Alba?

(52 Posts)
xXjunebugXx Tue 13-May-14 00:19:23

Opinions on this name please.

It has really grown on me but struggling with a middle name to go along side it. Do you think Isobel goes well?

Thanks x

Salazar Tue 13-May-14 00:20:43

I really like it. Alba Isobel isn't my fave, but it does work.

Do you like Mirabel? I think that is a bit more special.

Mutteroo Tue 13-May-14 00:22:46

Alba is a pretty name. Isobel doesn't sound good with it & its also an extremely popular name at the moment which always puts me off with girls names.

meala Tue 13-May-14 00:23:55

Means Scotland in Gaelic.

RockySpeed Tue 13-May-14 00:23:57

I LOVE Alba! I was desperate to use it for DD but husband vitoed hmm

DaffodilsandTruffles Tue 13-May-14 00:27:52

Alba Ishbel might be better but it depends on the surname really.

Alba is pretty though.

xXjunebugXx Tue 13-May-14 00:31:02

If I had my way it would be Alba Genevieve or Alba Juliet....my man doesn't like them!

Iona1651 Tue 13-May-14 10:31:55

I love this name. I wanted it as my fiancé is Scottish but he doesn't like any Gaelic names at all.

I wanted Alba Rose (we're getting married on Yorkshire day this year and Rose would suit the white rose of Yorkshire too) and thought it would be lovely. Not according to my fiancé though!

JonathanGirl Tue 13-May-14 10:39:51

I think it is a great name, bit quirky but also elegant.

It is the name of the daughter in The Time Travellers Wife, and I think I like it partly because of that.

devoncreamtea Tue 13-May-14 10:45:30

Alba Genevieve is fantastic! work on him....!!!!

curiousgeorgie Tue 13-May-14 10:48:23

I just think 'Jessica Alba' if that's an issue?

showtunesgirl Tue 13-May-14 10:52:57

I love Alba because of The Time Traveler's Wife but unfortunately I can't stop thinking about Alba the really cheap stereo system company that are a bit crap.

I'm Scottish and it seems odd to.use it as a name and yes like show my second thought was cheap electronics.

RyvitaLoca Tue 13-May-14 10:57:14

Ailbhe is dawn, so i would think you were scottish or irish. With Isobel, I'd think you were McVery Scottish!

alita7 Tue 13-May-14 11:05:19

I love it smile dp doesn't sad

florascotia Tue 13-May-14 12:21:38

As earlier posters have said, Alba is Gaelic for Scotland, the country. It's a word you see a lot on on government documents etc. See the Scottish Government's home page, for example: www.scotland.gov.uk/
This probably won't matter if you are not living in Scotland, or it may not bother you, anyway.

Alba is used as a personal name in Scotland, as well. There were 30 babies registered with that name in Scotland in 2013, plus 2 named 'Albany': www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/stats/popular-forenames/2013/babiesnames-2013-t4.pdf

Also as an earlier poster said, Ailbhe (Alvah) is a very similar Scottish/Irish Gaelic name, meaning 'bright and shining' and 'dawn'. It's even less common. There was one baby registered with that name in Scotland in 2013, and another one spelled 'Alva', plus an 'Albi' an 'Alvie' and an 'Alvina'.

In Italian (and Latin), 'Alba' means 'white' or 'shining bright'
In Spanish, it means 'dawn'.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 12:26:09

1) Scotland
2) Cheap stereos
3) Not a very good name for a human

Agree that Ailbhe/Alva is much, much nicer. Ailbhe is common enough in Ireland, and seems more like a proper name to me.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 12:30:34

There's also the rather colourful 80-something Duchess of Alba who recently married her toyboy.

TheScience Tue 13-May-14 12:33:08

Love it, but I think of it as Spanish rather than Scottish.

Viviennemary Tue 13-May-14 12:35:00

Can't believe anyone would call their child this. It's awful.

sleepyhead Tue 13-May-14 12:36:17

I'd prefer Alva.

Alba mainly means cheap electronics to me (or BBC Alba for the rugby).

PeanutPatty Tue 13-May-14 12:38:59

Strikes me as a boy's name. Soon as I saw it I thought "Tross" as in Albatross as in word association. I like unique names but not Alba. Sorry. Wasn't Alba a tape deck manufacturer?

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 13-May-14 12:48:48

When I first heard it I REALLY liked it, especially the connection with Scotland but then I remembered Alba stereos and it has totally put me off the name!

What about Iona?

AberdeenAngusina Tue 13-May-14 13:44:00

I met a little Spanish Alba who was visiting Scotland. Her parents hadn't known beforehand that it's Gaelic for Scotland and said that they were complimented everywhere they went on her name.

moggle Tue 13-May-14 14:07:50

When's your baby due? Just thinking, if it is around the time of the referendum people might think you're making a political statement... A bit like my friends who called their daughter Maggie and then 4 days later Thatcher died. Now everyone assumes they are strident Tories who named their baby after their great leader which couldn't be further from the truth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now