Micky

(31 Posts)
clobobo Sun 24-Aug-14 17:11:46

Thoughts on the name Micky? (After my Grandad) not pg but keen to hear thoughts on this name?

BlackberryandNettle Mon 25-Aug-14 20:46:25

For some people Micky is a nickname for a penis, this would put me off

IceRocket Mon 25-Aug-14 11:45:39

I'm glad you enjoyed it grin

Icky Micky made me sick with laughter!

IceRocket Mon 25-Aug-14 11:08:28

Reminds me of icky micky which is what my mum used to call bogeys when we were kids. "Blow your nose you've got an icky micky" wonder if it was a thing or if it was just my mum?

Gemerama82 Mon 25-Aug-14 10:52:14

NickNack me too, just started singing 'oh Micky what a pity you don't understand....'

Glad I'm not the only one!

OP I like Michael, not massively keen on Micky.

wigglesrock Mon 25-Aug-14 10:46:10

I've quite a few Michaels in both my husband and my family. It's a lovely name and of the 5 I know, it's never shortened, always Michael.

Scarletohello Mon 25-Aug-14 10:45:27

We used to have a cat called Micky!

FoodieMum3 Mon 25-Aug-14 10:38:58

Michael is such a beautiful name, it's a crime to shorten it IMO.

Lifesalemon Sun 24-Aug-14 22:00:57

I don't like Micky, reminds me of the annoying 80s tv programme about a robot. (Showing my age now)

NickNackNooToYou Sun 24-Aug-14 21:10:33

First thing that springs to mind...
Hey Micky
You're so fine
You're so fine, you blow my mind
Hey Micky

Possibly showing my age grin

aubreye Sun 24-Aug-14 20:55:48

One of my DBrothers is called Michael. My family call him Mickey or Mikey. My father used to call him Mick rarely and his friends called him Mike. The thing is with Michael, you and people around you can shorten it however you want.

florascotia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:52:35

Gosh, OP, I really did not mean to sound rude about your grandad. I was just talking about what the various nicknames for Michael meant to me. They'll probably have other much more powerful and positive associations for you, for family reasons. Though (as always) it's nice to give a child the full name on a BC, so they have more flexibility to choose later.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 24-Aug-14 19:47:03

Michael and Mikey are great. Mick is pretty bad, Mickey is really awful. If you must, at least give him Michael as a name, and give the poor sod a choice.

MerryMarigold Sun 24-Aug-14 19:46:58

How about Michaelangelo? Ds2 has one in his class! I always want to shorten it to Micky, but no-one does. It is the full shebang. Always.

Sophronia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:44:03

I definitely prefer it as a nickname for Michael, then you/he would have options, Micky, Mikey, Mick etc.

florascotia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:41:28

Afraid I don't like Mike, Mikey, Mick, Micky, though I don't mind Michael. It's not my particular taste, but a name with a long and splendid history.

For short, what about Mikko or Mischa?

FatewiththeLeadPiping Sun 24-Aug-14 19:36:09

Taking the micky.

TenThousandSpoons Sun 24-Aug-14 19:33:14

I was also going to say Micky is slang for penis in Ireland - so I gleaned from Marian Keyes novels.

Love Michael though.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 24-Aug-14 19:29:47

Hope you're not living in Ireland grin

JimmyCorkhill Sun 24-Aug-14 19:26:46

Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind hey Mickey <clap clap clap> Hey Mickey ,clap clap clap>

I love Mick and Mickey (with an 'e'). Always have, always assumed I was alone smile

In Ireland, we often call penis a micky..sorry that's all I see wen I see the name!

Montsti Sun 24-Aug-14 18:50:07

I don't like Mick/Mickey, but I do like Michael nn.Mikey.

birdofthenorth Sun 24-Aug-14 17:50:24

I love Mick and Mickey, I much prefer them to Mike and Mikey, and they are much less used these days. You may get the odd Mickey Mouse comment with Mickey but people would soon tire of that! I also like Mitch, bit that it's hugely relevant to you.

clobobo Sun 24-Aug-14 17:45:17

Allmimsy, thanks for referencing Mikey, never thought of that!

Cornflakes no need need to apologise! I would have assumed also! I am a very lucky lady to still have him here x x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now