we have a shortlist for dd6 (dc10) opinions please

(36 Posts)
oldbutnotpastit Tue 18-Mar-14 15:02:50

dd6 due in early July we have a short list i'll list them in order of preference

Miranda
Hermione
we both love these 2

however ,we have others on our longer shortlist just in case she doesn't suit either of these .
they are

Cecilia i love this dh likes it but doesn't love it and dd5's mn is Cecily
Clarissa we both like this a lot but with the death of clarissa d-w will everyone just think 2 fat ladies .

then we have the wild cards which we both love but are not 100% certain about
Winifred we both love this .we love it's meaning but are surname begins with W and ends in D. Is it too clunky . we're not sure it fits with her sisters' names
Merewen we both love it's meaning and it's sound but is it too out there and is the fact it rhymes with heroin/heroine an issue .
Priscilla is the nn prissy a deal breaker?

any advice opinions greatly received but please be gentle .

Marcipex Wed 19-Mar-14 00:23:17

What lovely names you have chosen.
Miranda or Merewen would go with that list.

I think St Cecilia was blind, I think that's the link with blindness mentioned above.but then, Amelia means missing limbs, and that's a popular name now, so many people can't have learnt their Latin.

Miranda Cecilia or Merewen Cecilia are both great names.

HippoCritic Wed 19-Mar-14 04:18:11

Congratulations! I LOVE Merewen, it sounds beautiful. Sorry, really dislike Priscilla. I think the Cecilia/Cecily thing is similar, but it doesn't matter. The name is beautiful and elegant imo. Would Celia work if you were more concerned about the Cecily similarity?

noodlebum Wed 19-Mar-14 09:22:38

I like Hermione and Merewen best, from your choices.

oldbutnotpastit Wed 19-Mar-14 11:19:43

choosing names is so difficult and doesn't get easier .

i really like hermione it fells strong yet gentle . i know there is the harry potter connection but i think that is much less than it would have been 10 years ago . hermione grainger is not a bad role model for a little girl anyway.it is also the only name dh has come up with indepently .it really surprised me because any name related to a tv / film character he normally vetoes

Miranda i like alot it's meaning is brilliant but it fee ls maybe slightly haughty .i'm not sure why it is so low in the popularity rankings .i worry the fame of miranda hart will make it increase in popularity and make it date quickly .

merewen i also really like it's meaning and it's nn potential . really pleased with the positive responses to it .We have a tudor so not sure why i'm worried about merewen being to out there

Cecilia i love the name and the nns celia or cece but i dislike it's meaning although i have heard it also interpreted it as meaning hidden /obscure or posibbly from the welsh for sixth but i think that link is tenuous .My dh is less keen on it because i have a light lisp and he worries it's to sibilant

GwennieF Mon 24-Mar-14 18:18:54

Either Merewen or Winifred would be my choice. I would have loved the nn Freddie. ..

Allalonenow Mon 24-Mar-14 18:42:36

Miranda and Clarissa are my favourites, I don't think you should let Two Fat ladies put you off as it will soon fade into obscurity.

I also like Cecilia a great deal, but it is close to Celia, what does your DD with that name think?

I think the HP link with Hermione spoils it a little. I'm not keen on Merewen, and I'm glad you've crossed off Winifred.

If you like the OE names what about Rowena?

Buttercup27 Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:26

I love winnie but would be worried about winnie the pooh

Pinkcustardpurplecustard Mon 24-Mar-14 19:14:31

Clarissa and hermionie

oldbutnotpastit Wed 26-Mar-14 10:01:11

i think we have narrowed it down to Hermione or Merewen . i worry that ahve 4 daughters with names ending in a may be a bit too samey . also that Miranda may be about to have a maassive spike in popularity due to Miranda hart .

FriggFRIGG Thu 27-Mar-14 17:47:47

Merewen was on my list for DC3,but it was too long really with our surname...I definitely think you should go with it,it's so pretty and has lovely potential nn's.

oldbutnotpastit Thu 27-Mar-14 20:16:00

frigg i think it's lovely especially it's nn potential and meaning, i think you may have inadvertently drawn my attention to it . i am a huge fan of the british baby names blog and i think you may have requested Merewen as name of the week
i now have to persuade my dh that it's not to out there .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now