What are your thoughts on Elvie?

(59 Posts)
LuckyVal Sat 08-Mar-14 00:14:57

Our girl is due in a couple of weeks and after much research(!) I've recently come to love the name Elvie.
It reminds me of many names that I love but that OH has not been keen on...
For example; Sylvie, Vivienne, Elsie, Edie
As it is very unusual I wondered what are your thoughts?

Thanks

LuckyVal Sun 09-Mar-14 07:47:33

I love Sylvie but I haven't pushed OH on it as our DS name starts with S and our surname begins and ends with S too so I think it's a Sssss overload.. sad

I think the LV thing could be said of many names. EV? ED?

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 09-Mar-14 08:06:32

I'm not keen personally but it's not the worst name I've ever heard! Feel free to ignore me though; I have very particular taste in names and have only boys so am particularly shit with girls names.

However, I absolutely love love love Elsie/Edie from your list. If DS2 had been a girl I wanted to name him either Elsie after DH's aunt or Meredith with Edie as a NN.

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 09-Mar-14 08:09:57

P.S does it go nicely with your DS' name? You will find yourself saying them so often together "DS and DD" that if they don't sit nicely it sounds odd. we I really wanted to call DS2 Jasper but because our DS1's name has a similar final syllable they sounded weird together.

yummymango Mon 10-Mar-14 20:40:35

Love it! Sounds nice at any age but unusual.

ginmakesitallok Mon 10-Mar-14 20:44:02

I know an Elvie, love the name!

BaconAndAvocado Mon 10-Mar-14 22:17:25

It's beautiful and very old English.

SelectAUserName Tue 11-Mar-14 11:30:02

Elvira with Elvie as a NN is lovely.

Rooners Tue 11-Mar-14 11:44:11

Sorry, but I don't like it. Saying it out loud is a pretty good test.

It reminds me of Elvis, and also LV like others have said.

I prefer Sylvie tbh.

WeAreSix Tue 11-Mar-14 12:09:05

I don't dislike the name but it seems a bit impractical - one of those names where she'll forever be asked 'How do you spell that?' Which would be annoying IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now