Please give me your gut reaction too… Daelyn

(54 Posts)
Picklemom Mon 31-Mar-14 18:01:49

Interested in anyone's first reaction to that name.

atthestrokeoftwelve Mon 31-Mar-14 18:04:10

Chav central.

MrsMarigold Mon 31-Mar-14 18:04:57

No - what?

picnicbasketcase Mon 31-Mar-14 18:05:37

Is it a boy or girl's name? It's not very attractive tbh

VerucaInTheNutRoom Mon 31-Mar-14 18:06:16

Sounds like something from Game of Thrones.

NatashaBee Mon 31-Mar-14 18:07:34

I was also going to say Game of Thrones... even though I don't watch it, it sounds like the sort of name that series uses.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 31-Mar-14 18:08:01

Was just coming on to say exactly that veruca.

I don't like made up names to be honest. It sounds very American, too which is fine but it's not my cup of tea.

EyelinerQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 18:08:08

It sounds like a collection of randomly generated letters shoved together.

If you're aiming for GoT territory I'd just go balls to the wall and opt for Daenerys.

Beanymonster Mon 31-Mar-14 18:08:32

Is it pronounced Dylan? Depends on surname- smith might get away wth it but anything more extreme Deff not.. And whether you want.. Them? To spend their life spelling their names!

furlinedsheepskinjacket Mon 31-Mar-14 18:10:13

daley much nicer

Yika Mon 31-Mar-14 18:10:41

Sounds and looks pretty to me (and I'm not at all chavvy and have never seen Game of Thrones). Would you pronounce it Dale-in?

Fragglewump Mon 31-Mar-14 18:10:43

Dylan is much nicer and less 'try hard'

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 31-Mar-14 18:10:48

Welsh ?

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 31-Mar-14 18:11:35

I've squinted at it and looked sideways. Tried saying it in a variety of accents and I'm afraid I just don't understand it. The D is fine, scan across to a, okay, I'm following you, e ?? No, lost.

Nevertell Mon 31-Mar-14 18:15:04

Sci fi/vampire crossover actor.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Mon 31-Mar-14 18:16:07

1) misspelt dylan?

2) Fantasy fan? Don't recall it from GoT, but a lot of minor characters floating around there.

3) I'd pronounce it Day-lin.

Pronounced 'day-lin' I'm assuming? And female? It's very pretty once you have seen it ŵritten down first, if you see what I mean.

I think it also sounds game of thrones-esque/LOTR/fantasy novel, but in my books that is a good thing as I like that genre.

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure it doesn't have a strange/odd/rude meaning in another language if you've 'made' the name yourself. I've heard of people naming their children lovely sounding welsh words, only to find out that they've just named their child 'snail' or some such clanger!

WhoNickedMyName Mon 31-Mar-14 18:19:11

No. It looks like you couldn't decide on a name so mashed a few together.

GiveTwoSheets Mon 31-Mar-14 18:20:15

I'm another one who sees it as pronounced it as It being Dylan if it is that I like the name just the spelling I'm unsure about

JabberJabberJay Mon 31-Mar-14 18:20:43

Awful.

Please reconsider.

GiveTwoSheets Mon 31-Mar-14 18:20:49

Grr should read my post before I submit

alita7 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:21:31

Girl or boy? Either way I don't like it but I do like Caylin.

OP I stand corrected, it's old English for 'small valley' see here

An alternative spelling that came up was Daelynn, perhaps a little more 'obviously' female, and also still v pretty.

here also some feedback on the from a baby naming website, apologies if you've already seen it and this is where you found it.

AbraStone Mon 31-Mar-14 18:26:34

It looks like the result of chucking the scrabble tiles on the floor and using whatever lands face up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now