Adam

(41 Posts)
Prettyinbeige Mon 02-Jun-14 17:36:44

My sister is about to have a boy, they have narrowed it down to 2 names but the favourite is Adam.
I like the name.
We were looking for a few opinions on Adam?

DramaAlpaca Mon 02-Jun-14 17:40:27

I like it a lot. It's a nice, neat, short name that isn't too popular at the moment. I like boys' names that can't be shortened & Adam fits the bill.

maggiethemagpie Mon 02-Jun-14 20:39:04

Love it! It's my son's middle name. When pregnant with DD, I was hoping she would be a girl because I would have wanted to call a boy that, but had already used it up with DS's name

skinmysunshine Mon 02-Jun-14 20:51:36

I don't love it but don't dislike it. Like the fact that it isn't too popular.

LLJ4 Mon 02-Jun-14 20:52:42

I have one. It attracts only positive comments. Strong, classic, familiar, multicultural, but not particularly common despite its statistical frequency.

My one niggle about it - and this is very trivial blush - is that it has a schwa in it. That is, a syllable without a proper vowel. Children's names get elongated often, for example when you call for them up the stairs or across a playground. They particularly get elongated by other children.

I hatehatehate it when he gets called Aderm (Aaaaadeeeerm). My other DC do not have any schwa syllables at all, on purpose.

Yes - lovely name. Sounds and looks good; easy to spell; nice and classic. I like!

CPtart Mon 02-Jun-14 20:54:05

I have one, and after 11 years it is still my favourite boys name. Timeless, classless, rarely shortened. Love it.

ThingsThatShine Mon 02-Jun-14 20:55:01

Really nice

Bowlersarm Mon 02-Jun-14 20:58:21

I like it.

Only1scoop Mon 02-Jun-14 20:59:10

Like it

deadwitchproject Mon 02-Jun-14 21:28:20

I think it's a lovely name.

I have one. Get lots of compliments on it I can manage to shorten it though but it's only me that does it. grin

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 02-Jun-14 21:37:53

Can't go wrong really.

It is a shame I dated an Adam once (for quite some time) and so can never use it.

Not least because he is one of two I've ever met.

evertonmint Mon 02-Jun-14 21:41:13

I love it. Would happily use it but DH hates it. So I guess we're 50:50!

DessieLou Mon 02-Jun-14 22:08:13

I love it! A good strong classic name.

Choccyhobnob Tue 03-Jun-14 11:19:48

It's my DH's name, I love it and although he says he hates his name (and has about 3 friends with the same name) I would def push to use it as a middle name if we have a DS any time soon!

squoosh Tue 03-Jun-14 11:33:38

I like it. The most swoonsome man I have ever met was called Adam so now it's a 'handsome' name to me.

capercaillie Tue 03-Jun-14 11:35:41

I like. It was considered as a name for DS one DH wasn't as keen. It's a classic name but not too popular.

Kantha Tue 03-Jun-14 15:59:53

Good name. Friends' son. Is called this. Frequently called 'Ads' by his family. Turns out it can be shortened!

Yeah I use Ads a lot. Friends also call him Adamski grin

This caught my eye and popped on to say DH is Adam, we're 40 somethings.

I call him Adam but he also gets called: Ads, Adamski, Addduuum and even Ad. Even a short name can be turned into something else!!

AngelsInWinter Tue 03-Jun-14 21:01:10

Yes, I've got an Adam. Like it a lot as its not really used now, but I had lots of friends called Adam (left school in 2007).

Also he was my "first man", as in, I hadn't had a son yet! Cheesy, I know.

also I loved the film Saw and there was a doctor called Adam on it

Fatmanbuttsam Tue 03-Jun-14 21:05:23

I have an Adam.....he was the first grandson :-) I still love his name but it does get shortened/played with

Rhubarbgarden Tue 03-Jun-14 23:07:02

Love it. Was on my shortlist for ds.

FreckledLeopard Tue 03-Jun-14 23:13:59

I think it's really dull. Sorry.

Admittedly I do only like very off the wall boys' names though (Heathcote, Balthazar etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now