Amber?

(39 Posts)
angeltreats Thu 26-Jun-14 11:15:13

This is a bit pre-emptive as I'm only 18 weeks! DH and I like lots of boys names but there very few girls names we agree on, and as we're not finding out the gender we need to think of both. Unfortunately we have a difficult surname which means we can't use any name beginning with an S, and I am adamant that I want a name with only one spelling that will be dead easy to pronounce (having gone through life constantly spelling my name and people still getting it wrong).

Two we both like are Amber and Emma, with Amber probably the favourite - however I read somewhere that Amber was considered a bit chavvy. Apologies if this offends anyone but I don't want my child to be judged by his or her name.

Any thoughts? I don't know any real life Ambers.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 11:34:32

I do and she's not "chavvy" she's the dd of a very middle class family. But I do prefer Emma. It's so classic and pretty.

MrsWinnibago Thu 26-Jun-14 11:34:41

Should say the Amber I know is 6.

MrsMarigold Thu 26-Jun-14 11:36:24

I love Amber more than Emma but both are lovely. Congratulations and I hope it goes well.

brunette123 Thu 26-Jun-14 11:38:24

Congratulations!
Love Amber what a pretty name - prefer it to Emma - there seem to be alot of Emmas and not many Ambers.

I don't know any Ambers apart from Amber Valetta. It's an unusual name but I don't think it has particular connections to anyone considered to be "chavvy".

runlikeagirl Thu 26-Jun-14 11:38:48

My Amber is 2 and not at all chavvy smile

Although when she was a tiny baby a friend of my mother told me she knew a horse and a dog called Amber! Not very tactful!

angeltreats Thu 26-Jun-14 11:40:33

Thank you all smile I do think Amber goes better with our surname (don't want to say what it is as it's very unusual and will probably identify me). I like Elizabeth for a middle name which I think goes with both.

ViviPru Thu 26-Jun-14 11:43:13

Amber Elizabeth is lovely.

I like amber as it fulfills my name-holy-grail criteria of uncommon yet not weird. Good choice OP.

deadwitchproject Thu 26-Jun-14 11:47:04

Agree Amber Elizabeth sounds lovely.

weatherall Thu 26-Jun-14 11:50:43

I love amber.

It was on my list for dd.

I like that it's strong and has a consonant ending.

I think a tiny number of people will put it in the chavvy category, less so than jade but more so than scarlet.

squoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 11:50:58

I like Amber and don't think it's 'chavvy' at all.

It's nice and hippy-ish. She'd be barefoot with flowers in her hair.

Pinkje Thu 26-Jun-14 11:54:41

Both Emma and Amber are lovely; Emma likely to be shortened to Emms though.

jeee Thu 26-Jun-14 11:55:14

I like Amber and Emma - but if you call her Amber you can buy gorgeous jewelry to go with her name.

Guin1 Thu 26-Jun-14 12:44:35

Much prefer Amber. Agree with pp that it's more hippy than chavvy!

Because there are quite a few Emmas around, she may end up being called Emma Surname at school, and if your surname is difficult then it will be mispronounced.

Nereida Thu 26-Jun-14 12:48:21

I know an Amber who could be considered 'chavvy', she was one of the bullies at my school! So I personally don't like it for that reason. Also I think in the US it has connotations as an 80s cheerleader kind of name (along with Tiffany, Heather, Brittany etc.)

I much prefer Emma.

TryingToBePractical Thu 26-Jun-14 12:52:09

My DD has a friend called Amber. Very MC. I do not think of it as a chavvy name at all, although have also heard that.
I know an Ambra

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 26-Jun-14 12:53:50

I know of one Amber - she is not 'chavvy', she is a lovely little girl from a really nice family. Her mum wanted a colour type name and also shortlisted Ruby and Scarlett before deciding on Amber.

Personally I prefer Emma - a clasic name you can't go wrong with!

Congratulations!

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 26-Jun-14 12:56:29

Emma is nicer lovely classic name

RustyBear Thu 26-Jun-14 13:07:59

DD (now in early 20s) is Amber Alexandra.
I did have one mum at school say once that I 'wasn't how she expected a mum of an Amber to be', but I didn't enquire what exactly she meant.

Incidentally when we chose it, we thought it wouldn't be able to be shortened, but DD as a teenager was generally known as 'Bam' (short for Bambi) by her friends.....

mrsnec Thu 26-Jun-14 13:08:24

I prefer Amber to Emma too. Dh had Emma on his shortlist. I don't hate it I just didn't love it enough. Same reason as Vivi, that's my holy grail for names too but it's easier said than done.

I know an Amber I wouldn't describe her as a chav or mc but somewhere in the middle. A bit like me!

funnyoldonion Thu 26-Jun-14 13:49:12

You could consider Ember which is a lovely unique name and a mixture of the two x

burgatroyd Thu 26-Jun-14 16:07:54

You are a genius, funny! Ember is great.

However between amber and Emma I prefer amber. I do agree with neirada that its rican cheerleader rather than hippy or chav.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 26-Jun-14 16:09:40

Love love love amber!!! So wanted it fir dd2

Sidthesausage Thu 26-Jun-14 19:05:53

Amber is nice. Emma also. There's also Emmeline or Emmie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now