Eva-why do I only think of Hitler's wife?!

(27 Posts)
Perchance2dream Fri 14-Mar-14 18:49:23

Trying in vain to pick a name and like this but can't stop thinking of Hitler's mistress/wife! Mad?!

NurseyWursey Fri 14-Mar-14 18:52:12

How about Ava instead?

Although Eva doesn't make me think of Hitler's misses smile

woodrunner Fri 14-Mar-14 18:55:02

Bit mad. Don't pick it then!

Similar-ish names:
Ava
Evie
Edie
Elsa
Isla
Iona
Orla
Vivienne (Vivi)
Vera
Viola
Mia
Pia
Lia
Livia
Rosa

NotMyChashkaChai Fri 14-Mar-14 22:57:07

As hitler's wife would have pronounced her name 'ay-va', Ava probably isn't the best alternative!

AnneWentworth Fri 14-Mar-14 22:59:44

It doesn't make me think that at all. It makes me think of Eva Peron madonna

I think it is very pretty.

Glasshammer Fri 14-Mar-14 23:05:57

Ada
Ivy
Evelyn

Glasshammer Fri 14-Mar-14 23:06:20

Eva is nice though

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 14-Mar-14 23:44:45

Hitlers wife would have pronounced Eva as Ava - normal German pronounciation.

Nevertheless - I know I can never use either Eva or Ava because the surname would be a four letter name beginning with B. Every time I think it, I think of Eva Braun. A shame, but a definite no.

Not sure why you think it with all Eva's though op!

YouGrateMyCheese Sat 15-Mar-14 02:01:41

I have a friend with a newborn Eva and when I was telling someone the baby's name, she said the same thing - she instantly thought of Eva Braun! It never would have occurred to me, and I still think it's a non-issue. Rewire your brain and picture Eva Cassidy instead. smile

Innogen Sat 15-Mar-14 02:02:19

I think of Hitler too.

DaleyBump Sat 15-Mar-14 02:21:58

Me too

DaleyBump Sat 15-Mar-14 02:23:01

Posted too soon. It's a shame, it's a lovely name but I wouldn't be able to use it myself.

AdoraBell Sat 15-Mar-14 02:29:54

Makes me think of Eva Perón.

If you really can't Get past the asociación with Hitler then I'd say Choose something different.

CruCru Sat 15-Mar-14 20:41:37

It is a nice name but if that is your first thought I would pick something else. Apart from anything else, I know loads of Evas.

JohnFarleysRuskin Sat 15-Mar-14 21:34:24

As a child of the 70s, hitlers missus was the only Eva I "knew"

BlondeMalteser Sat 15-Mar-14 21:51:10

I think of her too! Thought I was the only one

perplexedpirate Sat 15-Mar-14 21:59:41

Reminds me of Eva Braun and also the Eva Peron.
Eva Peron wouldn't be bad but I heard a program on the radio talking about her body going missing after death and being kept on display as a kind of trophy for years, and that's my go-to image, now. sad
So no, not a fan!

Swoosg Sat 15-Mar-14 22:02:30

Dh vetoed this for the same reason so I would pick something else. Cara? Lara?

RoadToTuapeka Sat 15-Mar-14 23:04:00

I have 4 friends with girls under 3 named Eva. I have never made that link (i am over 35). It's a nice enough name but seems to be the Isabella of the last few years.

AmysTiara Sat 15-Mar-14 23:16:36

Me too. I know an Ava Brown and although it's not exactly the same it totally makes me think of Hitler.blush

SingSongSlummy Sat 15-Mar-14 23:21:03

I don't think of Hitler when I hear the name, I just think 'not another one' as there are about a million Eva's and Ava's under 4 that I know at the moment. Add in the Ella's and that's pretty much it!

Avacathar Sat 15-Mar-14 23:34:48

My daughter is called Ava, it wasn't decided until last minute, when I rung up my Gran I said Gran... Ava Catherine Harriet, her first response was oh after Ava Gardner? which I was surprised as she is Jewish I thought she would have associated with Hitlers Mistress.

her second comment was...I don't like it when people has two middle names...err thanks Gran, don't you have two middle names? Yes but I don't like having two middle names!

xx

Scarletohello Sat 15-Mar-14 23:37:33

Wow never thought of that. I have a friend whose daughter is called Eva. Is a beautiful name and really suits her. No Nazi associations at all! If you like it go for it!

squoosh Sun 16-Mar-14 00:13:06

I love the name and am not reminded of dictator's girlfriends or blonde Argentinian first ladies.

It's popularity does put me off but I love its simplicity and far prefer it to the swathes of ultra girlie Millys, Lilys and Isabellas.

Grandemama Sun 16-Mar-14 23:28:21

Eva Longoria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now