Well shes not a Thea, or and Eloise, or a Romilly. Help!!

(171 Posts)

Silent lurker for about three months, but never posted before.

Four days ago I gave birth to our gorgeous DD. She really is a glorious little babe! Inbetween waiting for the whole world to fall out of my fanjo, for, despite the 12 stitches that feels like what is going to happen, salt baths and twice hourly breastfeeding sessions, we need to think of a name for our beautiful girl.

From 21 weeks, we thought I was giving birth to a Thea Eloise, but she is definitely not. Neither is she a Romilly Alice. Or a Madeleine. Ditto Phoebe. confused

She is however, a glorious little babe, have I mentioned that already? All pouty lips, button nose, dark hair and big blue eyes. swoon And despite being a breast milk ninja, she has stolen our hearts already.

I have a strong suspicion she could be a Polly Alice, but DP is concerned that mil some people may think its a silly, indulgent name. (Not mil bashing, for the most part, she is great, but a dreadful snob!)

So, what I need from you are your best suggestions for a beautifully vintage, old fashioned or even slightly twee name. Out of the top twenty would be the ideal remit, but not a deal breaker.

Thank you so much in advance smile

CruCru Tue 13-May-14 19:45:32

Helena
Cecilia
Clarissa

OublietteBravo Tue 13-May-14 19:46:13

I was going to be called Charlotte (I'm not) - apparently I didn't look like a Charlotte, so you are not alone. I know one Thea (in her 30s) - her sister is Oriel.

DitzyDonkey Tue 13-May-14 19:46:51

Love love love Polly! Some suggestions.....

Cassia
Primrose
Bee
Juno
Fleur
Flora
Hera
Hero
Posy
Saskia
Juniper
Iris
Ivy
Elsie
Hattie

flippetygibbet Tue 13-May-14 19:48:01

There are a lot of Florences and a few Mabels as well..around here but is nice - Kitty could be short for Katharine..and that is v classic with Alice
Katharine Alice - v classic

I think Polly Alice together is not quite right but I like a mix of long and short names and love Violet..

so Penelope Violet - Polly for short...

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 13-May-14 19:48:45

Grace

Audrey was the (dead) cat's name (don't ask)

DP came in before after popping to the garage to buy a family sized bar of Galaxy breastfeeding provisions saying that the girl who served him was called Cecily.

Cecily.

I like it, it kind of sparkles... opinions??

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 13-May-14 19:48:58

In fact, Grace Evangeline

ScarlettlovesRhett Tue 13-May-14 19:49:05

Lavinia
Lavender
Cora
Iris
Violet
Eleanor
Flora
Eve/Evie/Eva
Rosie
Charlotte
Georgia

<phew!>

RabbitSaysWoof Tue 13-May-14 19:50:36

Congratulations!! thanks
Tilly
Bessie
Gabrielle
Olive
Rose

Charlieandlotta Tue 13-May-14 19:50:52

Yy to Clara and Audrey.

Emiline
Pauline nn Paula?

Alice is very nice indeed!

Nell, could be short for Eleanor or Helena
Rosa

kelda Tue 13-May-14 19:52:07

Congratulations! flowers

Cecily Alice sounds lovely.

florascotia Tue 13-May-14 19:52:14

Many congratulations. She sounds absolutely lovely.

Polly is classic. Can also be short for Paulina, a very under-used name at the moment.

I really like Gwendoline or - similarly medieval - Clarisant (from Arthurian legends).

Mabel was originally Amabel (= loveable), which I prefer.

StrawberryMojito Tue 13-May-14 19:53:09

I like Cecily.

Posy!

Oh my.

I mean...

Oh my...

ihearttc Tue 13-May-14 19:54:13

I love girls names like this (I have 2 boys so have never got the chance to use them!)

Violet
Martha
Matilda
Eleanor (Nell)
Iris
Elsie
Elodie

I actually love Polly but it doesn't really go with Alice.

She sounds absolutely gorgeous btw-congratulations

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 13-May-14 19:54:58

Penelope is fab as is Audrey (but that's our name for the LO I'm cooking so biased).

I also like Polly but not with Alice, doesn't flow very well.

Love Nell or Tess as well, I like short names

everlong Tue 13-May-14 19:55:23

Was just about to say Cecily!

It's lovely.

I love India, Seraphina, Harriet, Alice, Cordelia, Ottilie, Lucinda.

Pick Cecily though.

TheElectricMayhem Tue 13-May-14 19:55:25

Cecily is lovely. Truly.

Going on from your previous post - considering that you and DH both love Thea, perhaps she's a Theodora?

MummytoMog Tue 13-May-14 19:55:26

Maud. My DD to be is going to have Maud as a middle name. We also liked Edith and Cecily, as well as Constance and Meredith.

I like Merryn and all the names you mention but not keen on Gwendoline.

Dd was going to be called Holly but she didn't look like a Holly and is called Rosie which suited her better.

OublietteBravo Tue 13-May-14 19:55:52

Isn't Posy short for Josephine?

LizzieMint Tue 13-May-14 19:55:57

We had the same - we had pretty much picked a name before DD2 was born, then she was born, we took one look at her and the name went out of the window. Took us a week to come up with another one.

Out of your names, I'd put Romilly and Eloise together and go for Emily. (happens to be my all-time favourite girls name!)

everlong Tue 13-May-14 19:56:12

Posy is gorgeous too.

Ataxlawyer Tue 13-May-14 19:57:27

Congratulations! Polly is lovely but as it is traditionally short for Dorothy, why not pick Dorothy (will sound better in the boardroom when she is older) and call her Polly at home? Dorothy Alice would be lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now