Is Daphne a bit too old-fashioned/unattractive?

(56 Posts)
DuPainDuVinDuFromage Thu 24-Apr-14 16:10:35

I have the perfect girl's name for DC2 (we already have a DD) but DH really doesn't like it...I am working on him but won't force him to agree to a name he hates so am trying to come up with some others. I want something that ends in an "ie" syllable (will work with our surname, won't be too similar to DD's name) and wondered if Daphne would be an option? I don't think I like it very much though so wondered if you lot could persuade me?

And what about other names ending in an "ie" syllable? I have a few possibles but am open to suggestions!

(I came across Gorgophone - presumably pronounced "Gor-GO-phony" - on a baby names website: that one is definitely not an option grin)

EyelinerQueen Thu 24-Apr-14 16:14:02

I love love love Daphne.

I think I'll be in the minority though grin .

Gorgophone is really quite something isn't it? Wowzers. Wasn't he the bad guy in the Smurfs?!!

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Thu 24-Apr-14 16:26:33

It sounds like it could be, although I haven't seen the Smurfs! It means Gorgon-killer apparently...

CheeseStrawWars Thu 24-Apr-14 16:29:35

Daphne wasn't unattractive in Scooby-Doo!

I like it, as a name. I don't like the nickname of "Daff", or the "daffy" association. Daphnia is a type of plankton, I think (vague recollections of GCSE Science).

NigellasDealer Thu 24-Apr-14 16:30:27

sounds really old lady or even ancient drag queen sorry. someone with a huge upholstered bust anyway.

MrsRuffdiamond Thu 24-Apr-14 16:34:14

What's the name your dh won't agree to? <nosey> grin

I think Daphne is a great name, but as has been said, may be prone to nicknames.

Esme
Chloe
Natalie
Ariadne

DuPainDuVinDuFromage Thu 24-Apr-14 16:52:17

Ruff - the name is Ottilie. What do you think - should I keep trying to change DH's mind?

I'm not that keen on your first three suggestions (perfectly nice names but I don't love them), and Ariadne is a bit close to DD's name...thanks for coming up with some though!

MrsRuffdiamond Thu 24-Apr-14 17:10:49

I really like Ottilie, but can forsee a lifetime of "Sorry, how's that spelt?", and being called something completely different, a bit like my RL name. Not that that's a reason not to have it, of course!

If Ottilie is your perfect name, then I would keep on chipping away grin

Would just Tilly/ie be a possible alternative?

PandaNot Thu 24-Apr-14 17:13:53

Persephone?

muttonjeffmum Thu 24-Apr-14 17:18:03

I have an Auntie Daphne and love the name. I think as the trend seems to be reverting to "old fashioned" names it won't stand out that much once she starts school. And so what if it does - at least it's a real name and not made up! I don't like Ottilie at all (sorry).

EyelinerQueen Thu 24-Apr-14 17:19:45

I really dislike Ottilie. Every time I hear it I think of this.

Don't like Tilly either.

Elodie?

TattyCatty Thu 24-Apr-14 17:22:27

My mum is a Daphne and whilst I think that it is a very classic and distinguished name, she absolutely loathes it and bitterly regrets that she didn't get called Margaret as her mother had originally intended!

holfin Thu 24-Apr-14 17:23:06

How about Emily or Hollie ?

ElkTheory Thu 24-Apr-14 17:27:02

I love Daphne. It's a wonderful name IMO, classic and beautiful. I much prefer it to Ottilie.

Ludways Thu 24-Apr-14 17:28:20

I love Daphne, I have a beautiful friend called Daphne.

linspins Thu 24-Apr-14 17:34:18

We have an Ottilie at dd school, but I didn't know this for ages as she's only ever called Tilly. But it's a beautiful name.

linspins Thu 24-Apr-14 17:36:29

Daphne is nice too, but bound to end in Daffers or something, as so many names seem to get turned into nicknames or shortened theses days.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Thu 24-Apr-14 17:41:35

Don't like Daphne or Ottilie, which is very in vogue right now - another reason to avoid. Sorry!

Betty?
Clemmie?
Jenny?
Hetty?

Artandco Thu 24-Apr-14 17:47:42

Dahlia
Delphine
Delilah

Not overly keen on daphne in afraid

florascotia Thu 24-Apr-14 17:48:33

I rather like Daphne.

On the same classical theme: Athene, Chloe, Chrysanthe, Hebe, Ianthe, Irene, Myrrine, Penelope, Parthenope, Pherenike, Phoebe, Xanthe, Zoe

And there are zillions of names/nicknames ending in 'ie' or 'y' : from Annie and Amy via Molly and Polly to Stephanie, Tammy, Winnie and Zizie .... Do you have any other likes/dislikes to help choose among them?

mawbroon Thu 24-Apr-14 17:52:09

Daphne Broon

flavourflave Thu 24-Apr-14 17:58:01

I know a Daphne, older lady. I love her name but she dislikes it. Don't know why! Mollie, Hermione, Lexie, Lanie, Delaney...? Know they don't all end in is but same sound. Jonie?

Gugglebum Thu 24-Apr-14 18:37:18

Was going to suggest Delphine too, but Artandco beat me to it. smile Also Delphi. Matilda with nn Tillie or Millie?

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 24-Apr-14 18:42:28

Daphne is lovely. Makes me think of the glamorous redhead from Scooby Doo smile

Ottilie is quite common at my naice university. Will always remind me of dim property developers' daughters in head to toe Jack Wills. It's a very aspirational faux-posh name.

TheAwfulDaughter Thu 24-Apr-14 18:42:57

Oooh yes, Delphi. That's nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now