Xanthe

(24 Posts)
Vijac Thu 03-Apr-14 15:53:23

What's your view on this name?

TheBigBumTheory Thu 03-Apr-14 16:03:31

I love it, can be Xan for short.

DealForTheKids Thu 03-Apr-14 16:05:42

I see the first bit and start singing Xanadu...

But then I would absolutely call my child Xanadu if I could grin - so yep, I really like it.

ProfYaffle Thu 03-Apr-14 16:11:58

As it's dd2's name we kinda like it wink

I see gum, sorry.

PreciousPeach Thu 03-Apr-14 16:29:25

Love it and would use it if it want for the fact that it sounds like santy which is what we call Santa here!

Yama Thu 03-Apr-14 16:30:43

Love it.

Oldandcobwebby Thu 03-Apr-14 16:33:23

DD's middle name. We love it!

LoveVintage Thu 03-Apr-14 16:36:39

Do you pronounce it Zan-they or Zantay?

DiamondsAndRust Thu 03-Apr-14 17:42:11

Love it, and the NN Xan. It means 'yellow-haired', though, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about using it for a child who isn't.

SushiForBreakfast Thu 03-Apr-14 17:46:28

Absolutely love it, as I do all ancient Greek names... Yes it means fair haired or blonde, so if accuracy is important to you and you think your little one will be dark haired then maybe go with something else.

I met a little Xanthe a few months ago and she was adorable. So I extra love it now!

Vijac Thu 03-Apr-14 18:25:58

Xan-the. Do people pronounce it another way?!

NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 18:28:48

it is a lovely name

ProfYaffle Thu 03-Apr-14 19:12:25

The only downside is that people mis-pronounce it a lot. We get Zan-tee and Zan-the-a. Despite being corrected numerous times, Dd2's swimming teacher called her Xanthia for ages and wondered why Xanthe didn't respond grin

Passthebiscuitspls Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:34

It's on my list - I love it!

Bowlersarm Thu 03-Apr-14 19:17:53

The Xanthe we know is pronounced zan-thee-a.

I like it though, pronounciations aside.

TheBigBumTheory Thu 03-Apr-14 19:20:46

Zan-thee, more emphasis on first syllable.

Vijac Thu 03-Apr-14 21:26:52

It's unlikely she would be yellow haired. That does put me off a little bit not a lot. Do you prefer Heidi or Xanthe? Or Indigo, Isabella or Gabriella? Thanks! Do you think any of these names suggest a particular type of family or are they pretty neutral?

Trooperslane Thu 03-Apr-14 21:40:22

I love Gabriella on your no 2 list.

Also Xanthe. Don't know where the Xan-the-a comes from.

LePetitPont Thu 03-Apr-14 22:07:07

Love this - on our shortlist! Phonetically Zan-Thee.

I thought it meant golden or chrysanthemum. It hasn't occurred to me to go with a literal interpretation of blonde hair!

Eastpoint Thu 03-Apr-14 23:05:21

I know a medium brown Xanthe who is 12, lovely name. Parents are creative. The Gabriella I know is ½ Brazilian & parents are medics. Loads of Isabellas who are teens. I know older Heidis, closer to 25 or dog Heidis.

I'd be too concerned with the connotations the expression 'Indigo child' has to choose Indigo as a name:

'Psychics often associate indigo paranormal auras with an interest in religion or with intense spirituality and intuition. Indigo children are said to have predominately indigo auras. People with indigo auras are said to favor occupations such as computer analyst, animal caretaker, and counselor.' (Wikipedia).

ProfYaffle Fri 04-Apr-14 06:55:55

I always understood Xanthia to be a totally different name. Re the meaning, the book I read said 'golden' rather than blonde so we took it to mean golden as in, precious, highly prized etc. Funnily enough my Xanthe's middle name is Indigo. A couple of years ago we met another little girl called Xanthe Violet.

UriGeller Fri 04-Apr-14 10:00:12

I love Xanthe. I quite like Gabriella too. But Isabella is beautiful and both Izzy and Bella are cool nicknames. (Where as Gabby and Ella are just ugh)

MoominIsEightNinthsManatee Fri 04-Apr-14 10:21:13

There's a Xanthe in the year above me at uni. She's quirky and lovely. Just pronounced 'Zanth'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now