Sophia versus Anna

(34 Posts)
Littenpojke Fri 11-Apr-14 14:08:34

Dh is for Sophia, I prefer Anna. Dh is Scandinavian and says that Anna is just too common back home.

Is Anna or Sophia more common in your experience (in the UK)?

Which name (Anna or Sophia) do you think sounds nicest in the English language? We don't like Sophie though. Please help!!

dirtywindows Sun 13-Apr-14 12:30:54

My youngest is Sophia and I was surprised to discover how many of them there are. I work in a school now- there are lots of them. Still lovely though. We call ours Fifi at home.

weatherall Sun 13-Apr-14 12:35:38

There are so many Sophies and Sophias and they dont really generate any good nicknames.

I prefer Arianna to Anna.

Limafresco Sun 13-Apr-14 12:41:26

Arianna /Arianne is lovely!

Britishseamonkey Tue 15-Apr-14 22:34:06

Anna.
I think it's beautiful
Plus Sophia is rising in popularity - I teach 6 of then! ( in different age groups but still!)

jaynebxl Tue 15-Apr-14 22:45:40

Anna is lovely. Graceful yet simple. I'm afraid to me Sophia always sounds like a pretentious version of Sophie.

BlueStarsAtNight Wed 16-Apr-14 01:47:29

I think they are both very safe (slightly dull to me) choices, but of the two I would have Anna.

There are absolutely tonnes of Sophie's/ Sophia's round me, and tbh the names make me think of a shy clingy kind of girl who wouldn't say boo to a goose (I know some lovely Sophie's/ Sophia's, but that's my instant thought when I hear the name). Anna makes me think of a more assertive confident girl, who isn't worried what people think of her.

jaynebxl Wed 16-Apr-14 08:02:56

Blue that sums up the Anna I know best!

stonygreysoil Wed 16-Apr-14 08:21:46

Anna better to me. Likely to get very popular post Frozen, if that bothers you.

lottieandmia Wed 16-Apr-14 08:23:15

I prefer Anna - it's a great name. Where I live I only know one child called Anna and she's about 3.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now