Boys' names that work well in English and Italian

(63 Posts)
mariposa1 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:00:47

Expecting DS2 any day and struggling to think of names which fit the above criteria.

Italian names which I like (Luca, Matteo) are 'too popular' for Italian DP.

His current favourite is Niccolo, nickname Nico. I am leaning towards Oscar. Can anyone suggest any others which might work?

It doesn't have to be an Italian name as such - more 'European' I guess. DS1 is called Raphael and that's a perfect example of the kind of name we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oriunda Tue 04-Mar-14 11:10:59

Oh and don't forget middle names if you want to throw in a grandparent pleasing name! I know they're not the done thing in Italy (DS had 2 which raised eyebrows) but that way you can have your choice of name before chucking in a family name.

Loris is a great name!

HoneyandRum Tue 04-Mar-14 11:14:40

Loris Caprirossi Grand Prix Motorcycle Road Racer
Loris Reggiani (as above)
Loris Malaguzzi Famous Educator and Theorist
Loris Capovilla Cardinal
Loris Stecca Boxer

Loris is a diminutive of Lorenzo but is a given name in it's own right.

adaloveslace Tue 04-Mar-14 11:19:10

Names of Italian boys I know:

Edouardo (nn Edo)
Alessio (nn Alé)
Lorenzo (nn Enzo)
Davide
Gio (not sure what this is short for, possibly Giorgio?)
Lucca
Stefano

They're all cool actually - I don't think you can go wrong.

Rigo
Conrado
Antonio

Oriunda Tue 04-Mar-14 11:26:38

Problem with Davide is that it will get shortened to David because the final 'e' can be hard to get right. Italian pronunciation much nicer but inevitably will get English one. My DH has an 'e' on end of his name and no one gets it right and he anglicises it now when speaking to English people.

mostlyconfused Tue 04-Mar-14 17:12:44

Luca?

mariposa1 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:32:58

Nico is actually really growing on me - I met up with my mum today and she likes it too, it seems to get a positive reaction generally.

DP has thrown Natan (Italian version of Nathan) into the mix - I like this and love the nickname Nate! Any thoughts?

Oriunda family names which we have considered are Massimo and Fabio, both of which I quite like - but I can't shake the image of that long-haired male model when I think of Fabio! I prefer Fabian or Fabiano...

maitaimojito Thu 06-Mar-14 08:35:05

I know an Alfredo and he says his name isn't common in Italy.

I do really like Nico though.

Oriunda Thu 06-Mar-14 08:40:00

Alfredo v nice and yes I don't know any. Also reminds me of the lovely Freddo in Romanzo Criminale!

Not hugely keen on Natan have to say. Never heard of it in Italy so I guess unusual but doesn't sound nice to my ears.

ooh I remember the hunky Fabio! The one I know is bald!

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 06-Mar-14 09:40:25

Wasn't Fredo the wimpy brother in The Godfather though as well?

I don't like Alfredo, I don't know any, but it seems another granddaddy name to me....

I don't like Nathan, so Natan doesn't do it for me either.

Nico all the way still for me!

Kevin is very popular here! (for some godawful reason that always makes me giggle!)

HaymitchAbarnathy Thu 06-Mar-14 09:45:53

Milo?

mariposa1 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:55:52

Thank you for the Natan feedback, have realised I don't love it either!

Alfredo is a bit too similar to DP's name. I do like Milo but worry about the mispronunciation potential...

Nico is still the front runner I think.

drinksangria that's so funny about Kevin, I've always wondered why it's such a popular name in Spain and Italy! When I lived in Barcelona I taught quite a few teenaged Kevins. We also know a few Italian ones. I've just asked DP and he thinks it's popularity is linked to the character in the Home Alone films confused

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 06-Mar-14 11:00:34

Blimey. grin

I've noticed a few Maicols around as well.

Dd had a Kevin and a Catherine in her nursery class (though Catherine kind of became Cet-reen by everyone which seems to defeat the point) But the best was Whitney with a hugely long and very southern Italian surname.

Oddly dd (who has a very old fashioned English flower name) was not the only one in her nursery class....I said to the teacher, I bet you never expected to have to write <insert name A> and <insert name B> on their artwork, did you?

mariposa1 Thu 06-Mar-14 11:13:40

It's so funny how names travel.

All the 'English' names which DP likes are inspired by American TV programmes he watched while growing up, or Hollywood actors (eg Dylan, Luke and Brad) whereas names that sound good to me (eg Oliver) just don't work at all in Italian...

Oriunda Thu 06-Mar-14 12:02:13

Niccolo/Nico) best then as pronounced same in both tongues (more or less). The one I know is a Conte so nice aristocratic name!

ohmymimi Thu 06-Mar-14 14:39:43

Aldo, Bruno, Franco.

BNmum Thu 06-Mar-14 15:55:49

Freddie/Frederick/Federico
Ottavio nn Otto
Rocco
Felice/Felix - I think it means happy smile
Mattia
Tobia

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 06-Mar-14 19:19:01

Antonio
Marco
Teo
Leonardo
Luca

I like Marco and Luca best such lovely names that are Italian but not overly popular and they are also easily spelt in English.

Nico is nice too, but a bit harder to spell for some as there are other variations fairly popular.

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 06-Mar-14 19:36:03

I mean not overly popular in England, obviously.

Also, some other suggestions that may be less popular or slightly different:

Beppe
Lothario
Luciano
Raul

fuzzyduck234 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:38:15

Our neighbours have 3 boys with italien names, they are Luca, Sav and Alessandro (Sandy) and the dad is Enzo!

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Mar-14 19:41:31

Giovanni (Gio) means John in English.

cingolimama Thu 06-Mar-14 19:46:32

I love so many of these names! Love love love Nico, and Marco and Luca. I notice that you like the shorter Italian names of two syllables. So I only have one to add:

Renzo

Congratulations!

NigellasDealer Thu 06-Mar-14 19:48:10

Giacomo/Jack?

mariposa1 Thu 06-Mar-14 21:18:49

I agree, there are so many nice Italian names that it make it hard to choose. Top choice still Nico but really like Lorenzo and Alessio. Still like Giacomo, Luca and Matteo but don't think DP wil go for any of them.

I'm 39 weeks tomorrow so hoping baby makes an appearance soon. I don't think we'll make a final decision until after we meet him, so I'll come and update the thread then smile

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

UnfinishedSentenc Thu 06-Mar-14 21:37:47

Valentino
Roman
Rocco (my fave)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now