Roan? Roan cannot be a real name.. can it? :s

(38 Posts)
PamShoo Thu 28-Aug-14 13:13:39

Hello - first post here, I feel nervous haha!

Pregnant with first DC - had a dream (I knowblush) about a red headed boy with the name Roan?! confused
Mentioned it to DH this morning - not as a suggestion, more along the lines of 'weird dream' conversation - he is considering it as a name.. says it sounds like a nice name to use.. I on the other hand cannot possibly believe it is an actual name?!

Is it? I can't use it for DC, can I..?
I think I know the answer to this next question but-- what would you think if you heard a child with this name?

bakingtins Thu 28-Aug-14 13:15:24

Rowan? It can be used for either sex, but I only personally know a girl called this.
Roan is a colour for horses, sorry.

PamBagnallsGotACollage Thu 28-Aug-14 13:15:59

Like Rowan as in Rowan Atkinson or R-ow-n?

SirChenjin Thu 28-Aug-14 13:16:50

Roan is a coat colour for animals. I know a Rohan - not sure if that's any better?

FreeSpiritsBadAttitude Thu 28-Aug-14 13:17:23

Roan is a northern European variant of Rowan. I quite like it.

IntheYear2525 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:17:49

Roan is a colour, I've only ever heard it used for horses and it's a mix of white and coloured (usually chestnut) hairs and it makes the horse look pink-ish. It would be appropriate for a red-headed boy and I think it sounds quite nice. He might be mistaken for Rowan or Ronan quite a bit though.

RustyBear Thu 28-Aug-14 13:18:39

I know a 12 year old boy called Roan, pronounced Row-un (Row as in your boat, not as in argument)

mineymo Thu 28-Aug-14 13:19:40

I know a male Rohan and a female Rowan, both pronounced Row - an. Roan as I know it is pronounced to rhyme with bone and is a reddish colour, think Irish setters or red horses. It could be a welsh/irish variation of Rowan though I suppose. Get thee to nameberry.

Bowlersarm Thu 28-Aug-14 13:20:47

Not sure if it's a proper name, but I like it!

Wenchelda Thu 28-Aug-14 13:20:49

Not heard of Roan but I LOVE Rowan, for a boy or girl.

Rohan for a boy, Rowan for a girl (in my experience). If you didn't see it written down in your dream, could he have been a little Rohan?

KittyandTeal Thu 28-Aug-14 13:29:47

I taught a red haired Roan (pronounced ro-an) a few years ago. How weird. He was lovely but had a very tough life.

eagle2010 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:29:51

Roan is a Celtic name - think the original name is Rowan and it means "red headed".

Roan is also the Irish Gaelic word for "seal" if that means anything!

atticusclaw Thu 28-Aug-14 13:38:02

Honestly? I'd think you can't spell Rowan.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:39:27

I've heard of Rohan.

dinkystinky Thu 28-Aug-14 13:44:25

Rowan and Rohan are really names (celtic and hindu respectively)

Chennai Thu 28-Aug-14 13:47:58

I know three boy Rowans. Never met a girl one.

snice Thu 28-Aug-14 13:52:41

(waits for RowanMumsnet to appear)

Laquila Thu 28-Aug-14 13:55:48

I'd think you'd used a variant of Rowan and would probably think it more likely to be used for a boy, spelt that way. I really like it, however you spell it!

All names were man-made, at some point or another ;)

nomdemere Thu 28-Aug-14 13:57:39

I think your dream is telling you that you are having a little red-head! I am usually very anti made-up names, but I rather like this one smile

thekitchenfairy Thu 28-Aug-14 14:00:57

Rowan is a Celtic name and in Cornwall often spelt Roan or the variant Ruan.

I love it-- so much that Ds2 has it (he is Rowan) and never had negative response to his name.

If you like it....go for it!!

bauhausfan Thu 28-Aug-14 14:02:40

I think it's lovely. Your dream sounds cool. Any chance of the baby being a red-head?

GlaceDragonflies Thu 28-Aug-14 14:03:36

All of the Rowans that I know are male. I know a Rohan, his name was chosen because it's Irish - I've no idea if it is, that is what his mother told me.
Roan reminds me of a strawberry roan horse.

GlaceDragonflies Thu 28-Aug-14 14:04:45

Oh, and Rowan - the ones I know pronounce it Row-en and Row-an.

TotleighTowers Thu 28-Aug-14 15:57:04

I think it's a lovely name but would probably spell it Rowan or Rohan.

Rowan feels more feminine than masculine to me but I think that is just because the few Rowans I've met have all been women.

Apparently Rohan can also be a Scottish version of Rowan, as well as a Hindu/Sanskrit name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now