Eleni prn Elaynee

(32 Posts)
chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 10:50:27

Hi guys, I really like the name Eleni rhymes with Delaney and not prn Ehlenee, which is the more common and correct way to pronounce. Could I get away with my preferred pronunciation? I did know a Greek Eleni with this prn who said it was easier for people to remember and say. Are there any other suggestions of spelling that wouldn't look too made up? Elvis Presley's daughter is called Elainee but that's too nick namey for me. I know some might wonder why I don't go for an easy to pronounce and read name but I really like the sound! Thanks guys. Opinions and suggestions needed!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 23-Apr-14 11:48:42

I suppose you could but nobody would think that was how you wanted it.

DrankSangriaInThePark Wed 23-Apr-14 11:53:48

It is Greek, isn't it? So that pronunciation is the correct one anyway.

I would automatically say E-lay-ni.

I wouldn't actually use it though without a Greek connection myself.

NomDeClavier Wed 23-Apr-14 11:54:29

Put an é in. Eléni would be similar.

FWIW I would say El-ay-nee anyway.

As someone with a Greek Cypriot family it would make me unbelievably twitchy I have to say, but like most things if you keep telling people the wrong way you want it said eventually it'll stick!

If you want it to rhyme with Delaney, why not just drop the D?

florascotia Wed 23-Apr-14 11:59:55

So far as I know, the usual pronouciation is Eh-leh-nee, where 'leh' is the same sort of sound as the 'e' in 'bet'.
Not quite so wide a sound as Eh-lay-nee, but not Ell-enn-ee, either, if you see what I mean.

I don't think it's too difficult a name for people to remember or say.

IMHO it's best to stick to standard spellings.

Please God don't go sticking accents into names to force a preferred pronunciation. pleeeease.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 23-Apr-14 12:03:17

You, DD, and everyone else will forever be condemned to say "No, it's not Ehlenee, it's Elainee". If you dont mind that, and you don't mind people asking whether you have Greek connections, go for it.

I would have said Eh-LEN-ee. Shows what I know.

SirChenjin Wed 23-Apr-14 12:07:52

You can get away with spelling and pronouncing a name any way you want - but be prepared for a lifetime of correcting people.

SirChenjin is pronounced Sershenshin btw.

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 12:09:29

I've known a couple of Greek women with this name, and the pronounciation is closer to Eh-LEN-ee than Elaynee.

If you want people to say Elaynee then I would spell it like that.

Eleni is pretty much said as it is written.

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 12:11:12

How about the German name Leni? That is prounounced Laynee, which is closer to what you want?

chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 12:15:07

Thanks guys! Do you think having a connection to where a name comes from is important? That would be very restrictive and so many popular names are Greek but no one would bat an eyelid. Thoughts welcome

I know one pronounced the way you want it - I thought it was Welsh. I was told once how to say it and then I knew. Not rocket science! I like it a lot OP.

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 12:17:14

I don't think having a connection matters that much, but I would think it slightly odd if you chose a name from a particular culture and then deliberately mispronounced it.

ouryve Wed 23-Apr-14 12:18:32

confused

<pours more strong tea>

chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 12:19:08

For instance Phoebe and Sophie... i'm sure lots of girls with those names aren't Greek. do you think it would be different with Eleni because it's more unusual?

Most Greek names used over here though are the anglo versions - in that case you'd use Helen rather than Eleni. Obviously you can use whatever names you like, but if you use the original people will assume you have some sort of Greek connection.

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 12:23:43

Those are names that have become Anglicised though - Anthony probably isn't Greek but Antonios probably is. Helen probably isn't Greek but Eleni probably is.

Why do you want to use a Greek spelling but not a Greek pronounciation though?

UriGeller Wed 23-Apr-14 12:40:52

Eleri is a similar name. Its welsh and I've heard it pronounced to rhyme with Celery and also with a long middle eee (both on Welsh people, by welsh people) there may be different acceptsble ways to pronounce a name.

Eleri means 'river' I think.

chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 14:03:32

Thanks I heart! I like that there's some out there prn the way I like.

In theory I see what you're all saying about the cultural connection thing but I do so love the pronunciation and so far that's the closest real name that sounds that way. I suppose what it comes down to is do I live the name enough to brave it? I don't think it will cause many issues for dd, no more so than many other names out there but its been great hearing your views.

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 14:44:29

If you love that pronunciation why not just spell it that way though? Or choose a similar real name like Elena or Leni?

I don't understand choosing a name a bit like the name you want and then pronouncing it differently, when you could just give your child the name you actually want.

chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 15:30:33

The science that's why I am asking for suggestions? A similar real name like Elena has only one letter difference which is Eleni. Same goes for Eleni, it only needs an E at the beginning. Do you see where I am coming from?

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Wed 23-Apr-14 15:31:15

Eleni is a Welsh word but it translates as 'this year' so, um, it's not really used as a name grin

Having said that now doubtless all the Welsh Cypriot Elenis will jump out of the woodwork!

TheScience Wed 23-Apr-14 15:39:13

No, I don't see where you're coming from tbh!

Either use a real name you like, or create a name with the exact pronunciation you like - choosing a real name but mispronouncing it seems really odd to me.

Any spelling of Elainee/Elaynee/Elaney is going to look made up because it is, but if that's the name you are set on, does it matter?

chickifizz100 Wed 23-Apr-14 15:39:23

There's Elaina...
Elaini? Mmmmmmhhh....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now