Scandinavian names - help!

(61 Posts)
malterserslover Wed 09-Apr-14 16:40:15

We are half British/half scandinavian family expecting 1st DC and struggling with potential names. We agree that we want a name that is pronounced relatively similarly in both places and does not seem too weird for either culture. So far we have come up with the following but not sure we LOVE any of them:

Girl:
Sienna
Matilda
Alissa
Sophia

Boy:
Elias
Sebastian

Anyone here who is familiar with scandinavia and could throw in some suggestions?? :-)

malterserslover Wed 09-Apr-14 16:40:55

Oh forgot Astrid from the girls' list!

Nataleejah Wed 09-Apr-14 16:48:24

Elias and Sebastian aren't very scandinavian.

My suggestions:
Arne
Thor
Ragnar
Anders

EqualsX Wed 09-Apr-14 16:50:20

Hi there

How about Isak, Oskar, Per, Lukas, Ulf, Mattias

or for a girl

My, Lotte, Anna, Saga, Helena, Kajsa

cakeymccakington Wed 09-Apr-14 16:52:02

Linus, Lars, Gustav?

cakeymccakington Wed 09-Apr-14 16:52:22

i LOVE Astrid btw

MrsFlorrick Wed 09-Apr-14 17:00:56

Erik, Niels, Thorsten, Jens,Tobias, Karsten.

Erika, Rikke (Riikke if you're Finish), Line (doesn't work so well outside the Nordic region), Ida, Lærke, Signe, Silke, Lea

Some of them do not work that well outside Nordic languages.

BathTangle Wed 09-Apr-14 17:01:22

Eric or Erik
Anders
Lars
Emil
Frederick
Jon

Astrid
Monica
Maria

TheBigBumTheory Wed 09-Apr-14 17:02:59

Ingrid
Sara

upupupandaway Wed 09-Apr-14 17:06:54

Why not flick through the IKEA catalogue for inspiration?

OhNoYouExpedidnt Wed 09-Apr-14 17:18:22

Svana?

Thesimplethings Wed 09-Apr-14 17:23:47

Leif is a another boys name

Thesimplethings Wed 09-Apr-14 17:24:20

Random a in there grin

TheBookThief Wed 09-Apr-14 17:27:02

Magnus

Josey
Katinka

heymatilda Wed 09-Apr-14 17:28:49

Alice (believe it was no 1 in Sweden last year and also popular here).
Kirsten
Elsa
Anna
Marta

William
Theo
Alexander

Nordicmom Wed 09-Apr-14 17:28:49

We have an Oliver and I'm Anna...

Nordicmom Wed 09-Apr-14 17:32:04

Julia , Aleksandra (Scandinavian spelling , dd 3 rd name )

ikeaismylocal Wed 09-Apr-14 20:49:16

I think it is really hard ot find names which sound the same in both languages. Our ds is called Elvin which is prounounced pretty much the same in Swedish and English but it is not really a popular name in the UK (although we once met a guy called Elvin in the UK).

Lots of the suggestions sound very different in Swedish to how they sound in English (I would imagine Danish and Norwegian had similar pronuciations)

The ones I can think of are

Markus
Mona
Agnes

We are just going to go for either a very Swedish name or very English name for dc2 and just teach people how to say it.

vehiclesandanimals Wed 09-Apr-14 20:57:06

Peter
Ulrik (OK, not very British but easy to pronounce)

Frey(j)a
Cecilie/a

aoife24 Wed 09-Apr-14 21:32:53

I really like Soren, but for all I know it could be the Scandinavian equivalent of Keith or Derek.

malterserslover Thu 10-Apr-14 11:36:06

Thank you for all your suggestions - it is really hard to find names that sound similar in both places and ideally would be names that people have heard before. Hence our boys list - they are not scandinavian names but they are not unknown names there either, plus they would be pronounced pretty similarly as in UK. Only problem, DH don't like either!

I might seriously pick up the IKEA catalogue for inspiration.......

YouForgotToCallMePeppa Thu 10-Apr-14 11:54:08

I don't have any experience with Scandinavia.

But I have noticed living abroad that even when children have names that are also used in English, they often have a slightly "unfashionable" feel to an English ear - I know several little ones called things like David, Mark, Nicolas, Simon, Paul - classic boys names, but you don't really hear them so much in Britain for babies.

Do you actually want a Scandinavian name, or something so international it could come from either and both?

I would go with simple names like Thomas and Peter and Anna and Sophie myself.

Sundaedelight Thu 10-Apr-14 13:14:13

Serena

Megrim Thu 10-Apr-14 13:54:17

OH works for Scandinavian companies, these are the names of some of his colleagues and their children:

Kristoffer
Tom
Stian
Henrik
Jon
Espen
Jarle

Beate
Marit
Helene
Nina
Kjersti
Ingunn

I also know a Bodil, Astrid and Siv (f)

13loki Thu 10-Apr-14 14:33:06

I live in Sweden. In DSs class there's a Pontus, Felix and Leo (the only non-middle eastern boys names) I work with John, Kalle, Magnus, Olof, and David.

I love Astrid, but wouldn't say it sounds the same in Sweden as UK. I have an Älfi Saga. I really like Åsa and Åse, but I'm not sure how the UK deals with the Swedish characters- DDs Australian pasport says Aelfi. I work with a couple of Lina's. If going scandic I'd use a F rather than ph for Sofia, or just Sofi. From your list, Matilda is the most common round us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now