If I, as a British person with no connection to the USA, named my daughter

(75 Posts)
helloagainhowareyou Fri 22-Aug-14 15:54:33

Dana (pronounced day-na) would you think it was weird?

I love the name but I've never met or heard of a British person with the name before. All the fictional characters named Dana that I can think of off the top of my head are all American and the only two Dana's I've met in real life were both American.

I mentioned the name as a possibility to my mum and she looked at me like this hmm. A friend who I told also seemed to raise her eyebrows slightly.

Is it really that out there or weird?

Chennai Fri 22-Aug-14 15:55:57

I've always thought it was pronounced dar-na but may be wrong!

PeterParkerSays Fri 22-Aug-14 15:57:49

It just reminds me of the 1970s Irish singer, rather than an American name. I wouldn't chose it, sorry.

girliefriend Fri 22-Aug-14 15:58:03

Don't really like the name (for a little girl just think its not very pretty) but I don't think it is weird or out there!!

Mondaybaby Fri 22-Aug-14 15:59:26

It is a pretty name but I would pronounce it 'Daa na' not 'Day na'.
If you really like it then go with it!

juneybean Fri 22-Aug-14 15:59:36

I wouldn't think it was weird, a lot of "american" names creep over.

I just don't rate it as a name generally.

mrsnec Fri 22-Aug-14 16:00:21

we're English and dh wanted it and had it on his shortlist. I said no but only because I can think of some much better names. He's a massive x files fan though.

It's not out there or weird imo.

GlacindaTheTroll Fri 22-Aug-14 16:00:40

Yes, I'd find it weird because the (well established) UK and Ireland pronunciation is Dah-na.

It's not a particularly fashionable name right now (in terms of frequency of use) but it's definitely not a new US import.

Are you OK with the prospect of pointing out the different pronunciation to everyone who reads it and uses the trad one?

helloagainhowareyou Fri 22-Aug-14 16:04:42

Chennai, I've never heard it pronounced dar-na before - I'm thinking Dana Scully, Dana from Ghostbusters and the oldest daughter from Poltergeist - all day-na. Both the women I met with the name were day-na's too.

Although from doing a quick read around it appears day-na is also the American pronunciation and that most British people would actually pronounce it dar-na or dan-na (hard d). Now I'm getting worried that I'm going to have to be correcting people on how to pronounce it all the time confused

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 22-Aug-14 16:05:52

In the US, it is almost always pronounced Day-na. I know several, but I am in the US.

The one with the broad/long a sound would be Donna in the US.

And Dana in the US can be a man or a woman's name.

WiggleGinger Fri 22-Aug-14 16:05:58

I know a Dana &. Dayna!
Both are pronounced the way you will choose to.
We are in England.

Lunastarfish Fri 22-Aug-14 16:09:38

I don't think it is particulalry American. I thought you were going to say something like Chuck or Mary-Ellen!

I like Dana. I know a Dayna.

Andcake Fri 22-Aug-14 16:22:42

I think of it to be Irish tbh - ok name- not a personal favourite but not horrible !

KatoPotato Fri 22-Aug-14 16:25:08

My DH worked with an American man called Dana - (pronouned DAYNA)

also Dana the animated tv series spin off from Beavis and Butthead.

I like it

Floop Fri 22-Aug-14 16:27:45

I like it. Would pronounce it Day-na.

Hassled Fri 22-Aug-14 16:28:14

If you're very old you'll remember "All Kinds of Everything" by Dana (Dar-na)- the winning (?) Irish Eurovision entry of the early 70s. So older people will think Darna, I reckon.

But it's easy enough to correct people, and it's pretty either way.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Fri 22-Aug-14 16:32:37

I have met a Dayna and a Danna, both spelt Dana.

KittenOverlord Fri 22-Aug-14 16:38:30

I know a Dana, I assumed it was pronounced Dayna but it's actually Darna. She's the only one I know.

DoubtfireDear Fri 22-Aug-14 16:38:48

I only know of one Dayna in Scotland amd its spelt Dayna and pronounced so.

I wouldn't think it was strange or out there, I actually think its' quite pretty for a girl and like tye Dana spelling, though I wouldn't pick it because the one I know of is from a Scottish TV show and it would have very negative connotations as a result.

EdithWeston Fri 22-Aug-14 16:49:30

I'd pronounce it Dar-na (like both Dana, the Irish eurovision winner, or Dana International, the Israeli one).

ShadowStar Fri 22-Aug-14 17:34:00

I'd pronounce it Dar - na too.

But it doesn't feel particularly American to me.

Michonne Fri 22-Aug-14 17:47:57

I like it pronounced Day-na, but I think most people in the UK would assume it's Dar-na. That would annoy me too much, personally, always having to correct people.

MrsBungle Fri 22-Aug-14 17:51:11

I thought it was Irish and I eitjd pronounce it dah-na. I like it either pronounciaton though.?

MrsBungle Fri 22-Aug-14 17:51:42

That's supposed to say "I would pronounce..."

PickledPorcupine Fri 22-Aug-14 18:01:24

Anyone who ever watched the x-files would pronounce it Day-na. I would love to use it but as I was x-files obsessed as a child/teen I think I'd get a lot of hmm.

Great name, go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now