What do you think of the name Eden?

(55 Posts)
thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:08

Were really struggling to find names we both agree on for a girl and so far the only 2 we've decided we like which are Eden and Caitlin/Caitlyn.

I'm quite liking Eden but wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts on it. I was surprised to learn it's a unisex name as I personally prefer it for a girl. We quite like names that aren't really unusual but aren't commonly heard either.

Our boys name shortlist is currently - Tobias, Marcus and Morgan

Mirage Wed 26-Feb-14 13:33:59

I got the name from 'A dark adapted eye' too! Her first name came from an episode of 'The Sopranos' so far less cerebral.grin

NadiaWadia Wed 26-Feb-14 04:56:26

Yes that's where I first heard it too! Probably that's why I think of it as female, but even if there was no such book, it still seems girly to me. There is something a bit harsh about Edith (maybe because I knew a few battleaxe old ladies with that name!) but Eden has a lovely sound.

TulipOHare Wed 26-Feb-14 02:12:48

The book Amethyst linked to is where I first heard (and loved) the name. Although was the TV adaptation. Aunt Eden was v glamorous but yes, not very nice!

IneedAwittierNickname Wed 26-Feb-14 00:09:49

I love it, and it definitely seems like a girls name to me. Even though I first.saw it as a name in the boys section of a name book.

Amethyst24 Wed 26-Feb-14 00:03:17

I think it's very pretty. There's a character in a Barbara Vine novel called Eden - she was named Edith but changed it to be cooler www.amazon.co.uk/A-Dark-Adapted-Eye-Barbara-Vine-ebook/dp/B002RI9X1K (she is a very unpleasant character though).

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Feb-14 23:58:27

I like it for a girl.

BackforGood Tue 25-Feb-14 23:54:43

I only like it for a garden, I'm afraid.

systemsmalfunction Tue 25-Feb-14 23:48:55

I know a female Morgan. Very cute

thecakeisalie Tue 25-Feb-14 19:53:17

Ah apologises for the confusion the link said something about a living doll so I wrongly assumed she was a doll blush . Even so its not a deal breaker because even with more commonly used names you can end up sharing s name wiyh someone you'd rather not, H from steps comes to mind.

So true Tulip. Plus odd nn's end up sticking, we call ds2 moo moo goodness knows where that came from.

TulipOHare Tue 25-Feb-14 18:31:56

Mine won't let me call her Edie. I have tried. DC can be so aggravating with their opinions about things grin

Mirage Tue 25-Feb-14 18:17:22

Love it,it is DD1's middle name.

bruffin Tue 25-Feb-14 18:16:46

Thats not a doll
Its a real child. She is pageant child who has her own reality show

thecakeisalie Tue 25-Feb-14 18:14:28

Bruffin - That doll is a little freaky. not enough on it's own to put me off though.

We obviously have good taste TulipOHare, I like it for the same reasons. It's not so unusual that people will pull funny faces when they hear it but not commonly used either. Plus it's simple but we can use the cute nn Edie.

I know what you mean about the religious connection Mireio but so many names are biblical names with meanings like 'gift from god' and so on. It would be difficult to pick a name without a religious connection.

Flicktheswitch Tue 25-Feb-14 16:51:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mireio Tue 25-Feb-14 16:51:16

It's too religious for me due to the Garden of Eden connection. Also, the only Eden I know is male.

PamHalpert Tue 25-Feb-14 16:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shlurpbop Tue 25-Feb-14 16:29:16

I only know female Edens. Love the name.

bruffin Tue 25-Feb-14 16:26:09

Unfortunately reminds me of

Eden Wood

EasterHoliday Tue 25-Feb-14 16:24:50

We nearly went for it, but we live not too far from the shopping centre, so it had to be a no.

TulipOHare Tue 25-Feb-14 16:22:56

My DD is named Eden, so obviously I am in favour grin

I love it, it suits her down to the ground and we gets loads of compliments on it.

I like that it is a bit off the beaten track, but still simple, easy to say and spell, and has historical / cultural resonance.

It means "delightful" or something in Hebrew. Which is nice smile

manicinsomniac Tue 25-Feb-14 15:29:02

I love it for a girl. Quite like it for a boy too.

FloppyPoppyCocky Mon 24-Feb-14 21:46:08

I love the name Eden for a girl. I know one lovely little Eden. I also love Morgan for a girl too.

thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 20:38:42

Well I can honestly say I'd never heard of the shopping centre in High Wycombe but that's probably because I've never been to High Wycombe. It's ok though our ds1's name is also the name of a city in the US, it didn't put us off in fact I think it's quite nice he has his very own city!

Luckily our surname is not Project or Garden so I think were safe there.

I think were fairly immune from connections with names (within reason) as were still considering Morgan for dc3 even though ds2 is Dexter - make that connection and tell me if were just plain weird for still considering the name.

FloppyPoppyCocky Mon 24-Feb-14 20:08:48

Why in the name of all that is holy does it matter that a random shopping centre in a random town in the South East is called Eden! And more to the point why would it put you off?

sonlypuppyfat Mon 24-Feb-14 20:08:26

I had a perfume called Eden once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now