August for a boy (Gus for short) too girly?

(43 Posts)
ilovebooks Fri 04-Apr-14 13:41:16

DS3 due July, 1 & 2 are Samson and Laurie.
DP and I agree on very little.. I like Scandi names and August is one of my favourites, with Gus for short.
I haven't heard this much and am slightly worried others would presume it is a girls name.
What do you think?
Augustus sounds a bit too much and reminds me of Augustus Gloop! Really love Magnus with nn Gus but DP doesn't like it at all.
Thank you!

Haahoooo Fri 04-Apr-14 13:46:06

Would never think it was a girl's name. I really like the nn Gus!

I posted about Gus recently (albeit short for Gustav) and it generally got quite a good reception on here possibly because the other names on my list were considered unusual

I'd say go for it!

squoosh Fri 04-Apr-14 13:52:04

I love Gus. August is pretty cool too.

Countrywalks Fri 04-Apr-14 13:57:01

That's a shame, I thought Magnus fits brilliantly with your other boys. I listened to Sally Magnesson, Magnus Magnesson's daughter reading her stunning book about her family recently on radio 4, maybe if you could find it on podcast and get your husband to listen , it could convert him to the name. Otherwise, Augustus to Gus.

ilovebooks Fri 04-Apr-14 15:29:20

Thank you!

Will find R4 programme too as Magnus is my real favourite.

Buttercup27 Fri 04-Apr-14 15:39:14

I really like gus but August is a month not a name in my opinion. But if you like it that's all that matters.

7to25 Fri 04-Apr-14 15:42:22

Angus.....Gus?

irregularegular Fri 04-Apr-14 15:44:58

I think I'd assume August was a girl's name. Just like April, May, June and July(ie)

Sorry.

I like Angus.

MichaelFinnigan Fri 04-Apr-14 15:47:46

My August born baby was going to be Augustine but turned out a girl

Countrywalks Fri 04-Apr-14 17:03:21

Oh yes Angus! Love it ! Magnus or Angus

tertle Fri 04-Apr-14 17:26:22

Why don't you go for Augustin? I know an adult Augustin who is Gus for short. I think it's a lovely name.

MrsBennetsEldest Fri 04-Apr-14 17:28:10

Ever seen the Film August Rush?
It's a great name.

Frontdoorstep Fri 04-Apr-14 18:45:08

Anyone remember August Darnell, Kid Creole and the Coconuts? The only time I've heard the name August but because of August Darnell, I'd assume a boys name.

KiwiBanana Fri 04-Apr-14 20:03:16

I can't decide if I like it (no help, sorry!)
It is a bit girly but not too girly. The right boy could get away with it and rock it, whereas it a different boy would not suit it at all.

Cringechilli Fri 04-Apr-14 20:12:31

I like Magnus better. I think August is OK and don't think it's girly but it is a month. August had been on one of the Scandi dramas but I guess the month of August is called something else in Swedish/Danish!

MrsBongleChops Fri 04-Apr-14 20:15:02

August is not a name it's a month. But more feminine sounding in name terms (ie. lots of girls called June, May, April etc).
Know you're not that keen but what about Augustus? Then Gus (which is fab) would be perfect! Or just name him Gus!
Fab!

YoungBritishPissArtist Fri 04-Apr-14 20:26:33

I'm going to go against the grain and say I love August, but not the nn Gus! blush

pencilsharpener Fri 04-Apr-14 20:39:29

I've never heard August as a name and would assume it was for a girl.

If you want to use Gus for short, you can use:

Fergus
Angus
Magnus
Augustus
Gustav

catinbootz Fri 04-Apr-14 20:48:26

Angus

August is all boy.

susiedaisy Fri 04-Apr-14 21:36:24

Love the name but it's definitely a girls name IMO

rachel234 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:36:36

August is definitely a boys name. I know a teenage August who's pretty cool. Great name!

Girls form is Augusta or Augustine.

OddFrog Fri 04-Apr-14 21:39:42

Love it, I think August goes well with your others too.
He'll be I good company: handsome fella

Kingsfold Fri 04-Apr-14 21:41:55

Cool name. Augustus is good too.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 04-Apr-14 21:46:53

I work with an August (American) - gay but not the slightest bit girly. I like it.

I love the 'Gus' names - Angus, Magnus, etc

There was also a playwright called August Wilson - I can't believe people think it's a girls name. Also it has a great meaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now