Who else is struggling with boys' names?! Come and vent!

(61 Posts)
nasara Wed 04-Jun-14 20:18:31

This seems to be a very common subject on this forum, so are you also finding boys' names bloody hard?!

Girls' names seem to be so much easier - I have two already and would happily name a third! But first boy and I'm clueless!

These names have made it on to the list but for one reason or another haven't made me feel like they're "The One", except Oscar which I think is just way too popular for me.

Reuben
Caleb
Oscar
Jasper
Theo
Henry
Leon
Robert
Sebastian
Felix
Tristan
Rowan/Rohan
Dominic
Nathan/Nathaniel/Nate
Alexander
Fabian

Anyway, rant away! I know I'm not alone...

rootypig Wed 04-Jun-14 21:50:53

Reuben is a particularly delicious sort of sandwich grin

I still love the name though! possibly more

nasara Wed 04-Jun-14 22:19:51

strawberryjam, it looks like a good list - do you have a favourite?

Topsyloulou Wed 04-Jun-14 22:40:56

We're struggling with a boys name too. Had a girls name picked about a week after we found out I was pregnant & we just knew would be having a boy as a result! Our shortlist is currently

Theodore
Wilfred
Rex
Nathaniel
Zachariah
Alexander
Elijah
Sidney
Tobias
Callum
Finian
Seth
Rufus

Have gone off Theo a bit lately as it seems to be getting quite popular. Current favourite is Rufus.

Other names I like but can't use as we have a 3 syllable surname beginning with B are Bertie, Benedict, Bartholomew, James - family name, William & Fred - people I work with / for.

Taking my baby name book & a highlighter on holiday with me next weekend & hopefully we can find something we love.

strawberryjam Thu 05-Jun-14 06:18:51

I love Otis and Freddie, H likes them but doesn't love them

SquirrelledAway Thu 05-Jun-14 07:04:15

I find it hard to like Otis, to me it's the name of a lift company. I've always wondered if they have an office in a Reading.

friendface Thu 05-Jun-14 09:21:56

I am also struggling with DC3! With my older two DSs being teens (well, one pre-teen) I am feeling a bit out of the loop when it comes to trends. The older two are called Cai and Adam and so far our list contains Dougie and Gus - I dispair!

There are some fab names being suggested - Ivan and Nate are awesome

rachel234 Thu 05-Jun-14 14:04:01

Yes, it is an important choice that you want to get right. We had these on our shortlist for ds:

Dominic
Quentin
Sebastian
Thomas
Lucas

Nessalina Thu 05-Jun-14 15:47:26

I feel your pain. I've got a million girls names, but we're having a boy!
Me & DH sat down last night and compared shortlists, with neither of us being particularly passionate about one name or another, and it actually made it easier in a way! If one of us had our hearts set on a name we LOVED, and the other wasn't keen, then it wouldn't have been pretty grin!
We've got our list down to 10, with two that we particularly like the sound of (Theodore & Isaac). My long list looks a lot like yours actually!
Others that were on my list that aren't on yours and you may like:
Gregory
Benedict
Nicholas
Benjamin
Elliott
Jeremiah

miffybun73 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:50:41

The only boys names that I really love are Daniel (Dan) and Joseph (Joe)

rootypig Fri 06-Jun-14 23:58:10

miffy I have a cousin named Joseph Daniel nn Joe or Josie Dan smile

funnyface31 Fri 06-Jun-14 23:59:10

My DS is Roan and I love it! smile

nasara Sun 08-Jun-14 23:06:27

Has anyone been successful and found a name?

Today, I have considered and probably scrubbed from the list - Raphael, Rafe, Gilbert, Jude. Nothing seems to work for me grrrrr.

princessdave Mon 09-Jun-14 11:45:04

I have a (male) friend called Rohan, his wife is Rowan. I was sad they didn't name their son Ronan grin. TBF they picked Loki which really suits him.

