Primrose, Daisy or Alexandra?

(84 Posts)
Benchmark Fri 02-May-14 10:59:03

Hi all,

I've already asked opinions on Primrose and most were positive but I'm still not 100% sure so thought I'd see what you all prefer out of my top 3 names.
So which is your fave and why out of Primrose Daisy or Alexandra??

Please also add a middle name if you like. Options for middle names (all family names) are:
Lily
Anne
Anna
Mary
Sylvia

Thanks smile

Thurlow Fri 02-May-14 13:13:57

I used to do it deliberately - I do quite like introducing her by her full name as she is so rarely called it, but when temptation struck I did enjoy saying "Alex" and just grinning at them!

Megrim Fri 02-May-14 13:29:21

My sister was an Alexandra Mary, so that would be my favourite combination. She was always known as Alex (or Alexandra Mary when naughty).

TEACUP123 Fri 02-May-14 13:30:58

Alexandra Marianne is another nice combo (With Mary and Anne combined)

flavourflave Fri 02-May-14 13:50:40

Primrose was on my list, posy for potential nickname... Before I came to my senses.

Primrose Shipman.

Alexandra has lots of nickname potential, Lexi being my fave

Benchmark Fri 02-May-14 14:05:52

Primrose shipman doesn't put me off. I hadn't even heard of her and doubt the next generation will.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 02-May-14 14:10:13

OP's surname isn't Shipman. Unless someone is thinking of Adolf I don't get why you would seek out bad associations with names intended for any newborn.

BurdenedWithGloriousPurpose Fri 02-May-14 14:20:29

Alexandra.

Alexandra sounds like she could rule the world, while Primrose and Daisy would be her minions. wink

squoosh Fri 02-May-14 14:20:37

Poor old Primrose Shipman, she's hardly Rose West, she didn't do anything wrong except unwittingly marry a serial killer!

HenI5 Fri 02-May-14 14:40:27

I was going to suggest Marguerite as a middle name. It goes nicely with Alexandra and is the French form of Daisy.

Chocolategirl7 Fri 02-May-14 14:43:56

I have an Alexandra Louise although her current nickname is Lexie Lou. I'm hoping it will lengthen again when she gets a bit older.

Love Alexandra Primrose but not sure about Primrose as a first name. grin

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 02-May-14 14:58:52

Alexandra is lovely. Really not keen on Primrose.

flavourflave Fri 02-May-14 15:36:37

Sorry, but that shipman documentary was on the other night and it did put me off the name!

How about Penrose? Cool unisex name like Alex, place in Cornwall, fresher than Primrose.

squoosh Fri 02-May-14 15:45:26

Wasn't Penrose the name of Dangermouse's side kick?

BurdenedWithGloriousPurpose Fri 02-May-14 15:46:07

That was Penfold. grin

squoosh Fri 02-May-14 15:47:33

Oh yes Penfold! grin

Loved that little guy.

flavourflave Fri 02-May-14 16:58:13

Penfold also great!

RabbitPies Fri 02-May-14 17:00:39

Alexandra. It's lovely,and a strong name too.

Daisy is ok.

Primrose is awful. Ugly but twee.

Benchmark Fri 02-May-14 17:15:44

I've come back to the thread and now penfold is on the table! grin not quite the style I was going for but thanks!

flavourflave Fri 02-May-14 17:24:50

Alexa? Antonella, Nell for short, Cristobel, Wren, Posie, Iris?

Middle name I love Sylvia. Sylvia for first name would be great! Does popularity bother u? Do u want classic or something different?

Benchmark Fri 02-May-14 17:43:02

Love Posie, would probably shorten Primrose to Posie but see it as a nn.
Wren is lovely but surname is one syllable so want at least a 2 syllable first name.
I tend to prefer nature names or quirky names. The only classic name I'd consider is Alexandra (I think)
Not keen on overly popular names, but equally don't want something too unusual or silly. I actually really like Xanthe, but DH doesn't.

Lannypanny123 Fri 02-May-14 18:34:05

I love primrose by far the best loverly name xx

Starbright24 Fri 02-May-14 18:37:35

I love alexandra lily...names that I have been thinking of myself but still loads of time to go.
also like rose and rosie

Montsti Fri 02-May-14 18:55:30

Alexandra! Daisy is sweet but too cutesy IMO and Primrose isn't to my taste.

foofooyeah Fri 02-May-14 19:01:42

Alexandra!

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 03-May-14 12:29:51

My DD is Daisy (can you guess from the NN?!). I love it and it's growing with her so I don't think it will feel twee for her as an adult's name. But we have had thar comment made to us before. Her middle name is Elizabeth.

Other than that I do love Alexandra. Primrose doesn't do it for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now