What do you think of this baby girl name!? Opinions please.

(19 Posts)
Myusername93 Thu 08-May-14 07:05:54

I really like names beginning with the letter e. Our first thought was Emilia but it's very common. Therefore we have come up with either Emmé pronounced Em-Me, or Emmaé pronounced Em-May. Both With the nickname Em.

Thankyou.

PenguinBear Thu 08-May-14 07:09:52

E names are nice!

Emmae would be better if you had to pick one! Of those two, it's certainly unusual.

Pebbles0934 Thu 08-May-14 07:10:30

Emmy-Lou

sabbby82 Thu 08-May-14 07:12:44

My sis is Emmy it's a nice name

MollyBdenum Thu 08-May-14 07:19:37

I would pronounce Emmè as Emmay and Emmae would stump me as it's a made up name and so it isn't clear which pronunciation of ae was most likely.

For Emee, why not go with Emmy which people would recognise. Or Esmee or Esmée or Emmeline.

MollyBdenum Thu 08-May-14 07:20:18

The app doesn't seem to recognise my accents.

OwlCapone Thu 08-May-14 07:21:57

Emmae in particular looks completely made up. I would want to pronounce it Emm-eye with the ae at the end.

OwlCapone Thu 08-May-14 07:22:43

TBH, unless you are of a culture that regular uses accents or living in a country that does, I would ditch them.

bakingtins Thu 08-May-14 07:29:23

Trying too hard to be uneeq.

I'd go with Emilia, Emily or Emmeline and use Emmy as a NN.

ZingWatermelon Thu 08-May-14 07:30:10

I'm not sure

Emese is a Hungarian name you might like, pronounced Eh-meh-sheh

Secretsquirrel13 Thu 08-May-14 07:34:14

It just looks v try hard.

tgrayson Thu 08-May-14 07:39:24

It's completely up to you what you choose to name your dd. but personally I would go for a name that is easy to spell and pronounce. Otherwise your dd will be constantly correcting people and spelling out her name.

Esme
Emmi
Emmeline
Eddie
Erin

Good luck names are hard, I like unusual names but that are obvious to pronounce and spell x

DrainPhobic Thu 08-May-14 07:41:37

Emme with the accent on would give emmay rather than emee I think. You would need to spell it Emmy to get it right.

merrymouse Thu 08-May-14 07:47:41

wouldn't the accent on the e make it be pronounced em-may?

I think an unusual spelling will make life more tricky.

If I were you I would name her emilia may/emma may/emily may and then call her what you want as a pet name.

smartypants1000 Mon 12-May-14 11:28:13

Emm� would be pronounced Em-may.
Emmae wouldn't need an accent for the pronunciation you want.

To get the pronunciation Em-mee you'd need Emm�e. Or stick with Emmie / Emmy. Emilie is the French spelling of Emily.

florascotia Mon 12-May-14 11:47:02

As others have said, the English language does not use accents.

In languages, eg French, that do:

Emme or Emmee (with accent on final e) would be Emm-eh. (The 'eh' is a sharp sound, but not the same as the 'ay' as in 'hay'.)

Emmae (also with accent on the final e, as in OP's post) would be Emm-ah-eh. That sounds very awkward.

If you want the sound Emm-ay in English, then Emmae without an accent would sort of do it.

If you want the sound Emm-ee then Emmie would be the spelling.

maggiethemagpie Mon 12-May-14 15:48:01

Emmae with an accent looks/sounds totally ott. I would go for Emmeline if you don't want to use Emilia, and shorten to Emmy

minipie Mon 12-May-14 16:02:30

Emmae looks like a typo or made up to me, sorry.

I'd go with Emmy, Esme, or how about Aimee (with accent on the first E). But be prepared for the accent to be missed off a LOT.

JingletsJangletsYellowBanglets Mon 12-May-14 16:05:55

I've always loved Elsie/Elsa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now