What do you think?

I also like Max, John, Joseph, Arthur, Laurence

I'd like to avoid top ten if possible

MiloSimpson Thu 05-Jun-14 18:44:56

Seriously? Duncan is awful.

Joseph and Max I do like.

Laurence I LOVE.

emummy Thu 05-Jun-14 18:46:09

Great name, we have a Duncan. He likes the fact that there were King Duncan's in Scotland, he feels very grand! Your other names are nice too, personally not a fan of Arthur, but don't hate it. Congratulations on your soon to arrive baby boy!

janie2 Thu 05-Jun-14 18:47:57

Love it!

TheFace Thu 05-Jun-14 18:50:05

I prefer Joseph or Arthur out of your list. Not really a fan on Duncan.

bassingtonffrench Thu 05-Jun-14 18:50:58

a mix of opinions there!

how old is your Duncan emummy? I have never met a child with this name.

I like the royal connection though I'm not sure his connection with Macbeth was a happy one! I have two other children with sort of regal names so it would fit.

NorksEnormous Thu 05-Jun-14 19:22:38

Really not keen on Duncan- sorry! However love max and Joseph!

SpaceKoala Thu 05-Jun-14 19:28:57

I think it's a great name smile

Woozlebear Thu 05-Jun-14 19:41:59

I like it, and I reckon most people who don't like it just don't like it because its more of a 70s/80s name and ergo no longer fashionable. It's never been that common, but I've met quite a few Duncans my age but no younger ones.

It's a good solid proper name, good for a little boy, a young man and an older man, and doesnt really get shortened. But that little bit unusual too.

I love max as well. Find john dull IMO, Joseph is too popular and would only ever be joe. I always want to like Arthur more than I do- really dunno why I don't that much. IMO Laurence sounds pretentious but that's totally biased because the only Laurence's ive met have been!

Of your list I'd go for max or Duncan, with Duncan winning as its less of the moment. He'll probably go through school without another Duncan in his class, which is always nice.

Yama Thu 05-Jun-14 19:44:21

I like Duncan. I know of one Duncan who is under 2. He lives in Australia though (Scottish Mum).

Leeds2 Thu 05-Jun-14 19:57:32

I prefer Joseph from your list.

MrsBungle Thu 05-Jun-14 19:58:41

I really don't like the name Duncan.

littlewhitebag Thu 05-Jun-14 20:18:29

Duncan is a really popular name here in Scotland. I know loads. I really like it but then again it was my surname before i got married!

CruCru Thu 05-Jun-14 21:07:29

I like it.

bassingtonffrench Thu 05-Jun-14 21:12:46

mmm, seems to be a bit of a marmite name then?

those of you in scotland, do you mostly know adult duncans or child duncans?

we both have scottish branches to our families so that would also fit

Decanter Thu 05-Jun-14 21:18:36

OP I love it. I know a baby Duncan and think it suits him so much. When pregnant I considered both Duncan and Douglas, neither of which received rave reviews but I think people think too often in terms of whether or not a name suits a baby. All babies just "become" their name after a time anyway and Duncan (and Douglas imo) are fab names for boys/men. Good luck!

Decanter Thu 05-Jun-14 21:19:29

Meant to say, I'm in Scotland and know one baby Duncan and a few adults.

littlewhitebag Thu 05-Jun-14 21:22:42

I know only adult Duncan's now but two of them i have known since they were born and are now in their 20's. Both handsome and lovely boys.

TheBookofRuth Thu 05-Jun-14 21:25:14

I like it, but that may be because I only know one and he's one of the loveliest men in the world.

AuditAngel Thu 05-Jun-14 21:27:42

My brother is Duncan, and my cousin is married to a Duncan. Both around 40

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 05-Jun-14 21:29:45

Lots of Duncans in my American family tree, from a Scottish ancestor. I like it.

rachel234 Thu 05-Jun-14 23:04:24

Duncan is great - strong, solid and not overused/trendy. Great choice imo.

Duncan is strong and solid.

You might also like Douglas or Dougal.

ProtegeMoi Thu 05-Jun-14 23:52:34

I love the name Duncan, it was my cousins name who sadly passed away so holds special meanings for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now