Clementine or Avery for a girl

(64 Posts)
judyandthedreamofdonkeys Thu 27-Feb-14 16:54:32

just that really which do you prefer smile

SorryInAdvance Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:03

Very different names. Not a fan of either- Avery sounds more like a boy name to me, I like Ava though. Clementine feels a bit too frilly or over the top (I can't explain it, it's just not my personal taste) but I live the nickname Em/Emmie. I'd say Avery is my favourite out of the two.

peachysweet Sat 01-Mar-14 21:42:03

Clementine is v pretty.

They are v different names. I wouldn't imagine that the one person would be choosing between these two as the styles are so different.

Bonsoir Fri 28-Feb-14 20:46:00

Clementine is lovely!

Nottheshrinkingcapgrandpa Fri 28-Feb-14 20:45:19

Averyis fantastic smile

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 28-Feb-14 13:31:02

Avery

Clementine was the name of Winston Churchill's wife.

CaptainHindsight Fri 28-Feb-14 13:16:52

Love Avery, it is one of my favorites.

DH likes it because of American Dad hmm

Perpelxedandoverwhelmed Fri 28-Feb-14 13:14:00

Hello,
We have a 6 year old Clementine. We love her name, although we do get the occasional 'orange' comment, which has never bothered us. She's occasionally called Clem by classmates, but never Clemmie or any other derivative.

CalmTheFarm Fri 28-Feb-14 03:08:21

Defiantly Avery

nooka Fri 28-Feb-14 03:03:11

To me Avery is a boy (the slightly wild brother from Charlotte's Web) so I'd not choose it for a girl.

I'm not very keen on Clementine either. I have Clemency for a middle name and I just don't think the 'clem' sound is terribly nice.

NadiaWadia Fri 28-Feb-14 01:13:02

Lenore? That has been a name for a long time, never mind the fabric conditioner.

RoseHoney Fri 28-Feb-14 00:01:01

I want to know the name of the washing powder! This is driving me bananas, I've even googled lol.

LimeLelloLizard Thu 27-Feb-14 23:20:55

Avery

Clementine

Sorry, I know everyone is always really kind on this board, but this is what came to my mind.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 23:09:02

Don't want to out myself but not Ariel begins with l...

kerala Ariel?

I think where the name was originally a name and has then been taken over by a product, it is still a proper name and can be used.

Where the opposite is true and the product came first, then naming your child the same is a bit weird - desperately thinking of an example here!

Maybe I mean that something like Clio is still okay but Xerox isn't?

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 27-Feb-14 22:42:20

Avery is lovely!

DramaAlpaca Thu 27-Feb-14 22:39:41

Clementine is lovely.

Ava is much nicer than Avery.

I think of Avery as a boy's name or a surname.

IHaveSeenMyHat Thu 27-Feb-14 22:38:01

I love Clementine.

I think your intended nicknames sound really unnatural though (Avery, to me, shortens to Ave and not Ava) and I agree with whoever said you should go ahead and choose Ava or Emma/Emily/Emilia if that's what you prefer.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 22:35:11

Exactly. I really like the name flora sod the margarine. A girl in dds class has the same name as a brand of washing powder but I think good for the parents reclaim it

Avery is bad. Clementine is nice, but nicknamed Em is a bit odd.

The fruit thing is no more daft than people saying about Avery and printer labels - most names will have some kind of association to some people.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 21:58:00

The fruit thing as an objection to clem is daft. A priest named a type of orange he developed after a pope the name hugely pre dates the fruit. Anyway what's wrong with the fruit link? Nobody bats an eye at daisy rose or poppy why are flowers ok but not fruit?!

Both of these are on my girls list! Lovely names.

I think DH has vetoed both though for 'sounding like a fruit, or somewhere to keep pigeons' hmm

I think I liked Avery best.

RonaldMcDonald Thu 27-Feb-14 21:26:54

Love Clementine

florascotia Thu 27-Feb-14 21:19:16

Clementine could always be Clemence - a good name in its own right. Or even Clea (can't do accents on this computer - should be an acute on the 'e'. )

Am not so keen on Avery (I read it as 'a very'). And 'Ava' is very, very popular, if that matters to you. But that's just one opinion. Both are intrinsically really nice names.

Seminyak Thu 27-Feb-14 21:14:19

AVERY!!!! My 83 year old, British, female nanna's name. Might call my own daughter Avery nn Ava smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now