What do you think of the name Eden?

(55 Posts)
thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:08

Were really struggling to find names we both agree on for a girl and so far the only 2 we've decided we like which are Eden and Caitlin/Caitlyn.

I'm quite liking Eden but wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts on it. I was surprised to learn it's a unisex name as I personally prefer it for a girl. We quite like names that aren't really unusual but aren't commonly heard either.

Our boys name shortlist is currently - Tobias, Marcus and Morgan

Amethyst24 Wed 26-Feb-14 00:03:17

I think it's very pretty. There's a character in a Barbara Vine novel called Eden - she was named Edith but changed it to be cooler www.amazon.co.uk/A-Dark-Adapted-Eye-Barbara-Vine-ebook/dp/B002RI9X1K (she is a very unpleasant character though).

IneedAwittierNickname Wed 26-Feb-14 00:09:49

I love it, and it definitely seems like a girls name to me. Even though I first.saw it as a name in the boys section of a name book.

TulipOHare Wed 26-Feb-14 02:12:48

The book Amethyst linked to is where I first heard (and loved) the name. Although was the TV adaptation. Aunt Eden was v glamorous but yes, not very nice!

NadiaWadia Wed 26-Feb-14 04:56:26

Yes that's where I first heard it too! Probably that's why I think of it as female, but even if there was no such book, it still seems girly to me. There is something a bit harsh about Edith (maybe because I knew a few battleaxe old ladies with that name!) but Eden has a lovely sound.

Mirage Wed 26-Feb-14 13:33:59

I got the name from 'A dark adapted eye' too! Her first name came from an episode of 'The Sopranos' so far less cerebral.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now