help. hate the name we have chosen.

(50 Posts)

our son was born on feb 10th. matthew owen was a total.compromise. 3 weeks later and i DETEST it. please help.

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Feb-14 18:52:17

It's not too late to change it. Does your DP agree?

Ham69 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:53:16

Change it while he's so young if you really detest it that much. Is there a specific name you regret not calling him?

Smartiepants79 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:53:37

It's definitely not too late to change it. Have you even registered him yet?
Why such a big compromise?

no but he will go along with a change in the hope it makes me happier.

WowserBowser Thu 27-Feb-14 18:55:50

Is it both names you detest?

ophiotaurus Thu 27-Feb-14 18:56:09

What did you want to call him?

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Feb-14 18:57:08

Would changing his name really be the thing that would make you happy?

not registered yet. dislike both names. have very different taste in names and was too knackered to do anything than leap on anything we vaguely agreed on. need inspiration for an actual name.

love my other sons name (sam).

DitsyDonkey Thu 27-Feb-14 19:16:03

Detest is a strong word.....a lot of people come on saying they are not sure or regret but I think when you are saying detest you HAVE to change it. This is something he will have for the rest of his life and you should love it.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone changing their little ones name especially at 3 ish weeks fwiw!

BusinessUnusual Thu 27-Feb-14 19:18:49

Nathan
Archie
Jack
Danny

NeverEndingLaundry Thu 27-Feb-14 19:29:50

my brother has different names from the ones he had at birth - he was about 6 weeks I think but it was abroad and 35 yrs ago. Change if you want to - who cares? not the little babe.

perfectstorm Thu 27-Feb-14 19:34:53

Daniel
Noah
Harry
Richard (very traditional but, weirdly, really unusual at the moment)
Jude
Toby

What's Sam's middle name?

Change it. Don't be saddled with a name you hate for your own child.

JabberJabberJay Thu 27-Feb-14 19:38:06

Change it.

Especially if you have registered his name yet, there is no point registering a name you detest.

WowserBowser Thu 27-Feb-14 19:40:39

What was your original list?

ScentedScandal Thu 27-Feb-14 19:43:43

Change it now. Better to do it now than regret it later.

curiousgeorgie Thu 27-Feb-14 19:44:07

Of course you can change it...

Toby is lovely and goes well with Sam smile

woodrunner Thu 27-Feb-14 19:51:27

Sam is a good solid, trad name.
To go with it how about:
Edward
Henry
Ben
Joe
Alex
Adam

Also like the suggestion for Toby

my original list was very different to my husbands! nathaniel. robert. now im thinking henry which i used to hate.

Egusta Thu 27-Feb-14 19:56:43

John
Peter
Richard
all hardly used at the moment

bakingtins Thu 27-Feb-14 20:00:03

Are you sure Henry will stand the test of time? Nothing wrong with the name, but why do you like it now when you hated it previously? Sure that Matthew is not just a bit 'grown-up' for a squishy newborn? Are you coping ok otherwise? Name-regret does seem to go along with PND on similar threads. hate is a very strong word to describe a completely inoffensive name.
disclaimer, I am biased, I have a Matthew

Change it if you think it's wrong for him, but just be sure you are doing it for the right reasons and that you won't feel the same about name 2 a few weeks down the line.

NearTheWindymill Thu 27-Feb-14 20:00:10

I quite like Matt; does that seem better.

Trying to think of Sams and what their brothers are called - do you want to stick to a biblical theme? Fear I might out myself.

But what about Tom, Max, Ben. I also like Toby (prefer Tobin and shorten it). Daniel?

perfectstorm Thu 27-Feb-14 20:02:59

I have a similar interest to declare in Toby. wink I do think it goes well with Sam, though. Sam was high on our shortlist if #2 had been a boy as well.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Thu 27-Feb-14 20:03:12

Change if you need but just thought I'd say Matthew is a lovely name

JenJoWilson Thu 27-Feb-14 20:15:46

If you are saying you actually hate the name you need to change it, no rush, you have 3 weeks until you need to register don't you? We had an Olly for a week, but it didn't sit right with us, we sat down one night, wrote some names down, and picked one. Olly Jude is now Alfie Jude. He is going to wonder why all of his birth cards are addressed to "Olly" one day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now