Is Leo really that popular?

(18 Posts)
evertonmint Wed 14-May-14 17:26:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LePetitPont Wed 14-May-14 17:19:46

Yes, I too was surprised it was so high up the ranks as not aware of any little Leos. Most children I know are 3 and under...

busyDays Tue 13-May-14 14:16:15

It is quite popular around here but only for babies/toddlers. I don't know any older children with that name.

burgatroyd Tue 13-May-14 14:08:08

How about Leonard or Lionel?

moggle Tue 13-May-14 14:00:56

I was looking on the UK nameberry website yesterday and was amazed to see how Leo has climbed the ranks. Reckon it was kicked into the consciousness a bit by Leo Blair... I reckon considering how it's gone up, there must be a lot of Leos under 3 at the moment so would be interesting to hear if parents of kids at nursery are seeing it more.

DH really likes it but that is because Leo McGarry from the West Wing is his hero... hmm.

Warrap Tue 13-May-14 12:27:14

DS is Leo. It was 40th most popular name when he was born. He's the only one in his school with the name (primary) and was the only one in his nursery. I met another one once at a playground. Not problematically popular round here, certainly!

CountBapula Tue 13-May-14 12:23:05

DS2 is Leo. I don't know any others. Have heard it shouted in the playground once or twice but that's it.

We had loads of compliments on his name when he was born smile

Ludways Tue 13-May-14 12:20:52

My ds has a name which has probably been in the top 20 for about 400 years, lol. He was the only one in his year at primary and only one in his class now. We occasionally meet another out and about but it's not been a problem and I still love the name.

SpearmintLino Tue 13-May-14 10:18:51

I don't know of any. Except Tony Blair's son.

tammytoby Tue 13-May-14 10:16:48

"I know 3. One is 4, 7 and 9. Not popular really."

That sounds very popular to me.

tammytoby Tue 13-May-14 10:15:43

Has the name been rising up the ranks to number 20? In that case there will probably be more than one Leo in his class at school.

I know 2 Leos, one is 4 the other 6mths.

Have you looked outside the top 100? There are lots and lots of lovely underused names to choose from!

Montsti Tue 13-May-14 09:27:46

I know a few and I would expect you to come across others if you name DS Leo, however I doubt you'll have loads in his year at school etc...but tbh I don't think you'll find that with many names, however popular they seem. I have an Oliver and, although I know a few and you hear it fairly often when out, he has never actually had another one in any of his classes or at school. I think popular/similar girls names are more of an issue as they could blend into one - Lilly, Tilly, Milly, Molly, Holly, Polly etc..(still lovely names though).

Go for Leo!

AmandaTanen Tue 13-May-14 07:54:32

I know 2, one aged 5 and one aged 9, not one of the most popular in our area.

CaractacusPotts Tue 13-May-14 07:40:57

I have one (3) and know of another of a very similar age.

We hear of others when at soft play occasionally but there are no others in his nursery class.

calzone Tue 13-May-14 07:39:16

I know 3.

One is 4, 7 and 9.

Not popular really.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 13-May-14 07:37:54

Meant to add if you love it go for it

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 13-May-14 07:37:40

Its somewhat popular in east mids I know about 4 under 10 years but that's not a huge amount.

Pebbles0934 Tue 13-May-14 07:10:25

Leo is number 20 in the popular baby name ranks? I have only met one 10 years ago? Is it really that popular?

I don't think there are any in my children's schools, are they suddenly going to appear in the next few school intakes?

I really like it but don't want my child bring one of four in a class....any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now