Amber?

(39 Posts)
angeltreats Thu 26-Jun-14 11:15:13

This is a bit pre-emptive as I'm only 18 weeks! DH and I like lots of boys names but there very few girls names we agree on, and as we're not finding out the gender we need to think of both. Unfortunately we have a difficult surname which means we can't use any name beginning with an S, and I am adamant that I want a name with only one spelling that will be dead easy to pronounce (having gone through life constantly spelling my name and people still getting it wrong).

Two we both like are Amber and Emma, with Amber probably the favourite - however I read somewhere that Amber was considered a bit chavvy. Apologies if this offends anyone but I don't want my child to be judged by his or her name.

Any thoughts? I don't know any real life Ambers.

Benchmark Thu 26-Jun-14 19:37:51

Love both, probably prefer Amber smile

Spottybra Thu 26-Jun-14 19:39:58

Would it be too awful to combine the two and have an Ember? Sounds very similar.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 26-Jun-14 20:03:08

Amber is lovely. Emma is dull.

PunkAssMoFo Thu 26-Jun-14 21:49:51

Both lovely names.

DramaAlpaca Thu 26-Jun-14 22:09:17

I have a preference for Emma, but Amber is lovely too.

Really like Amber Elizabeth.

angeltreats Fri 27-Jun-14 07:19:26

Oh definitely not Ember, the poor child would spend half her life correcting people who called her Amber. Out of all the names I liked, Amber was the only vaguely unusual one. Having gone through life with an unusual name that has been a major inconvenience, I definitely don't want to pass that on to my offspring...

trinitybleu Fri 27-Jun-14 14:27:00

our DD's middle name is Amberley ... flows better with her other names smile

maggiethemagpie Fri 27-Jun-14 18:02:06

Also think its got the American beauty pageant /cheerleader vibe

OublietteBravo Fri 27-Jun-14 18:05:18

I know two Amber's - one is an Oxbridge graduate in her 30s and one is 10 and a friend of my DD. Neither is 'chavvy'

UriGeller Fri 27-Jun-14 18:09:47

One of my closest friends is called Amber. She's lovely.

The word is such a nice sound in the mouth.

Coral2094 Sat 28-Jun-14 21:39:30

Amber is such a lovely name. Emma is nice too but so popular, I'd much rather be called Amber

scottishmummy Sat 28-Jun-14 21:52:12

Your child will be judged by someone on the chosen name,thats just how it goes

VirkeligRodet Sat 28-Jun-14 23:39:37

I love it. I only know one. I also love the name Jemma, which is not mumsnet-approved either. :-/

scottishmummy Sat 28-Jun-14 23:44:08

Amber is a lovely name btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now