Primrose, Daisy or Alexandra?

(84 Posts)
Benchmark Fri 02-May-14 10:59:03

Hi all,

I've already asked opinions on Primrose and most were positive but I'm still not 100% sure so thought I'd see what you all prefer out of my top 3 names.
So which is your fave and why out of Primrose Daisy or Alexandra??

Please also add a middle name if you like. Options for middle names (all family names) are:
Lily
Anne
Anna
Mary
Sylvia

Thanks smile

Benchmark Sun 01-Jun-14 20:13:59

Hermione is lovely! Does your Alexandra get shortened at all?

lambbone Sun 01-Jun-14 20:10:17

Alexandra Primrose is splendid!

My Alexandra's MN is Hermione (outs self). Still love it.

Benchmark Sun 01-Jun-14 20:02:05

Linguaphile - did you choose something similar in the end? What were your reasons for discounting them? Interesting as you seem to have a very similar opinion as me on the names.
I actually mentioned Primrose to my friends yesterday, just dropped it in to gauge reactions, and they said 'you're not naming a cat you can't call her that!' Then they realised I was serious and moved swiftly on. I know people would come round to it, but surprised to get such shocked reactions in RL!

MrsBungle Sun 01-Jun-14 14:05:55

I love primrose. I like daisy but agree with others that it's twee. Alexandra I find dull personally. Sylvie primrose is beautiful.

Linguaphile Sun 01-Jun-14 12:56:51

Alexandra is the most distinguished and sensible. Lovely. Primrose is sweet and unexpected (if a bit closely connected to The Hunger Games). We considered both for our dd, actually! I think a person could easily tailor Primrose to meet their needs as they got older--Rosie or Prim for a little girl, Rose for when she gets older if she wants something more serious and sensible on her office door, though Alexandra takes it by an inch I think. Personally, I love your idea of Alexandra Primrose Mary, though if it were me I would try my best to make sure people avoided the nickname 'Alex', which I'm not a fan of.

brokenhearted55a Sat 31-May-14 17:13:17

Alexandra. The rest are ridiculously twee.

FeelingIrie Sat 31-May-14 06:35:36

I love Primrose and would want to use it if I have another DD. DH not so keen though... I agree it's a bit 'marmite', I have an Iris and that is too, but I'm quite happy with that as it means it won't become too popular.

Your other two names are lovely too. And I think if you are spoiled for choice use two middle names!

Enjoy your baby girl x

Hogwash Sat 31-May-14 06:02:19

Alexandra - but definitely go with what you love, not what you called 'sensible' earlier!

Drunkendonut Sat 31-May-14 00:36:24

I have a 3 year old Daisy. She's a feisty little thing!
I've never had a bad reaction to it.
Like a pp her mn is Elizabeth.

LePetitPont Wed 14-May-14 21:28:55

I personally think Alexandra is a bit clunky / wannabe royal
family. But Alex is fab - we had Alexa on our shortlist. A bit fresher somehow...

Prefer Primrose to Daisy. No clue about Harold Shipman's wife and Prim from the Hunger Games is a lovely character. Not sure about Daisy Anna, does take it a little bit twee.

Posy is adorable! Posy Penfold would rock

As a counter arguement, I do a lot of partnership working with senior people and the ones with the more fun / unusual names stick in my mind far more than the myriad Catherine and Sarah's.

burgatroyd Wed 14-May-14 10:26:58

I know a Posy on its own. Why not?

Rtfairy Wed 14-May-14 09:41:53

Daisy, I love it and it's my DD's name, she suits it. she is a baby right now but I do think it will grow with her don't personally agree with all this names are only for babies crap!

Benchmark Wed 14-May-14 08:27:11

I won't be using Sylvie as a first name. I actually love the name but I think my mum would think I'd gone a bit nuts, she goes by Sylvie all the time.
Marguerite, although nice, isn't really my style of name.

At the moment Alexandra definitely seems the most popular but I'm leaning more towards the other two grin
Posy on it's own??

mathanxiety Wed 14-May-14 02:24:49

Alexandra Daisy isn't bad imo.
Alexandra Primrose.
Alexandra Marguerite would be great.
Or Sylvie Alexandra?

You would get the classic and the floral or naturey. (Sylvie and Sylvia refer to woodland).

twinjocks Tue 13-May-14 23:20:45

I'll add my support for Daisy (my own 19-year-old DD's name, love it). I like it with either Anne or Anna out of your middle name list.

flavourflave Tue 13-May-14 14:05:59

In regards to Primrose... Sorry, think Shipman too. Know it's wrong to but that's my first thought. Second thought is Darling Buds of May, 3rd thought is prim and proper and forth thought is Fifi and the flower tots.

It was on my list with Posy as potential nickname. Then I went off it.

Vote for Alexandra

PunkAssMoFo Tue 13-May-14 14:02:50

Sylvie primrose!

Bonsoir Tue 13-May-14 13:48:57

Primrose is unconscionable.
Alexandre is boring.
Daisy is pretty but you need a strong personality to pull it off and not get drowned in the sweetness.

Primrose is awful - prim and proper.

I'd go for Margaret or Marguerite so that Daisy is an option for a nickname, but loads of others if she doesn't like it when she's older.

I've never met an Alexandra who wasn't known as Alex.

MargotLovedTom Tue 13-May-14 13:36:33

Fair enough, but I'm guessing many people aren't aware that Harold Shipman's wife was called Primrose, and as PP said it's not like she was a murderer herself.

Eva is very popular, though probably not something you'd go for if your surname is Braun wink.

RabbitPies Tue 13-May-14 13:31:50

Rose is a much more common name than Primrose,so has other associations for most people.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 13-May-14 13:05:19

Alexandra Sylvia would be my choicesmile

MargotLovedTom Tue 13-May-14 12:34:23

Primrose would not remind me of Mrs Shipman - I didn't even know that was her name!

I see Rose suggested on here plenty of times yet Rose West is notorious confused.

MargotLovedTom Tue 13-May-14 12:32:41

If you love Sylvia but don't want her to have the same name as your mum, then what about Sylvie? I actually much prefer it to Sylvia; it has a certain chic style to it.

itfcbabe Tue 13-May-14 12:21:18

I love the name Primrose but reminds of Primrose Shipman,Daisy is lovely but Alexandra is timeless or you could have Alexandria a bit more unusual.xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now