Also have a well researched, thought out list of girls names (surname Smith so wanted names that are very rarely used so pored over 2012 and 2011 stats) to go with DD (Elodie) but if this baby is a boy then we are sort of agreed on something as neither of us love any boys names or feel like any are "the one". There just seem to be less boys names to choose from and all the good ones have been used on my cousins/friends/cats already (thomas, robert, george, benjamin, william, lucas, toby, oscar, max, ted, isaac, elliot, daniel, luke)

In fact the only one I really like is Percy but everyone looked hmm so that was that!

pilates Mon 09-Jun-14 11:57:14

Nathan - nn Nate

Really like the name Jared.

I agree girls names much easier. Good luck.

spence24 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:36:47

I just had a good chuckle at Rohan/Rowan. I feel their pain, mine and OH's names rhyme and we get no end of ridicule from our friends. Already getting people asking us to rhyme the baby's name too, which would be cruel!

Casey123 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:55:31

I'm the opposite to all of you ladies! I find girls names impossible. We have twins, Zachary and Jacob. They were named Vinnie and Ronnie for about 2 days before we decided they were a little too unusual, and went for some common names! I hate to admit it, but I still sometimes wish I had gone for Vinnie and Ronnie, I loveeee more unusual names, but the look on our families faces made us question it! But then again, at least they are sturdy, normal names that can't get too messed about with.

We've just had a brand new Theo and a new Charlie in the family. Surprisingly, they both have grown on me.

Thinkivebeenhacked, I love love love love your three names!

nasara Mon 09-Jun-14 21:51:54

princessdave I've considered Percy too - I think it has the workings of a great name!

pilates I've also considered Jared too - maybe I should be recreating a long short list...

casey123 I think I may regret not using a more unusual name. I think back to friends who have used rather marmitey names for boy and I recall feeling a bit puzzled by their names choices but now I totally get it.

I think I'm just on a quest for the right marmitey name for us and this little one... But then is a good solid, timeless name is the right choice?

Bah, this is hard!

princessdave Tue 10-Jun-14 09:00:16

nasara I did see a thread on here a while back and the OPs DS was already called Percy and people were downright mean about the name... even though she wasn't asking for opinions on Percy, she wanted suggestions for a brother! I really like it, cute for a baby, kinda cool for a teen. Maybe not so great for a grown up chap mind you but then it comes into its own again when they get to more a more advanced age. Grandad Percy sounds awesome.

DH said a Percy would get bullied but someone told me about "...& the Lightening Thief" being the latest hip movie (or book? I forget) franchise thing and names are so varied these days that I wonder if kids even pick on others based on their names? I tend to think children don't pay a great deal of attention to names in that sense as there are just so many different ones around these days..... confused

Casey123 Wed 11-Jun-14 20:24:51

Nasara, maybe you could look back to olddy names. Thats where I got lots of inspiration from, half of them havn't had a come back yet so are marmity and unusual enough, but most of them arn't too made up like some of the completely modern names today, so should be sturdy enough.

Good luck baby name chooossing everyone!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 11-Jun-14 20:45:10

Any closer OP? What are your dss called?

Ive found out im expecting a boy today and dh and I likenames at the opppsite ends of the spectrum!

nasara Wed 11-Jun-14 22:32:10

Casey123, I've trawled through the ONS spreadsheet looking into the 1000s but haven't come up with anything as well as googling popularity charts from the 1800s and early 1900s.

I woke up thinking of 'Marlow' this morning but can't ultimately it is a last name/place name and that goes against my stupid rules!

So, no closer ThinkIveBeenHacked sad I've got two little girls (Cora and Eliza - hello to anyone who knows me!).

shatteredmum1 Wed 11-Jun-14 22:53:21

Cosmo is fantastic!

fedupofrainydays Wed 11-Jun-14 23:10:59

Cosmo just reminds me of cosmopolitan magazine!!
I think Percy is cute too but can see why people take the piss.

MyrtleDove Thu 12-Jun-14 00:13:12

I haven't seen this mentioned but apologies if it has been - what about Robin? Old-fashioned but not made a comeback yet, but I think it's lovely. It's also not too fussy and works for an adult as well as a little boy.

fedupofrainydays Thu 12-Jun-14 06:57:37

My husband is called robin and he hates it - being named after a bird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now