So we're having a boy - help me pick a name?

(20 Posts)
TheBookofRuth Fri 07-Mar-14 20:08:49

So we had our 20 week scan today and according to the scanner (what do you call the people who do the scans, btw?): "we can never be a hundred percent certain, but I'd be surprised if those little boy bits fell off!", so it seems fairly likely we're having a boy.

This has thrown me a bit, because while there are loads of girls names I love, there aren't many boys names I feel strongly about, though there are plenty I quite like.

On the short list so far are:

Samuel
Thomas
Joshua

All names I quite like, but don't love, and I'm aware they're all very popular which puts me off a bit - though his big sister is called Eve, so hardly unique either!

I also like Henry, Gilbert, Nathaniel and Leo, but DH has vetoed them all.

Any comments or suggestions please? We had such a beautiful name picked out for a DD2, so I'm a bit sad we won't get to use it (will probably stop at two).

LEMmingaround Fri 07-Mar-14 20:09:59

Lucas?

Thomas of your list.

Adding
Alexander
Rupert
Edward

missmysexybody Fri 07-Mar-14 20:13:18

Alexander. . .and Eve. Lovely.

Mrswellyboot Fri 07-Mar-14 20:13:29

Henry is lovely

James?
Matthew
Luke
Alfred

DitsyDonkey Fri 07-Mar-14 20:16:53

Henry is a great name and goes nicely with Eve

Innogen Fri 07-Mar-14 20:22:38

Samuel! Gorgeous!

mummybare Fri 07-Mar-14 20:34:34

I like those on your list. Samuel and Joshua are lovely.

How about:
Leon
Edward
Ezekiel (Zeke) - this is my current obsession, but not sure DH is going to allow it...
Bertram
Dashiell
Samson
Fergus
Wilbur
Stanley
Wilfred
Brandon (Bran)
Byron
Ernest
Niall?

hoobypickypicky Fri 07-Mar-14 20:37:40

Joseph
James
Benedict
Matthew
Victor
Edwin

CPtart Fri 07-Mar-14 21:05:55

Adam
Luke
Dominic
Marcus
Evan
Edward
Dominic
James

Not Adam!

Daniel
Aidan
Conrad
William

MagratGarlik Sat 08-Mar-14 00:23:20

Samuel - love.
Alexander - love (but even more popular)
Nathaniel - love

What about Daniel? Or Gabriel? If we had ds3 (not going to happen), he would be Gabriel. That is similar to some of your names.

Bithurt Sat 08-Mar-14 00:44:32

When we found out we were having a boy, we had Jacob as a name, then Hayden, but after he was born, picked a name that we'd not thought of.

We picked a name that we've not heard of a lot and would out me on here!

TheBookofRuth Sat 08-Mar-14 06:16:29

Thanks everyone. Lots of lovely names mentioned that I quite like - and lots that we can't use for family reasons/similarity to surname, etc - but still nothing that I really love. I wonder if maybe that just doesn't exist me in the world of boys names!

TheBookofRuth Sat 08-Mar-14 07:30:22

Ah, it's ok, DD has picked the name for us. DS will be Sam Banana grin

ClareaBear Sat 08-Mar-14 11:18:02

Thomas is one of my favourites but I really like Tommy so would definitely shorten to that. I also like Joshua/Josh. Never been a fan of Samuel.. I know it's a silly reason but I have always known so many female Sam's so I just think of Sam as more of a girls' name now! Alexander is another fave of mine. Tristan/Christian?

moominsville Sat 08-Mar-14 17:14:19

I have an Eve and names I liked for a boy but were vetoed were Toby, Leo, Jacob, Joseph.

Names I loved but couldn't use due to family members were Samuel, James, Thomas, Henry, Alexander, Edward.

We found it very hard! But now we have a lovely little George.

What was your girls name btw?

TheBookofRuth Sat 08-Mar-14 18:42:49

Girl's name would have been Hope, with either Eleanor or Imogen as a middle name.

Maybe one day!

Glasshammer Sat 08-Mar-14 18:56:28

Samuel or Joseph

NightCircus Sat 08-Mar-14 19:42:10

Eve and Samson
Eve and Elijah
Eve and Rowan
Eve and Seth
Eve and Isaac
Eve and Felix
Eve and William
Eve and Elliott

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now