Leo, Toby or Stephen?

(52 Posts)
indigenoustothesofa Sat 01-Mar-14 01:29:46

Ds is 3 weeks old, and we gave him one of the names in the thread title; however, I am now freaking out about it a bit and wondering if we have made a mistake. I don't know if I actually feel bad about the name or if this is how all my having-a-newborn-baby anxiety is manifesting, but it is really starting to bother me. The other names are shortlisted ones that I would most likely use if we decided to change it. Could you please let me know what you think of each of the names, and which you like most/least? I'm not going to base my decision entirely on the MN verdict, obviously, but it would really help.

Thanks smile

HoneyandRum Mon 03-Mar-14 22:49:45

Leo was my fav and then read your update OP - Leo just has a dynamism especially as it can't be shortened.

CoffeeChocolateWine Mon 03-Mar-14 21:48:45

Leo is my favourite, followed closely by Toby and Stephen quite a distant third.

I don't dislike the name Stephen, but I really dislike Steve.

BlackberryandNettle Mon 03-Mar-14 21:41:39

Well they are all nice, Stephen is the odd one out I suppose as know loads in the 30-40 age range. Stephen/ Stevie/ Steve is a great name though and kind of cool as not many babies around with it. Love Leo and Toby - Toby is on our list and Leo was on mine but DH not keen, really not sure why!!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 03-Mar-14 02:35:37

Leo without a doubt!

mammmamia Mon 03-Mar-14 01:34:14

Leo def

crimsonwitch Mon 03-Mar-14 01:21:01

My Leo (6) is the only one in his class with that name. It is gaining on popularity but that doesn't bother me. I don't agree that it will sound dated when he is older, I think it fits any age group.

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Mar-14 00:27:22

Leo

Mireio Mon 03-Mar-14 00:19:25

I definitely prefer Stephen. It's really underused right now, and it's a handsome classic.

scarletforya Sat 01-Mar-14 11:38:12

Leo is nice.

Stephen is a classic.

I don't like Toby, it's in the same family as Rupert, Jeremy etc

Caff2 Sat 01-Mar-14 11:31:49

I love Leo too, as I have one, but to be honest, it took me a while to get used to it, somehow.

Trooperslane Sat 01-Mar-14 10:03:39

Love Leo

pilates Sat 01-Mar-14 09:52:32

Toby and agree with CTF, Stephen is very 70's.

NadiaWadia Sat 01-Mar-14 09:37:36

That's a shame, Stephen was great, but Leo is nice enough.

Both Tobias and Leo nice but not STEVE!

indigenoustothesofa Sat 01-Mar-14 09:26:13

Thanks everyone smile TamerB - you're right, we did name him Stephen! However, despite the responses here being largely pro-Stephen, and still liking it myself, I still feel uneasy with it as a name for our baby... have just discussed this with DH and we have agreed to a 'trial run' of Leo, and I already feel like a weight's been lifted so suspect we will switch. Will be a bit embarrassing having to tell everyone we've changed our minds - ah well!

Thanks again for the replies, they've really helped me get my head around things.

Coconutty Sat 01-Mar-14 08:44:14

Leo is nice and Stephen but I really dislike Toby, no idea why it's so popular.

TamerB Sat 01-Mar-14 08:41:59

It seems that you can relax OP, whichever you chose is perfectly acceptable to the majority!

HyvaPaiva Sat 01-Mar-14 08:35:56

Stephen.

Toby and Leo are softer sounds, a bit too 'cutesy' for my liking. For me, anyway, names like those sound fine on a toddler but not so much for an adult.

curiousgeorgie Sat 01-Mar-14 08:31:40

Love Toby!

SingingGerbil Sat 01-Mar-14 08:31:06

If I ever had another DS, he would be called Toby.

ButEmilylovedhim Sat 01-Mar-14 08:28:05

I like Stephen most of those three, but they're all nice.

Shroomboom Sat 01-Mar-14 08:19:59

I prefer Toby, then Leo. Really couldn't name a child Stephen but that's probably because it's my dad's name grin

kimlo Sat 01-Mar-14 08:13:39

I like stephen best then Toby

I dont like leo

SanityClause Sat 01-Mar-14 07:46:06

I know a Leo who is a smug little git (he's about 12) so that would put me off that name. I'm sure not all Leos are like that, though.

I do like Toby. I think Tobias is better. It sounds very Dickensian.

Stephen is a bit meh.

tumbletumble Sat 01-Mar-14 07:42:21

Toby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now