Elise?

(33 Posts)
Browne Mon 14-Apr-14 16:17:24

Expecting a DD in August smile DP and I have really struggled to find a name we both like. We've just came across Elise - I love it, he likes it.

Have any of you came across anyone with this name? Know of different spellings for Elise (although I do like this spelling)? What's your first impression of this name?

outtheothersidefinally Mon 14-Apr-14 16:19:42

Beautiful. Congratulations on your pregnancy, won't be long before you welcome Elise!

flakjacket Mon 14-Apr-14 16:22:52

My best friend was called Elise when I was at primary school. She is the only one I have ever known. She was lovely, so is the name smile.

Browne Mon 14-Apr-14 16:24:49

Thank you both smile It's the first name I've came across and instantly loved

florascotia Mon 14-Apr-14 16:36:32

Very pretty. Elise is the usual spelling in the UK and several other countries.

For an amazing variety of other spellings/variants (mostly of related name, Elizabeth) in different countries, see: www.behindthename.com/name/elise

If you like classical music, then there's a bonus: Elise's own special tune, by Beethoven, no less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTFUtMSvQ

ZingSweetCoconut Mon 14-Apr-14 16:44:23

lovely, go for it.

and you can play Fur Elise to baby now and forever more!smile

funtimesahead Mon 14-Apr-14 16:56:39

It's a lovely name! I know a South African Elize but prefer your spelling...

notasgreenasimcabbagelooking Mon 14-Apr-14 17:02:21

My friends grand daughter has Elise as middle name. Occasionally people have thought it was a spelling mistake for "Elsie" but other than that I think it's a sweet name.

DramaAlpaca Mon 14-Apr-14 17:05:17

Lovely name.

I've also come across it with the spelling Elyse (in the US) but prefer your version.

Browne Mon 14-Apr-14 17:20:33

I'm really glad it's all positive reviews so far - I haven't met an Elise or heard anyone mention the name before so it's really helpful getting a sounding board on here. Hope DP doesn't change his mind because I'm pretty sold on Elise!

Blueberrybaby Mon 14-Apr-14 17:30:26

Yes I really like Elise too. It was a possible middle name for DD, but we went with a family name instead.

HaroldLloyd Mon 14-Apr-14 17:31:47

I went to school with an Elise. I think it's a lovely name, quite pretty but not too cute if that makes any sense!

JustADadHere Mon 14-Apr-14 17:36:06

I like that name. You can always get her quite a flash car too - the Lotus Elise.

Willabywallaby Mon 14-Apr-14 17:37:09

In our house it's a car

Browne Mon 14-Apr-14 17:39:19

Harold that's exactly why I like it, I think it's feminine but not too girly girly. Thanks for your input everyone!

Damnautocorrect Mon 14-Apr-14 17:41:24

I know two elises, lovely name. I'd have had it for a girl if surname allowed

SpearmintLino Mon 14-Apr-14 17:42:32

I know an Elise who's in her twenties; she's lovely too. She sometimes gets called Elsie though (an equally nice name, in my opinion) grin

Lindalehughes Mon 14-Apr-14 19:07:53

I used to know an Elise and have always thought it a beautiful and unusual name. Congratulations!

funnyoldonion Mon 14-Apr-14 19:08:40

My best friend's middle name, I hadn't heard until I met her, she was really proud of it and we all thought it was really lovely and a little different too. Go for it! I think it's gorgeous x

MincingOnBy Mon 14-Apr-14 19:09:35

Love it

ChickenMe Mon 14-Apr-14 21:17:17

I think it's pretty and you shouldn't even question it

GwenStacy Mon 14-Apr-14 21:26:52

I wanted an Elise - first heard it in the PJ Harvey song smile

friedeggs Mon 14-Apr-14 21:47:42

my name is a Elise and I'm 42, people always comment on it and tell me it's a lovely name, it's a great conversation opener. although I have been called Elsie all my life, so perhaps spell it Elize or Elyse. I love my name and I wouldn't change it for the world, plus I've never met another one.

Noappointmentnecessary Mon 14-Apr-14 21:51:28

My cousins name is ELISA - she is italian so say it with an accent - lol

Browne Mon 14-Apr-14 22:37:54

It is a gorgeous name, so chuffed I came across it! Loving that it's not a really common name but at the same time it's not too out there. fried eggs when I first saw the name I read it Elsie, but I think Elise is the prettiest spelling I've came across smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now