What are your thoughts on Elvie?

(59 Posts)
LuckyVal Sat 08-Mar-14 00:14:57

Our girl is due in a couple of weeks and after much research(!) I've recently come to love the name Elvie.
It reminds me of many names that I love but that OH has not been keen on...
For example; Sylvie, Vivienne, Elsie, Edie
As it is very unusual I wondered what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Innogen Sat 08-Mar-14 00:15:48

Like elves? Santas little helpers?

How about Impie? Of Goblinie?

FourFlapjacksPlease Sat 08-Mar-14 00:16:50

I love it! I think it's very pretty.

Mrswellyboot Sat 08-Mar-14 00:17:06

I love it, really nice name

ashtrayheart Sat 08-Mar-14 00:27:27

I like it. I have an Evie smile

It's like Elvis. Which is very cool.

LuckyVal Sat 08-Mar-14 00:29:45

Haha. Great sense of humour Innogen. No really. Having never really posted on mumsnet before it's great to see immediately that the forums are full of mature and helpful individuals with constructive advice.

Fourflapjacks and Mrswelly.. .thank you smile

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 00:30:45

LV? like luncheon voucher? (shows age)

LuckyVal Sat 08-Mar-14 00:32:18

And ashtray and bouquet thank you too!

I wasn't intentionally going for the Elvis vibe- (although I too think it's a cool name). I think this is where opinions may be mixed....

Innogen Sat 08-Mar-14 00:35:31

LuckyVal... That's what I thought of when I heard the name. It isn't a name I'd choose. I genuinely believe that if you hear people's feelings, associations and negative perceptions, but still love the name, it is the one for you.

If someone saying they don't like it is enough to put you off, it's the wrong choice.

People hate my DCs names. But I don't, and that is what matters.

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 00:36:33

I don't know - how about Elfie short for Elfrida?
Elvie kind of sounds 'made up' no offence

Nocomet Sat 08-Mar-14 00:38:03

Sorry, makes me think of a character in Lord of the Rings or some other fantasy book.

manicinsomniac Sat 08-Mar-14 01:43:23

I quite like it, I think. Definitely unusual. Nicer than Pixie anyway, and that is definitely a name in use.

Nigellas wouldn't Elvie be short for Elvira in exactly the same way as Elfie is short for Elfrida? I don't think Elvie is any more made up than Elfie?

PassAFist Sat 08-Mar-14 01:53:49

We have an annual Elvis festival in our town when we are invaded by Elvis Tribute Artists, and they are collectively referred to as the Elvie.

NigellasDealer Sat 08-Mar-14 02:06:25

oh right yes Elvira, popular name in Italy I think.

gingerchick Sat 08-Mar-14 02:34:16

Elvie immediately makes me think of the fat girl range of clothing (I am a fat girl) albeit spelt differently or the LV insurance company its made up sorry

bubblegoose Sat 08-Mar-14 03:01:38

I really like it.

mathanxiety Sat 08-Mar-14 05:59:23

I would use Alvy instead. It's an Irish name.

Or Elkie.

SuckingGin Sat 08-Mar-14 06:02:10

I don't particularly like it personally, probably because Elvie makes me immediately think of Elvi the plus size clothing shop (in fact when this thread popped up in active convos I thought it was going to be a thread about the clothing store - and that the poster had just misspelled the name).

But stepping back from that association it isn't a bad name, so if you both really like it then go for it.

catinbootz Sat 08-Mar-14 06:02:35

I know an Elvira nn Elvie. Gorgeous.

nooka Sat 08-Mar-14 06:04:54

Seems like just a bit of a name to me, I'd immediately be wondering what it was short for.

Elvis is cool, but obviously not for a girl grin

Pity your OH doesn't like the other names you've suggested, I like Vivienne a lot.

MrsJamin Sat 08-Mar-14 06:10:11

I know an elvie! It's sweet.

17leftfeet Sat 08-Mar-14 06:44:10

Isn't it the nickname of the Jayne horrocks character in little voice?

YeahBitchMagnets Sat 08-Mar-14 06:48:06

No. It's ok as a shortening for Elvira (which is horrible anyway) but on it's own it just sounds contrived and made up.

TamerB Sat 08-Mar-14 06:54:33

I think it sounds like someone made it up to be different from Evie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now