Is first and surname alliteration okay?

(24 Posts)
KarasKite Thu 12-Jun-14 22:40:51

In my case, the first name is two syllables beginning with L, middle is three syllables beginning with E and surname is one syllable beginning with L.

Do you think alliteration is acceptable? Or do you think it should be avoided?

BikeRunSki Thu 12-Jun-14 22:42:59

I love name alliteration. Dd was nearly Kirsty Cooper.

ThingsThatShine Thu 12-Jun-14 22:45:48

So something like Lois lane? I think it works

dementedma Thu 12-Jun-14 22:48:44

James Joyce
Stephen Spielberg
Alan Ackroyd

OwlCapone Thu 12-Jun-14 22:52:18

Some work, some don't. If it's just the first letter, they tend to sound ok. Any more and they can sound odd.

LavenderCakes Thu 12-Jun-14 22:54:25

My name is alliterative and I've always loved that. It's about the only thing about me that is like a sparky girl heroine with pigtails and possibly a superhero power. Love it so much that DD1 is also alliterative. What's not to like?

TightyMcTight Thu 12-Jun-14 22:56:38

Love alliterative names. Tried it with DS but didn't like any fist names beginning with my surname letter!

ThursdayLast Thu 12-Jun-14 22:57:18

I'm all for appropriate alliteration

ThursdayLast Thu 12-Jun-14 22:58:03

grin
Seriously.

Itisafact Thu 12-Jun-14 22:58:21

It can be really nice think it makes a person memorable.

Nereida Thu 12-Jun-14 23:21:53

I like alliterative names. I think it would be fine.

Kantha Thu 12-Jun-14 23:36:33

I think it potentially works for L.

In our case it would be 'H' which is trickier to say as it is a softer sound. E.g.
Harriet Harman
Hugh Heffner

I would love to be convinced I am wrong though as I rather like the name Helen and my dad is a Hugh.

Alita7 Fri 13-Jun-14 00:06:48

it's perfectly fine if the sounds are different.

Mutteroo Fri 13-Jun-14 00:08:13

My name alliterates & I love it! Of course I wasn't born with my surname & have to thank my darling hubby. I did consider an alliterated name for DS, but we had such a strong no.1 choice that this other name didn't stand a chance.

CruCru Sat 14-Jun-14 14:26:35

Should be fine.

Crownjewel Sat 14-Jun-14 14:30:29

If this baby is a DS, he will have alliterative first name and surname (CC). If the two names "go" together, why not?

lljkk Sat 14-Jun-14 14:46:02

We've got a local decorator called Horace Horis. How can you forget a name like that? Perfect for the self-employed tradesman.

I think it can work very well.

Millysdream Sun 22-Jun-14 06:53:29

I love alliterative names but I lost mine when I got married ��

CapitalWasteland Sun 22-Jun-14 07:02:20

I was an L alliteration before I got married. Never thought a thing of it and was shocked at the age of 19 when someone commented on it as though it was strange! There were two other L alliterations in my year at school that I knew of as well. I didn't know until Mumsnet that it might be a "problem"!

BlueStarsAtNight Sun 22-Jun-14 09:26:51

Depends- if the first name is Lily or Lola I think that would be too much with an L surname. But if the only L's are at the start of each name then it could work nicely

BreeVDKamp Sun 22-Jun-14 11:22:06

I'm a HH!

Also if it's a girl they might marry someone and change their name (like I did) so I wouldn't worry too much about how a first name goes with a surname.

longestlurkerever Sun 22-Jun-14 11:32:09

I am also an L and have discounted a lot of L names as I think it can sound a bit cartoonish but plenty work fine. Would probably avoid Lily but our surname also ends in an 'ee' sound so that may be influencing me. Also if your name is an animal like Lamb or Fox it's probably best avoided.

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 22-Jun-14 11:37:26

We have a Mc"K sound" surname and first names are both "K" sounds and one of our girls choices was a M and the other a K.

Looking back even the names we were going to use all had a similar vibe smile

I clearly think it works but there are some combinations that can sound a bit cartoony on the lines of Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse grin

Topsyloulou Sun 22-Jun-14 11:38:05

We've discounted names starting Be as surname is very unusual 3 syllables also starting with Be & think it's a bit much which is a shame as I love Benedict & Bertie. Currently debating Reuben with DP as I think the be at the end is too close to the be at the beginning of the surname but he doesn't agree.

I think alliteration can be fab, just depends on the surname you're starting with. I know two JJs and their names work perfectly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now