Is Katie too popular?

(55 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Sat 29-Mar-14 21:53:26

Thinking of this name for dd2 (but Katherine on birth certificate).

Dd1 has a very unusual but classic name i.e. Juliet

I love that dd1 name isn't in the top 100 and though I love Katie it seems to be getting popular.

GirlsonFilm Sat 29-Mar-14 21:56:47

I was talking to someone today who paints children's names pictures.....very busy does 500+ pictures per year. She said she's never done a Kate so not that popular.

permaquandry Sat 29-Mar-14 21:58:52

I love Katie and Kate, all those I've met called either name have been lovely.

It's a pretty name for a baby and a classic name for an adult.

Congrats!

MamaPingu Sat 29-Mar-14 21:59:45

I think it's fine smile

I think the name is most popular for people my age and even I don't know many.

I definitely haven't seen a young Katie in a long time so I think it'd be fine smile

ExcuseTypos Sat 29-Mar-14 22:01:03

Katie is so popular around here, but I think if you really like it you should go for it.

permaquandry Sat 29-Mar-14 22:01:16

Oh and to answer your question, there isn't one child at my kids' school or a sibling with either name.

TheBeanpole Sat 29-Mar-14 22:05:14

My DN is Katie. She's 5. She's the only one in her school.

Weegiemum Sat 29-Mar-14 22:08:20

I have a 14 year old Katherine.

JellyMould Sat 29-Mar-14 22:09:35

I know 3 Katies born in the last year.

JabberJabberJay Sat 29-Mar-14 22:10:47

I only know one Katie. She's 5.

hannahwinter Sat 29-Mar-14 22:12:25

Yes.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 29-Mar-14 22:14:01

I'd be pissed off if my big sister got Juliet and I was called Katie.

hannahwinter Sat 29-Mar-14 22:16:12

(Now I know my name change worked)

There are loads of us. Remember that lots of catherines become kate / katies too. Please don't add to our numbers! I wish I had an unusual name and wasn't forever known as 'Katie X' so I don't get muddled up with the 3 others in my office.

I know young katies too. Nice name but too common.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Sat 29-Mar-14 22:18:03

My dd is Katie short for Katherine. I expected it to be pretty popular but actually in 4 years I've only met one other Katie of her sort of age.

Unlike a good friend of mine who gave both her kids "unusual" names - I know 3 others with her son's name and 4 others with her daughter's name.

Beamur Sat 29-Mar-14 22:18:22

I don't think it's that popular. I only know one young Katie, most of the Kate/Katie/katherines I know are in their 30's or 40's. Maybe it depends where you live.

paddyclampo Sat 29-Mar-14 22:20:35

I have a Katie and she's lovely smile It's a popular name without being too common I think. Go for it!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 29-Mar-14 22:27:35

There is one Katie at DD's toddler group, I really like the name & it's certainly not too overused nowadays.

I would have considered it for DD, but it is also one of my DSis' names & we wouldn't risk offending my other DSis when her name wasn't used (although it's a good name too).

Dumplings4ever Sat 29-Mar-14 22:31:57

My DD is a Katie - so obviously I love the name.

The only thing I'd say is be prepared to "spell it out" every time you register her for something.
This usually goes - "This is Katie, spelt with an IE not a Y".

BE WARNED xxxxxxx

Fishandjam Sat 29-Mar-14 22:37:28

I have a Katherine/Katie. Don't know any others under the age of 40. And as her proper name is Katherine all I have to do is specify that it's with a K; don't care how anyone spells the diminutive.

I sometimes nickname her Katla after the Icelandic volcano, if she's having a particularly stroppy day grin

andsmile Sat 29-Mar-14 22:41:31

Katie Price...meh

Kate Hopkins ....meh

stretch to far sorry

I'm a nearly 39 year old Katie, not short for anything, just Katie. I've always liked it. A girl at DS's school's little sister is called Katie too, she's the only other one that I know.
My sister's called Julie, so your names def. go together smile smile

squoosh Sun 30-Mar-14 00:03:11

'I'd be pissed off if my big sister got Juliet and I was called Katie.'

grin

My thoughts exactly! Nothing wrong with Katie but Juliet is so much nicer.

I have a Katie, not Katherine, just Katie. Lovely name. smile It is very popular around these parts too. There's 3 other Katie's in her year.

TheAwfulDaughter Sun 30-Mar-14 00:26:10

I know Squoosh! They just don't go together. You can't give one child Shakespearean elegance and the other, well, Katie. grin

Cate, full name Catherine is nicer. Like Cate Blanchett. I do like that. The C is just softer and lovelier. Saying 'Cate with a C' isn't really an issue either as with Katie she'll be saying 'with an ie/y'

Juliet and Cate Surname. Pretty.

NearTheWindymill Sun 30-Mar-14 00:37:51

Since when has Juliet been unusual? Imogen, Phoebe, Louisa, Claudia, Olivia, Penelope, Helena, Lydia, Flora, Rosamund - all go better with Juliet though than Katie in my opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now