John....

(53 Posts)
Babiesonthebrain Mon 31-Mar-14 10:45:03

DH is set on using it if DC1 (due late summer) is a boy.

It's a family name and really important to him, so i'd like to be able to use it, I just don't LOVE the name. But then I don't really love ANY boys names.

I'd be more tempted if we could name the baby Johnny with a more modern middle name. I'm thinking Johnny Flynn, Johnny Beau etc, but DH would definitely want John on the birth certificate.

Any thoughts?

HyvaPaiva Mon 31-Mar-14 10:45:30

LOVE!

squoosh Mon 31-Mar-14 11:05:55

I love the name Johnny.

In case you're not aware though there's a musician called Johnny Flynn, I'm a huge fan. He's also an actor and I have the feeling he'll get a lot more famous.

HaPPy8 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:06:10

Love it.

EyelinerQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 11:06:20

Not mad on John but LOVE Johnny.

Emubaby Mon 31-Mar-14 11:08:42

LOVE

MamaPingu Mon 31-Mar-14 11:17:43

I think having John on the birth certificate is always the best way to go, but then call him Johnny smile

Sharaluck Mon 31-Mar-14 11:21:39

Yes call him Johnny. I think john is fine for the birth crtificate.

Maybe give 2 middle names to make it more substantial and flow nicer with the middle names you've chosen.

Taylorised Mon 31-Mar-14 11:23:40

I was in the exact same situation as you this time last year. John is also a family tradition in husbands family & I thought it was a bit plain & boring. We now have a gorgeous 9 month old boy who absolutely suits his name, John. Anyone who asks his name are shocked but in a nice way as it is unusual to hear of babies with traditional names grin We do call him Johnny Boy most of the time grin

Bowlersarm Mon 31-Mar-14 11:35:30

Johnny is very cool.

Mrswellyboot Mon 31-Mar-14 11:37:01

I know a baby John it is lovely on him

However if you don't love it, go for Johnny, it's gorgeous

skinnyflatwhite Mon 31-Mar-14 11:37:59

I love the name John.

Johnny reminds me of Boden or John Lewis smile

Middleagedmotheroftwo Mon 31-Mar-14 11:39:13

Johnny Flynn and Johnny Beau are awful (sorry OP).

Johnny is not a name, its a nick name. Name him John, and call him Johnny if you like it. That will allow him some gravitas when he's running the country in years to come.

aGirlDownUnder1 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:43:45

I don't really like it sorry, seems very 'meh'

alita7 Mon 31-Mar-14 11:53:41

I like it, it's on our list, it's my dad's name smile

FlipFantasia Mon 31-Mar-14 12:25:18

I love John. A real classic and under-used. John on birth cert and Johnny as daily nn is a lovely combo.

GildaFarren Mon 31-Mar-14 13:59:20

DS2 is a John and I love it but, as everyone is saying, it isn't very common these days. (Nor is it meh shock). He's 18 now and we only know one other John who is a little bit older and is a neighbour.

At school I remember there being quite a few Johns in our year (70s) but by the time DS2 was born it really had fallen out of favour.

It's probably due a revival - although I've been saying that for about 10 years now, so maybe not - but I wouldn't be overly surprised if it becomes a little more popular in the near future.

chattychattyboomba Mon 31-Mar-14 14:02:01

Wow a lot of people like it. I also think it's a bit 'meh'. Very stock standard but if that's what you like then why not.

derektheladyhamster Mon 31-Mar-14 14:02:46

We wanted John as it's a family name, but DH wanted it spelt Jon. So we chose Jonathan, assuming that it would be shortened. It hasn't so far! (he's 14 now)

Go with John on the BC, call him Johnny as a nn

squoosh Mon 31-Mar-14 14:04:21

I do find the name John a bit 'meh', it's just Johnny I like really. It's a bit like Paul or David, know squillions of them in their thirties. Know two baby Johns as well.

HopelessDei Mon 31-Mar-14 15:15:40

Adore Johnny (but would put John on bc).

It's uncommon but not unusual - good combo smile

sonlypuppyfat Mon 31-Mar-14 15:19:25

Perfect name John! Proper mans name. A John will never let you down.

DramaAlpaca Mon 31-Mar-14 15:43:19

I find John a bit boring, but I do like Johnny.

Like others have said, call him Johnny but have John on the BC.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 31-Mar-14 17:27:50

Why put John on the BC though if you aren't actually going to have it as his name? If you don't like the name enough to actually call your child it then don't use it. I personally think it's quite unfair you are being pressured into giving your child a name you don't like.

Can you compromise and have John as a middle name?

ThatOtherTime Mon 31-Mar-14 17:31:10

John on its own is great but I am not keen on Johnny Flynn or Johnny beau. In fact I am not too keen on Johnny at all sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now