Clementine or Avery for a girl

(64 Posts)
judyandthedreamofdonkeys Thu 27-Feb-14 16:54:32

just that really which do you prefer smile

buttercrumble Thu 27-Feb-14 19:36:27

Clementine

SuperScrimper Thu 27-Feb-14 19:38:00

A Clementine WILL be Clem. I know 3 and they have all ended up Clem or Clemmie as has the Clement I know.

That and Clammy Clemmie and Phlegmy Clemmie.

Definitely Clementine, the only Avery I know is a boy wink and American (which is great if you're American!)

hatebeak Thu 27-Feb-14 19:44:03

Avery is great. It's definitely a name for a girl - an old variant of Aphra / Affery, I think?

SimplySara Thu 27-Feb-14 19:52:47

I'm not sure how people are associating Avery with America and not Clementine. You have all heard the song "oh my darling Clementine" which is an American traditional song about the California gold rush right? Usually sung in a faux strong American twang?

That being said I really really like both of them. Plus with Clementine you get a lullabye built in

weebleswillwobble Thu 27-Feb-14 20:08:03

Clementine, nn Clemmie

ClancyC Thu 27-Feb-14 20:14:08

Clementine. The name has grown on me loads recently

haleyalannahxo Thu 27-Feb-14 20:16:43

Clementine for sure! All the Avery's I know are boys. X

Bunbaker Thu 27-Feb-14 20:21:55

AverY Office Products manufacture printer labels and desktop sundries. Please don't use Avery.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Thu 27-Feb-14 20:22:33

Am I the only one who thinks its too similar to ovary?

Clem is a fruit.

BEEwitched Thu 27-Feb-14 20:23:13

Clementine is nice but I really prefer Avery.

RoseHoney Thu 27-Feb-14 20:29:45

Clementine!
Avery automatically makes me think of Ovary which is a shame as it's a pretty name.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 20:51:44

Clementine is beautiful (biased I have one). Don't use it though don't want it getting popular! Prefer pronunciation to rhyme with "wine" not "teen".

I prefer Avery, who wants to be a type of orange???

There is also Ainsley which has a similar vibe to Avery?

Seminyak Thu 27-Feb-14 21:14:19

AVERY!!!! My 83 year old, British, female nanna's name. Might call my own daughter Avery nn Ava smile

florascotia Thu 27-Feb-14 21:19:16

Clementine could always be Clemence - a good name in its own right. Or even Clea (can't do accents on this computer - should be an acute on the 'e'. )

Am not so keen on Avery (I read it as 'a very'). And 'Ava' is very, very popular, if that matters to you. But that's just one opinion. Both are intrinsically really nice names.

RonaldMcDonald Thu 27-Feb-14 21:26:54

Love Clementine

Both of these are on my girls list! Lovely names.

I think DH has vetoed both though for 'sounding like a fruit, or somewhere to keep pigeons' hmm

I think I liked Avery best.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 21:58:00

The fruit thing as an objection to clem is daft. A priest named a type of orange he developed after a pope the name hugely pre dates the fruit. Anyway what's wrong with the fruit link? Nobody bats an eye at daisy rose or poppy why are flowers ok but not fruit?!

The fruit thing is no more daft than people saying about Avery and printer labels - most names will have some kind of association to some people.

Avery is bad. Clementine is nice, but nicknamed Em is a bit odd.

kerala Thu 27-Feb-14 22:35:11

Exactly. I really like the name flora sod the margarine. A girl in dds class has the same name as a brand of washing powder but I think good for the parents reclaim it

IHaveSeenMyHat Thu 27-Feb-14 22:38:01

I love Clementine.

I think your intended nicknames sound really unnatural though (Avery, to me, shortens to Ave and not Ava) and I agree with whoever said you should go ahead and choose Ava or Emma/Emily/Emilia if that's what you prefer.

DramaAlpaca Thu 27-Feb-14 22:39:41

Clementine is lovely.

Ava is much nicer than Avery.

I think of Avery as a boy's name or a surname.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 27-Feb-14 22:42:20

Avery is lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now