Thoughts on this name?

(22 Posts)
Seminyak Sat 08-Mar-14 13:04:31

Love it, it's on my list

Allalonenow Sat 08-Mar-14 12:18:00

I think it's a lovely name, it reminds me of the dove of peace. I like Lola as a nn too.

Floggingmolly Sat 08-Mar-14 12:11:01

Now that I didn't know, 2girls. Point taken smile

2girls4lou Sat 08-Mar-14 11:49:31

Nice names with bad meanings:

Emily - Rival
Claudia-Lame
Cecilia- blind
Deirdre- sorrowful
Lola- lady of sorrows
Mara- bitter
Portia- pig
Saskia- knife
Byron- barn of cows
Cameron- crooked nose

Point being- don't worry about Paloma meaning pigeon as most people know it to mean dove anyway

2girls4lou Sat 08-Mar-14 11:46:10

I think it's lovely. Floggingmolly I always knew it to mean "dove" and I think that's what most people think of, not pigeon. Let's not forget that Rachael means "female sheep" but that hasn't put people off!

Coconutty Sat 08-Mar-14 11:39:31

I like it nn Lola.

lljkk Sat 08-Mar-14 11:39:13

It's okay, I would have thought Pam is obv nn.

LCHammer Sat 08-Mar-14 11:39:13

Paloma Picasso as well. It's like Pamela but more exotic. I quite like it.

UriGeller Sat 08-Mar-14 11:38:52

Paloma is lovely. I think of Paloma Picasso.

And it makes me think of Palomino which would be a lovely name too.

Floggingmolly Sat 08-Mar-14 11:37:22

But lots of English people are aware of the meaning, op. I'm Irish and I knew it...

Dovahkiin Sat 08-Mar-14 11:35:56

Still voting for Paloma here. Professor Wikipedia suggests lots of famous Spanish and American women called Paloma, including the brilliantly named Paloma Kwiatkowski, which suggests a truly international background smile

Samantha = Samantha Fox = lady mullet and giant boobs. Not good.

ClareaBear Sat 08-Mar-14 11:35:05

Thanks for the input EyelinerQueen. Not having any Spanish connections or connections to Spanish people, this doesn't concern me too much smile

EyelinerQueen Sat 08-Mar-14 11:31:45

It means both dove and pigeon.

The name came up in a conversation with my Spanish relatives and they all disliked it and said their first thought was 'pigeon'.

Not being a fan of the disease-ridden winged rats, it is enough to put me right off grin .

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 08-Mar-14 11:30:53

I prefer Ingrid.

Lyonesse Sat 08-Mar-14 11:28:07

It actually means both dove and pigeon smile

PandaFeet Sat 08-Mar-14 11:28:06

I just think of Paloma Faith the singer.

On a side note, Samantha seems to be coming back in. I know of two baby Samanthas born recently.

ClareaBear Sat 08-Mar-14 11:24:44

EyelinerQueen it actually does mean dove, not pigeon smile I understand where you are coming from but there are so many popular names that people use whether they have connections to that country or not. French- Madeleine, Aimee, Amelie, Fleur, Eloise, Monique, Lorraine, Jolie, Ariane, Renee, Blanche, Elise, Camille, Jacqueline, Esme, just off the top of my head!!

Spanish- Sofia, Isabella, Gabriella, Bianca, Antonia, Natalia, Marina.. Name's are crossing over more and more now and I don't really see that as any bad thing

ClareaBear Sat 08-Mar-14 11:19:36

Dovahkiin I was surprised myself especially as he suggested "Iingrid" a few weeks ago!!

Dovahkiin Sat 08-Mar-14 11:19:01

I thought it was dove rather than pigeon - much nicer connotations smile

EyelinerQueen Sat 08-Mar-14 11:17:08

I don't like it - it's Spanish for pigeon which is not pretty or feminine.

I also don't think it goes with James/Jamie. At all.

And I don't understand English people using Spanish/French names when there's no direct connection.

Dovahkiin Sat 08-Mar-14 11:12:45

It's a lovely name! I wish my DH would come up with something half as nice - he suggested Samantha earlier...
I think Lola or Polly would be natural nicknames.

ClareaBear Sat 08-Mar-14 11:03:21

I am expecting a baby girl (sister for brother Jamie- Christened James). My husband and I had narrowed down our final list but he came to me a couple of days ago after watching a film with a character called Paloma. wasn't keen at first but it is already growing on me. What do people think of this? One thing that concerns me is I like nicknames and names that can be shortened. I cam't think of anything for Paloma other than Pal/Pally but to be frank that reminds me of a dog's name! Any input would be great smile Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now