Boys' names that work well in English and Italian

(63 Posts)
mariposa1 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:00:47

Expecting DS2 any day and struggling to think of names which fit the above criteria.

Italian names which I like (Luca, Matteo) are 'too popular' for Italian DP.

His current favourite is Niccolo, nickname Nico. I am leaning towards Oscar. Can anyone suggest any others which might work?

It doesn't have to be an Italian name as such - more 'European' I guess. DS1 is called Raphael and that's a perfect example of the kind of name we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

dustwhatdust Thu 06-Mar-14 23:03:40

Frederico
Alberto
Tomaso
Lorenzo

Theas18 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:12:24

Nico is nice.

Not alessandro please. You don't want to be a teenage called Alice!

Mandy2003 Fri 07-Mar-14 02:09:15

Bruno is Italian too.
Also Francesco.

KingCrimson Fri 07-Mar-14 02:29:22

I like Luca, but it often seems to be used as a girl's name in England, so I'm not sure it's a good choice.

Oriunda Fri 07-Mar-14 06:03:55

Alessandro usually gets shortened to Alex, Sandro or Ale, not Aless.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Fri 07-Mar-14 06:26:50

Giovanni, Gio for short?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Fri 07-Mar-14 08:13:12

Following thread with interest! I am English but was born and raised in Italy and always wanted an Italian element to my children's names. DS is Edward, but we call him Edo a lot of the time, short for Edoardo. I always wanted a name that you can easily say in Italian. Am just pg with DC2 so looking out for some tips ;)

Likewise there are so many names that sound better in Italian - I like Alexander, but I LOVE Alessandro. And don't get me started on girls names that are things of beauty in Italian... Beatrice, Gaia, Federica, Agnese...

I like Salvatore too - Salvo for short.

Francis/Franceso? Frank/ie for short?

Lorenzo is a lovely name - my nephew is Lawrence and we call him Loro, although in Italy it is shortened to Lore or Lollo.

I like Niccolo too. Beware Nicola though, for obvious reasons. Same with Andrea.

(just noticed someone else has said the same thing above..)

amandine07 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:21:00

I love love love Luca!

You mention the teenage mutant ninja turtles connection with Leo...Raphael was the turtle in the red bandanna!

I think you meant you don't want 2 turtle names as opposed to just the one.

amandine07 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:24:19

Just to add about Luca- I've never met or heard of a female Luca here in SE England.

I've only met boys called Luca...no girls, hasn't crossed my mind that it could be for a female.
One of my good friends has a gorgeous son called Luca.

mariposa1 Fri 07-Mar-14 12:12:52

amandine7 yes sorry I meant I didn't want two Ninja Turtle names - I didn't realise they were still popular but apparently they are (and they're bringing out a new film this year!). Shame as I really love Leo.

DP is really not a big fan of Luca, he seems to be the only one as everyone else I know loves it.

flipflops I really do like Lorenzo and all the nickname potential...

YoHoHoandabottleofWine Sat 08-Mar-14 22:02:26

Lorenzo really is a gorgeous name. And Enzo is such a cool nickname. If you can't have a Luca, then if I was you I would definitely have a Lorenzo.

Good luck! Wishing baby a safe arrival.

yummymango Mon 10-Mar-14 20:55:42

My husbands family is Italian - we have an Alessio in the family which is nice. Enzo is usually short for something like Lorenzo or Vincenzo.

I love the name Aldo, our neighbours in Sicily have a little boy called Aldo and he is very cute. We also have:

Daniele
Antonio
Angelo
Giorgio
Claudio

mariposa1 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:02:45

I think Lorenzo is now second choice after Nico. We like both, but, according to DP, Lorenzo is a 'bit of an old man's name' hmm

DP actually seems to favour English names over Italian ones - seems such a shame when the italian ones sound so beautiful to me!

If we go down the 'English' route, I still want Oscar (although apparently there are Oscars in Italy, I don't think of it as an Italian name at all!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now