Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Marley / Marli / Marlie...etc!

(30 Posts)
littlepickly Sun 20-Jul-14 15:51:57

We've just found out we're having our second DD and whilst last time I found it easy to pick a name this time it's much harder!

Last time round we really liked Marley (lots of variations on spelling to think about) and I just wanted to put it out there to get some general opinions on this name.

We already have a Lola and I think it goes well with that, and I like the idea of both girls having quite strong names which are spirited but still pretty.

So, what do you think? I'd hate to go down a chavvy route so please let me know honest thoughts blush

MilkandCereal Sun 20-Jul-14 15:52:57

I think of Marley as a boys name personally. I do love it on a boy. I'm not sure if I do on a girl.

Mumof3xox Sun 20-Jul-14 15:56:55

How about Marnie? Marley reminds me of Marley & Me

turdfairynomore Sun 20-Jul-14 16:03:25

It reminds me of Charlie and Lola??

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 20-Jul-14 16:05:00

I know a Mali -I think it's pretty.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 20-Jul-14 16:10:37

Marley and Lola???? Suggest a rethink!!

ShellyF Sun 20-Jul-14 16:12:45

My lovely cat is called Marley .

Mali means flower

Superrhan Sun 20-Jul-14 16:28:06

I think Marlie for a girl - Marley looks too boy IMO. I like it though smile

FoxSticks Sun 20-Jul-14 16:29:06

I like it - it was the name of the little girl in Case Histories, although spelt Marlee.

Mali is a Welsh girl's name, sounds different from Marlie though. Mali rhymes with Sally.

I like Marlie, knew a kick ass teen Marlie a while ago! Lola and Marlie did make me think of Charlie & Lola though.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 20-Jul-14 16:47:26

Marley isn't great for a girl and spelling it Marli/marlie/marlee doesn't make it any better.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 20-Jul-14 16:48:07

Marnie, Malia, Malika, Malita?

busyDays Sun 20-Jul-14 16:48:44

Definitely sounds like a boy/pet name to me. My first thought was also 'Marley & Me'. I also don't think it goes with Lola at all.

Bowlersarm Sun 20-Jul-14 16:50:33

I'd go Marnie as well.

Don't like Marley at all for a child, girl or boy.

I love Lola!

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 20-Jul-14 16:51:17

It's awful. Sorry.

SueBridehead Sun 20-Jul-14 16:52:05

Despite not being really my style I love it! Think it's unisex and would spell it Marley. I knew a girl called this and spelt like this but think hers was short for Marlene.

littlepickly Sun 20-Jul-14 16:57:59

Ha ha didn't even make the Charlie and Lola connection! Think I'm probably thinking of it the other way round smile

I do love it though - I prefer it with an ie or i on the end but DH says he likes ey!

Just need to think of a pretty middle name to go with it smile

friendface Sun 20-Jul-14 17:38:14

Marley (or Marlie) is lovely. I actually really like names like Avery, Hadley, Aubrey etc on girls although they would never get past DH! As for middle names, what about something floral, eg Rose or Blossom?

littlepickly Sun 20-Jul-14 17:46:10

Yeah I am liking the floral idea for a middle name friendface - we have a niece with Rose as a middle name but not sure if that matters?!

Sophronia Sun 20-Jul-14 20:02:07

I definitely prefer the similar Marnie.

Gugglebum Mon 21-Jul-14 04:53:48

My very girly girl is Marley. Her nn's are Mars Bar or just Mars. grin For some reason the i and ie endings look more on the young side to me.

weatherall Mon 21-Jul-14 05:35:15

Marina?

Harper would go well too.

littlepickly Mon 21-Jul-14 08:39:59

Love the sound of your girly Marley gugglebum, I think that's what I'm hoping for as our first DD is very girly completely unintentionally!
Your nicknames are lovely too smile it's funny how nn's turn out as you'd probably never predict them!

Weatherall I really like Harper but didn't want to copy the beckhams!! Although if we really like a name I guess we shouldn't worry about that!

Gingerjv Mon 21-Jul-14 14:13:33

I do not like name Marley. think about the movie "marley and me"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now