Anna

(49 Posts)
missingmargarita Fri 13-Jun-14 08:24:37

Love the name Anna, but concerned it may have become really popular with the release of Frozen and won't be able to see the spike on the charts until after baby is born!

Anyone seen a spike in babies called anna amongst babies born this year? Thanks!

bucketofbathtoys Fri 13-Jun-14 16:36:38

I love it. I know a 7yr old and it's timeless

MyrtleDove Fri 13-Jun-14 22:37:07

I love Anna but also Anne - makes me think of Anne of Green Gables.

Paq Fri 13-Jun-14 22:38:46

I love Anna. As others have said, beautiful and timeless. The appeal will last longer than 'Frozen'!

MadScientistsRuleTheAsylum Fri 13-Jun-14 22:49:14

I have an Anwen who is nicknamed Annie quite a lot - more unusual but same lines?

Vijac Fri 13-Jun-14 23:26:42

I love it. Not seen frozen.

funnyoldonion Sat 14-Jun-14 12:07:30

How about Anya? I adore that name but DH wouldn't let me, so I have a little Violet. How about Annabel? Although think Anna is really pretty too x

NanaNina Sat 14-Jun-14 12:44:13

My beautiful grand-daughter is Anya - it's Russian in origin and very unusual.

Anya is a lovely name, nina

NanaNina Sat 14-Jun-14 21:28:11

It is isn't it BBQs(and yes I think they're over rated too!) and my DGD is a lovely girl, not that I'm biased or anything!

MummyBeerest Sat 14-Jun-14 21:37:33

I love Anna. Frozen wouldn't bother me. Elsa would seem a bit on the nose.

Hannah's pretty too.

DramaAlpaca Sat 14-Jun-14 21:39:06

Love Anna.

tilbatilba Sat 14-Jun-14 21:45:51

Anna is such a beautiful name - not keen on Ana at all

Devora Sat 14-Jun-14 21:47:37

Anna is a great name.

bearwithspecs Sat 14-Jun-14 22:34:52

Elsa is the one to avoid !

HappydaysArehere Sat 14-Jun-14 23:59:15

It's lovely. A classic. Anna Sewell (author of Black Beauty) Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Popular in the past and timeless. Forget Frozen there are too many other Annas of significance to concern yourself on that score. Hey, another bonus, easy for her to learn to write when she goes to school.

Mutteroo Sun 15-Jun-14 01:56:37

Classic and beautiful. Some might say its a safe name but who cares? There'll always be someone who disses a name & the reason will seem valid to them. The only opinion that matters is that of the person who is having the baby.

TheHorseHasBolted Mon 16-Jun-14 23:43:09

I think Anna is too timeless and familiar to be associated with any one character, and I definitely like it. Isn't it pronounced more like Ana in Frozen anyway? If you pronounce it the usual way with a short A, the association will be even less noticeable.

Elsa for me will always be the hot-tempered Croatian ex of a friend of ours.

devoncreamtea Tue 17-Jun-14 08:45:32

Anna is beautiful. My dd's middle name and one of my favourite girls names - I like strong names with a soft edge - fits the bill.

Don't worry about Frozen ime all the kids think her name is 'Arna'...!!!

I am having a boy, but spent a lot of time before I knew thinking of ways to use Anna like names (couldn't choose Anna as dd already has mn) - I came up with:

Anya
Anouk (my favourite, French means: 'little Ann' pron: An-ook)
Anais (An eye iss - like Anais Nin; or Annay - like the perfume)

Hope that helps!
Although I would go for Anna as is just such a lovely name.

MagnificentMaleficent Tue 17-Jun-14 08:49:04

If you are worried what about Hannah?

I like Anna though.

longestlurkerever Tue 17-Jun-14 18:08:49

I have an Anna. I still love it. Being too popular was my worry too, though we don't actually come across many. Think it is one of those names that is always reasonably popular never very popular. I think it may be more poor in Ireland though. Other similar names we have come across are Hannah, Annabel, Annie but I prefer Anna (obviously). I think it suits a child and a woman, which I liked, and it is international, which was important to dh. We have a long and difficult to spell surname so wanted an easy and classic first name.

KlokkenErOl Tue 17-Jun-14 18:10:57

I like it. I really like it actually, it's pretty but not too girly like lily (sorry, that's just my opinion). I think if any name races up the charts after frozen it'll be elsa. People have always been aware of the name Anna.

why do americans pronounce Anna like Honour? so odd.

longestlurkerever Tue 17-Jun-14 18:11:15

Oh I do like Anais and Anouk though Devon- good suggestions. Nancy is an Anna variant too but I am not massively keen on it personally.

fingersonbuzzers Tue 17-Jun-14 18:12:21

It doesn't bring Frozen to mind for me as the pronunciation is completely different (unless you are planning to pronounce it Ar-na?)

Anya is ok but I disagree that it's very unusual - I know three in DDs school alone!

dementedma Tue 17-Jun-14 22:09:49

Love Anna.
Wanted for dd1 but dh wasn't keen so she is Roseanna.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now