Arthur & Alfred

(46 Posts)
Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 19:48:01

.... too much?

Ds is 14 months old and we're expecting another boy!

Can you have an Arthur and an Alfred?? Is it a bit ridiculous?
We're really struggling to find a name that we both like and matches our annoyingly nouny surname.

Pregnancy hormones say 'yes!!!!'
Rational mind saying 'no you daft bint'

Opinions please!

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 19:48:41

I think they are too similar. Do you like. Frederick?

Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 19:53:00

Best friend's new baby is Frederick.
(Which I love and am a little gutted...!)

Nn's would be Arfy and Freddy, so not too similar??

Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 19:54:17

Failing this, it's Henry, but I'm not that fussed by it.

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 19:58:18

Wilfred? Same nickname?

Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 20:49:13

Not a fan of Wilf, smelly old man from my childhood who always smelt of cat food and was covered in wee stains... some associations are just unshakeable.

Jonathon- jonny/ jonty?

Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 20:51:42

Not a fan of Wilf, smelly old man from my childhood who always smelt of cat food and was covered in wee stains... some associations are just unshakeable.

Jonathon- jonny/ jonty?

Jonathan or Jonathon?- why is this so stressful?

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 21:04:31

Love Jonathan with the nickname Jonty. John is ace for an adult man too.

Mrsfullhouse Fri 11-Apr-14 21:13:07

The trouble is that it could NEVER be John... our stupid surname means that his full name would sound like a toilet block.

I love Jonty though, and as he grows older, a more dignified Jonathan?

Dh is set on Henry... but he hasn't got to squeeze the little bugger out.

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 21:42:57

Jonathan is great, it's classic.

clary Fri 11-Apr-14 21:50:35

I love both names but do feel that the two together might be a bit much.

How about
Stanley
George
Edward/Edwin
William
yy I like Henry and think it fits too.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 11-Apr-14 21:52:27

You people act like bullies don't exist.

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 21:54:28

Bullying depends on your child's personality, and the environment they grow up in. A 'nerdy' name on a rugby playing lad won't matter, not will a name like Arthur in a school where Jontys and Tarquins are a plenty.

Because you know nothing about the OPs situation, I suggest you move along.

Polonius Fri 11-Apr-14 22:00:12

And I say this as a Persephone, who went to a rough state school. I was robust enough to give as good as it got when one person (in my entire school education) made a comment.

By the time I was at Durham Uni, names like mine were commonplace. My best friend is a Belinda, and DH is a Gilbert. It all depends on you and your circles.

Mrsfullhouse Sat 12-Apr-14 06:02:00

Thanks Polonius, I was given an 'on trend' early eighties name by my parents.... and then they shoved me in an ultra posh boarding school with a bunch of Charlottes, Phillipas and Harriets...
I know my names are a little 'old manish', but I just want something classical that wouldn't be out of place on a doctor etc.
Dd is at a well known prep school and my ds's will be following suit.
Fellow mothers have recently named siblings Attius, Raffaella and Mortimer, so these will be his classmates.

Ultimately the Arthur/ Alfred/ Henry theme is because Dh is staunchly patriotic and would like a quintessentially 'English' name (I know they all have germanic/ welsh roots- but history dictates otherwise)

So stuck and it's really starting to affect me! I've been diagnosed with antenatal anxiety and depression (hormone related) and I feel like naming this little baby will help me connect with him, and the fact I can't seem to is reinforcing the fact that I feel distant from him.

Mrsfullhouse Sat 12-Apr-14 06:07:38

Thanks Polonius, I was given an 'on trend' early eighties name by my parents.... and then they shoved me in an ultra posh boarding school with a bunch of Charlottes, Phillipas and Harriets...
I know my names are a little 'old manish', but I just want something classical that wouldn't be out of place on a doctor etc.
Dd is at a well known prep school and my ds's will be following suit.
Fellow mothers have recently named siblings Attius, Raffaella and Mortimer, so these will be his classmates.

Ultimately the Arthur/ Alfred/ Henry theme is because Dh is staunchly patriotic and would like a quintessentially 'English' name (I know they all have germanic/ welsh roots- but history dictates otherwise)

So stuck and it's really starting to affect me! I've been diagnosed with antenatal anxiety and depression (hormone related) and I feel like naming this little baby will help me connect with him, and the fact I can't seem to is reinforcing the fact that I feel distant from him.

beela Sat 12-Apr-14 09:15:35

We are very stuck for boys names too. We've got a Freddie ( Frederick ) so we can't have Alfred, which I also love, but Arthur is a top contender - though ds has 2 friends called Arthur already, so this is giving me doubts.

The other names on our list are Thomas and William (we would have Edward as well but that is dnephew's name).

In answer to your original question, I think Arthur and Alfred are a possibly bit matchy, but if you have nicknames then it could work (in think Arthur and Freddie sound great together grin). You would also have to make sure that middle names had different initials otherwise post could get confusing in the future!

ClareBell08 Sat 12-Apr-14 12:03:58

I was about to suggest Arnold/Arnie then realised that's even more similar!
Thomas/tommy
James/Jamie
How about Timothy? I think it's adorable but don't know any little Timmy's! I heard a mum call out to her little Kenny in a coffee shop a few days ago. Kenneth seems a little "old man-ish" to me but if all the other old fashioned names are coming back then I don't see why that shouldn't too!
How about Patrick/Paddy, Tristan?

I have a Wilfred. My friend has a Dougie?

florascotia Sat 12-Apr-14 12:31:04

If your DH likes Old English traditional names, what about Edmund, Edward, Edgar, Edwin, Cuthbert (Bertie?), Hereward (a great hero!), Swithin, Wystan... All literally Angl-Saxon!

I don't have any problem with Arthur and Alfred. They're both great names.

florascotia Sat 12-Apr-14 12:31:33

Sorry - should be 'Anglo-Saxon', of course.

agnesrose86 Sat 12-Apr-14 17:18:55

I love Henry! Also have you considered Albert nn Albie?

clary Sat 12-Apr-14 22:31:06

sonlypuppyfat very odd post. I know a number of primary age and older called Henry/Harry, Ed/Eddie, William and George.

I don't know so many Arthurs, Stanleys and Alfred, ture, but those I do know don't get bullied because of their name.

YY beela, Arthur and Freddie sound brilliant together grin

Polonius Sat 12-Apr-14 22:32:00

How about just Fred? I really like that, and you can use Freddy as and when.

Rtfairy Sun 13-Apr-14 12:50:14

I think they are fine together, especially if you are going to be using Freddie as a nickname. Love the name Arthur btw am considering it if my next baby is a boy, also love Henry but can't use it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now