Boys names - there's always a problem with our faves!

(30 Posts)
madmayday Fri 18-Jul-14 20:09:19

DC3 due soon and has boy parts! We are bloody fussy and can't agree on much. The few names we do like seem to throw up problems! Bloody frustrating. Aaaargh!!! grin

DS1 is Daniel Patrick (nickname Dan)
DD is Annabel Lily (nickname Bel)

Our surname is one syllable long and starts with 'S'. And we would like something that can be either formal or shortened like the other kids' names!

Here are the very few names we like and the reason's we they are not suitable...

Matthew/Matt We both like this as a full name, but I had a relative of the same name who sadly died recently at a young age. So it is a slightly worrying name choice (superstitious) and more importantly, I worry it would be disrespectful to his surviving relatives...

Samuel/Sam We both love Sam but not only is it the name of two of my relatives (real copycat territory here) but it also rhymes with Daniel somewhat! Is it a little silly to have brothers named Daniel and Samuel?

Oliver/Olly DP's niece's name is Olivia. The cousin's will see each other regularly and having virtually the same name could cause a fair bit of confusion!

Benjamin/Ben My favourite! But I don't know why I'm even writing this as DP "hated Ben at school" and refuses point blank to even consider it. sad

Gabriel/Gabe DP quite likes but is afraid that his metrosexual gene will rub off on DS2 and the poor kid will be known as "Gay" throughout school! I'm not 100% on this. grin

Dominic/Dom DP really likes but again, we both know an odious human with the name. Off-putting! I'm not 100% either.

Jacob/Jake We both love Jake but are not really there with Jacob. But he needs to have a longer version!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help us! We are rubbish!!! If anyone has a winning alternative we will love you forever!!! grin

OublietteBravo Fri 18-Jul-14 21:22:06

How about Timothy?

Dan, Bel and Tim has a nice flow.

catsofa Fri 18-Jul-14 23:19:05

I love Timothy!

MsCoconut Fri 18-Jul-14 23:46:37

For a different take on the Matthew/Samuel dilemma, in certain families/religious traditions, the most respectful way to name a child is after a dead relative. It symbolizes the circle of life, new life carrying on where another had left off etc.

On the other hand, to name a child after a living relative is to more or less wish the relative who had the name first dead. (My grandma got a bollicking from her mother when her mother felt the middle name she had chooses for her second daughter was too similar to her own; the middle name was subsequently changed.)

Iownafourinchporsche Sat 19-Jul-14 08:44:08

Joe
Joseph

KatharineClover Sat 19-Jul-14 22:35:50

I have a Samuel, and we considered Daniel but have (I think) taken it off the table due to the rhymey-ness: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/2118809-Samuel-and-Daniel-too-rhyme-y-Even-though-full-names-arent-wont-be-used
We have a couple of options now, but I'm still not sure what we will go with as nothing seems to be his name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now