Scottish boys names?

(44 Posts)
Bubblybint Sun 27-Jul-14 06:25:10

My DH and I are expecting a little boy in December. DH is Scottish so we have agreed to go with a Scottish name. But we can't agree! I like traditional/royal names. He doesn't. The only one we've been able to come up with that's made it on the list is Toren. It's quite unusual so would be good to get some opinions... Or other suggestions...

JollyGolightly Sun 27-Jul-14 12:37:19

Hector is my favourite Scottish boys' name at the moment. Alexander nn Alec or Sandy is perennially popular up here too.

Or what about; Lewis, Euan, Stewart, Struan, Hamish, Forres, Duncan, Callum, Cameron, Harris, Arran, Robbie.

florascotia Sun 27-Jul-14 12:41:59

Toren is not a Scottish boy's name. It's a made-up one. That's fine if it's what you would like - your baby, your choice.

The spelling should be Torin. It's the English version of the Gaelic name Torfhinn (pronounced Torin - the 'o' as in 'cot').

DessieLou Sun 27-Jul-14 15:59:44

I know a Scottish Torran. Others i know of are...
Fraser
Dougie
Struan
Gregor
Fergus
Angus

YNK Sun 27-Jul-14 16:04:13

Sorley
Fraser
Murdo,
Mungo,
Lachlan
Findley

DessieLou Sun 27-Jul-14 16:06:03

Oh and Aonghus (pronounced Iness), Lorne, Brodie, Jamie, Stuart.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Sun 27-Jul-14 16:10:07

I like Angus and Gregor.

Alexander/Alec
Finlay
Andrew/Drew
Colin
David
Donald
Nichol/Nicol
Ian/Iain
Ewan
Robert
James
Charles
Stuart
William
Niall
Rory/Ruairi
Roderick

nyldn Sun 27-Jul-14 16:13:22

I like Toren. Spell it whichever way you'd like.

aylesburyduck Sun 27-Jul-14 16:24:22

Struan - it's top of my list. I love it grin

306235388 Sun 27-Jul-14 16:29:43

Both my dc have very Scottish names. Names which we considered and maybe one we chose

Struan
Ruari (not Gaelic spelling but prefer this)
Blair
Euan
Cameron
Callum
Alexander
Lachlan
Brodie
Fergus
Fraser
Innes
Angus
Murdoch
Douglas
Duncan
Erskine
Evan

Groovee Sun 27-Jul-14 16:32:48

Murray
Rory
Struan
Fraser
Finlay
Rhuaridh
Collum
Callum
Cameron
Lewis
Logan
Harris
Hamish
Hector

Alasdair
James
Bryce
Wreford
Iain

Bubblybint Tue 29-Jul-14 11:04:45

Toren appears in 2 Scottish baby names books. Apparently it's a variant of Torrence and means hilltop or something?

Thanks for all your suggestions - these are pretty much the names we've worked through and failed to agree on! My friend has just had a baby called Struan, I like that too, but a bit no go now! I am at a loss!

weegiemum Tue 29-Jul-14 11:20:24

What about Tormond? It's the Gaelic version of Norman (and much nicer!)

Other Gaelic-type names could be Iain, Seonaidh, Aodhan, Malachy, Lorn, (plus all the other ones mentioned - my dc know lots of Gaelic-speaking dc!).

Deux Tue 29-Jul-14 11:25:06

There's a place on the Isle of Skye called Torrin. FWIR, it means small hill/hillock.

<irrelevant> .

weebarra Tue 29-Jul-14 11:27:11

Alasdair
Murdo
Murray
Struan
Hamish
Innes

Bubblybint Tue 29-Jul-14 13:23:31

I LOVE Alasdair, DH vetoed it because he knew someone called Alasdair who he didn't want the baby to share a name with (the silly basis for a lot of his vetoes). James etc is out because he thinks it's too English, Murray he loves but it just makes me think of rugby (also possibly a silly reason to veto).

Bubblybint Tue 29-Jul-14 13:26:16

Deux, you have given me an idea. I'm going to put down the name books and get out a map of Scotland. Ds1 happens to be called after a place near Stirling so a bit of geography may help out here too....

weebarra Tue 29-Jul-14 13:26:25

Hmm, how can James be English when we've had six Scottish kings of that name?

KissMyFatArse Tue 29-Jul-14 13:31:35

Blair
Cairn
Argyle
Murdoch
Campbell

Bubblybint I'm intrigued. My grandparents lived in Stirling. Is he Sherrifmuir, or Bannockburn ... grin

thisvelvetglove Tue 29-Jul-14 14:24:02

Ross
Douglas
Duncan

Cereal0ffender Tue 29-Jul-14 14:28:50

Why has no one mentioned dougal?

Bubblybint Tue 29-Jul-14 17:22:32

Weebarra I totally agree! William (which I love) is also too English apparently. Not sure William Wallace would be happy with that claim. Anything royal is by default too English in DH mind. I don't follow the logic either.

This will out me but DS1 is called Keir - agreed after 3 months of debate...

Bubblybint Tue 29-Jul-14 17:23:50

I should suggest Bannockburn - no way it can be too English at leastwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now