Ben

(18 Posts)
Chloerose75 Sun 30-Mar-14 23:51:43

What long version of Ben do you think is the nicest or would you use just Ben?

I like Benjamin but not sure if I love it. Really like Reuben but would it be confusing to use Reuben and Ben for short? Benedict?

Thanks (I'm ttc and waiting out the 2ww, not pregnant yet just musing, but humour me smile )

brokenhearted55a Mon 31-Mar-14 00:14:13

Benedict reminds me of the papacy. How many popes have been called Benedict.

Benjamin is nicer option of Ben or Benjy.

nevergoogle Mon 31-Mar-14 00:32:05

personally i find Ben one of the dullest boys names around.

I do like Reuben though, but would shorten to Roo.

brokenhearted55a Mon 31-Mar-14 00:36:01

As in Roo from winnie the poo...? Lol

Chloerose75 Mon 31-Mar-14 00:57:32

I have always liked Ben, doesn't bother me if some find it boring. I am not completely set on using it but definitely like it regardless of popularity or anything else.

Roo is cute for a baby, family used nickname etc. would be a bit concerned about people using ruby but hopefully they wouldn't.

Benedict is a bit popey actually yes. I like it but not sure how "me" it is

BartBaby Mon 31-Mar-14 02:21:53

We used Benjamin, but he only ever gets called Ben. I still love it.

shoobidoo Mon 31-Mar-14 08:13:03

Much prefer Reuben! Great name.

Redbookworm Mon 31-Mar-14 18:20:24

I have a Benn. He is just Benn ( not a Benjamin or anything else)and as we have a common surname we decided to spell it with two 'n's.

alita7 Mon 31-Mar-14 18:22:48

I like Reuben and benedict- haven't heard of Reuben being shortened to Ben but you can make it work if you like it smile

Kaekae Mon 31-Mar-14 18:24:51

I also find it a little dull too I'm afraid. I prefer Reuben.

JonSnowsPout Mon 31-Mar-14 18:27:09

We have a Ben. Just Ben not Benjamin.

Both me and dh have uncommon outlandish first names so our kids have very short, classic names grin

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 31-Mar-14 18:32:08

I have a Ben too. Although I have been told he should have been called Benjamin or Bernard as Ben 'isn't a proper name'. hmm

On the plus side it will be easy to learn to write!

everlong Mon 31-Mar-14 19:38:52

Much prefer Benjamin and Benedict.

bucylen Thu 03-Apr-14 05:53:01

I have a Benjamin, he insisted on Ben and is now all grown up.
He likes his name and not many can say that.

I still love it and so does his wife!

squoosh Thu 03-Apr-14 12:08:43

I like Ben and Benjamin and Benedict.

Reuben is awful although seems to have become very trendy in the last couple of years.

I have twins. I named one, dh the other. dh chose Benjamin. We have a common surname and he gets called Ben. He's 2 tomorrow. I much prefer Benjamin to Ben, but calling 3 little ones constantly even I rarely use Benjamin. my gp has a similar aged Benjamin. my hv has a grown up, or late teens at least Benjamin. One of my friends just named her little boy Benjamin. Mine is in good company and suits his name.

I didn't like benedict as too churchy for a non faith family.

Ilikepancakes Thu 03-Apr-14 15:40:25

I love Reuben but wouldn't shorten it to Ben - a bit confusing.

For Ben I like both Benjamin and Benedict. As you'll always call him Ben it might be simpler to pick Benjamin as that is what people will assume it's short for anyway.

bakingtins Thu 03-Apr-14 16:47:47

I prefer Benjamin. I also like Reuben but wouldn't shorten it to Ben, because the way it's said the first syllable is stressed so it's more obviously Roo or Reubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now