Due the same day as my sister

(22 Posts)
Lady84 Wed 29-Apr-15 18:59:29

Paranoid we will pick the same name - should we run our favourites by her beforehand just to check they aren't the same? Keep thinking I don't want any potential disappointments or worry when the day comes!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 29-Apr-15 19:02:07

Yeah I think a frank name discussion should happen. Do you have a name you adore and would be non-negotiable?

Lady84 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:04:37

Not yet but getting there and by the due date I can imagine I will!

WishUponAStar88 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:05:25

Yes it might be worth having a chat if you are set on a name! If early days and you're both planning on finding out gender then maybe wait to see of you're having the same gender?
But how exciting to be due on the same day!!

Lady84 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:24:20

I know - freaky huh?!

neither of us have found out the sex so might not matter after all.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 29-Apr-15 19:31:12

She is probably having the same worry tbh. Why not just bring it up next time you are together? Id want to know if I had to discount certain names. Similarly, I knew what I wanted to name DD even before I fell pregnant so id say "I am using X for mine if its a girl. Not that im saying you cant use it, just to forewarn you". I had no Boy Names so she could have gave me a list to avoid there.

sweetpeame Wed 29-Apr-15 19:37:31

Yes mention it to her if you think you have similar taste and there might be a chance you'd go for the same names. Hopefully you'll both have completely different ideas and that will put your mind at rest.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 29-Apr-15 19:41:48

Yeah thatd be much easier!! My SIL was due two months before me, and we had totally different tastes so it was easy in that regard.

Rosie29 Wed 29-Apr-15 20:39:06

Have a chat with her. My friend and I were due the same time, we had a chat and went through our shortlists! We had a few in common, said which ones we were keener on, and swore each other to secrecy!!

shakemysilliesout Wed 29-Apr-15 20:51:24

Same with me and my sister! We didn't discuss as she didn't want to discuss being pregnant at all. I was very worried about a clash but I had a boy and she had a girl. But generally I think it's first come first serve.

Liara Wed 29-Apr-15 20:56:40

I had this with my sister and the name she chose (unisex) was almost the same as the name we would have chosen for a girl.

As it happened we had a boy, so all was well.

steppemum Wed 29-Apr-15 21:18:19

My brother's 2 kids both have names that I love. I am really glad we weren't due on same day!

My other brother has completely different taste, I hadn't even heard of 2 out of 3 of their names!

steppemum Wed 29-Apr-15 21:46:32

My brother's 2 kids both have names that I love. I am really glad we weren't due on same day!

My other brother has completely different taste, I hadn't even heard of 2 out of 3 of their names!

steppemum Wed 29-Apr-15 21:47:11

bah, page froze. thought it hadn't posted

glittershoes Thu 30-Apr-15 08:58:09

I am due with my second baby six weeks after my sister is due with her first. As it turns out she is expecting a boy and I am expecting a girl but we did have a name conversation prior to finding out just to see where we all were and rule out any clashes. She loved one of the girls names we had thought of for our DS1 and asked if they could use that if they had a girl. We were happy for them to but may now take it back as we are having a girl and them a boy!

BreeVDKamp Thu 30-Apr-15 12:01:51

Fun! My SIL is due 2 days before me (I'm due in 2 weeks!). They don't want to tell us their name but are worried we'll pick it, so told us the first letter and how many letters........ I ended up just telling them all the names on our list which start with that letter. Luckily I think we have very different tastes!

BlackberryandNettle Fri 01-May-15 21:40:17

Surprised to read people think you should discuss it - I think not mentioning it might be better. What if you have the discussion and do both like the same name? Maybe it's better not to discuss then no one will feel like they 'can't' use a name? Also what if you have a last minute change of heart? It's nice to be able to announce the name to the family imo rather than disclose before. Hopefully you'll choose differently so it won't matter anyway!

Seriouslyffs Fri 01-May-15 21:43:44

Don't discuss it! Both choose the name you want- it would be a) an extraordinary coincidence if you chose the same name and b) so cool!

cocacola1006 Fri 01-May-15 23:20:10

I'm totally torn!
On one hand I think if you like the same name and don't find out they've used it until you're almost popping you won't have long to come up with something else. Or even if it's a middle name clash.
But at the same time I wouldn't want everyone to know my names so i would ask them not to discuss further. And maybe go for a 5-10 you like rather than one just in case you swap

cocacola1006 Fri 01-May-15 23:21:08

The letters idea might be a nice compromise!

Lady84 Sun 03-May-15 21:53:16

I really like the letters idea! I might mention that and see what she thinks! Thanks smile

Variousrandomthings Sun 03-May-15 21:54:43

Or you could both write the names down and show the other

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now