Sibling for Minerva

(30 Posts)
OutingMyselfToday Sun 06-Apr-14 11:00:12

Name change as don't want to out myself under usual name.

Boys names are sorted, kinda, although don't hesitate to suggest some if you have any good ideas. I have time to change my mind. wink

What I'm stuck on is girls names. I've haven't ever come across another girls name that I love quite as much as Minerva.

As an idea I don't mind (but not necessarily love)

Tarryn
Athena
Orla
Luna

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 06-Apr-14 13:13:01

Athena

Though Artemis would also work.

Sleepyhoglet Sun 06-Apr-14 13:13:53

Jocasta

Sleepyhoglet Sun 06-Apr-14 13:14:48

Octavia

florascotia Sun 06-Apr-14 13:54:14

If you like goddesses/mythical heroines:

Astrea, Callisto/Calista, Flora, Gaia, Hebe, Eleri, Isis, Lucina, Lunete (=Linnet), Melusine, Morgana, Sabina, Sabrina, Selena, Tanit/Tanith, Thaleia, Uma, Usha, Vesta, Vesper...

Or Italian names:
Allegra, Anastasia, Aurelia, Clelia, Dafne, Ginevra, Romola, Rosalia, Serena, Serafina, Silvana, Silvestra, Valentina...

Persephone?

WolfMoon Sun 06-Apr-14 16:30:19

Allegra
Caterina
Chiara
Lucina
Sabrina

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 06-Apr-14 16:47:34

Allegra
Hera
Isis

LineRunner Sun 06-Apr-14 16:48:27

Tarryn.

charlyn Sun 06-Apr-14 16:52:44

Tatiana, Lorena, Seraphina, Delphine, Romilly, Elora, Hermione, Ramona, Juliet, Vivienne, Arabella, Beatrix, Aurora, Electra

OutingMyselfToday Sun 06-Apr-14 20:27:44

Some beautiful names here. There's a few that jump out at me straight away.

So

Octavia
Callisto (calli for nn?)
Allegra

As well as Athena & Tarryn

I love Persephone and did have it on the list but is it widely known enough not to have to correct peoples pronounciation of it every time?

I think Persephone is well enough known not to worry - you might get a few spelling issues but not so many pronunciation ones.

My younger son has an unusual spelling of an uncommon name - apart from the occasional dental receptionist etc who looks at it and then looks round the room and you then just know it's him she is looking for, we have never had any issues. People only need to be told once. Sephy is nice for short too.

I'm not keen on Octavia but like the rest though some do sound quite similar to Minerva if that bothers you. I prefer Calista to Calisto but then that makes it the same ending again....

maitaimojito Sun 06-Apr-14 20:40:31

I like Taryn but prefer it with one 'r'.

Sleepyhoglet Sun 06-Apr-14 22:01:32

Persephone is a bit ott for me

SaucyJack Sun 06-Apr-14 23:20:30

Our one month old DD3 is Luna, and although it's my favourite on your list I definitely wouldn't have it with Minerva unless you want to look like the biggest Harry Potter fangirl in town.

Our other two DDs are Persephone and Ophelia.

Other suggestions are Isolde, Seraphina, Evangeline and Galadriel.

OutingMyselfToday Sun 06-Apr-14 23:29:11

Your DDs have beautiful names jack

I might stick Persephone at the top of the list now.

Sharaluck Sun 06-Apr-14 23:32:00

Jacinta
Saphira

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 06-Apr-14 23:58:29

Celyn?

aFirmGrip Mon 07-Apr-14 00:08:54

Doesn't Persephone mean bringer of death?

SaucyJack Mon 07-Apr-14 00:37:17

Cheers Outing

Bringer of destruction firmgrip. Sadly it suits our Sephie perfectly......

Innogen Mon 07-Apr-14 06:01:50

Severus, Pomona or Fillius.

thegreylady Mon 07-Apr-14 08:33:10

Cassiopoeia nn Cassie I prefer it to Cassandra but I like that too.
Antigone nn Tiggy
Perdita

Foxsticks Mon 07-Apr-14 08:43:04

I agagree with pp that Luna would be too strong a connection with Harry Potter. Ophelia and Calista are beautiful.

Theas18 Mon 07-Apr-14 08:45:16

Hmm not Luna. Harry Potter will still be around when your little Minerva and Luna are al school...

And if you choose goddess/mythology based names read the origins. Cassandra might me a nice name, but prophetess of doom who was never believed ? Not so good and that's one of the nice associations!

OP Minerva (Roman) and Athena (Greek) are one and the same effectively. Not a problem, but you need to be aware in case you run into snooty Classicists wink.

Some lovely names above, so won't repeat, but other classical derivations would be:

Atalanta
Hero
Aurora
Petra
Io
Ondine

Personally, I'd go for a non classical name so it's not too matchy. Unused on my list (and maybe up your street) were:

Liberty
Trinity
Iseult/Isolde/Ysolde/Yseult
Heloise/Eloise
Morgana
Mallory

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now