What do you think of the name Eden?

(55 Posts)
thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:08

Were really struggling to find names we both agree on for a girl and so far the only 2 we've decided we like which are Eden and Caitlin/Caitlyn.

I'm quite liking Eden but wanted to gauge other peoples thoughts on it. I was surprised to learn it's a unisex name as I personally prefer it for a girl. We quite like names that aren't really unusual but aren't commonly heard either.

Our boys name shortlist is currently - Tobias, Marcus and Morgan

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 08:45:40

lo

5madthings Mon 24-Feb-14 08:46:11

love it, its my dds middle name. she is merryn lola eden smile

Love Eden! I would use it for a girl, however I know of two boys called Eden round here. Just so you know.

MrsWolowitz Mon 24-Feb-14 08:49:25

I love Eden for a girl.

msrisotto Mon 24-Feb-14 08:54:18

Honestly, I think it is strange. And a bit sexual, forbidden fruit and all that. Quite a heavily laden name when you think about it!

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Feb-14 08:54:52

I like it

Shatteredmamma1 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:57:10

I really love it. Could nn 'Edie' if you wanted, also sweet

natandmat Mon 24-Feb-14 09:14:37

I really like it, but I think of it more as a boys name, infact it was on my boys final list!

thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 09:29:00

I like the nn Edie too Shatteredmamma1 which I think would be quite cute while little.

mcrisotto I had thought of the whole Garden of Eden connection but hadn't really thought of it having a sexual connection on any level. I see what your saying though.

I don't have a problem with it being a unisex name just for some reason if we were to use it then it feels like a girls name. In the same way that Morgan is on our boys shortlist but not our girls - I prefer it for a boy but don't have a problem with it being a girls name too.

Although I do wonder if unisex names are a bit of a burden. Will they get annoyed always having to clarify if they are male or female, getting letters with the wrong title on them etc?

RighteousSausage Mon 24-Feb-14 09:36:12

I know a little girl Eden and the name really suits her. I'm Catholic and have never thought it had sexual connotations.

Morgause Mon 24-Feb-14 09:38:11

Eden Kane was a really grim pop star when I was a kid. Hopefully no one would remember him.

I think it could work.

Awks Mon 24-Feb-14 09:39:39

It's my dd2's middle name. It would have been her first name if dh hadn't been sounreasonable keen on the one we chose

notso Mon 24-Feb-14 09:46:04

I know a few Edens. I prefer it for a girl, I think it is pretty.

Yy to Edie as a NN.

Sneezecakesmum Mon 24-Feb-14 09:51:56

Love it. And Merryn ........... Both vetoed sad

Shatteredmamma1 Mon 24-Feb-14 10:45:56

Lovely smile was on my list for a girl. Slightly jealous!! grin

thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 10:48:44

My Dh has vetoed loads of girls names. We have two boys already so I honestly thought picking a girls name would be easier but its been harder because we can't agree on what we like. Coming up with a third boys name has been much easier than expected because we know what we like.

Thanks everyone it has reassured me seeing other people's opinions. It's staying on the shortlist and I'll just have to wait now to see what sex this baby is and whether the name suits them.

thecakeisalie Mon 24-Feb-14 10:52:18

Hold the jealousy for now Shatteredmamma1 we don't know what we've got in there yet so chances are we'll be naming a third boy! I've got a feeling it might be a girl though not sure whether to trust my instinct or not smile

Shatteredmamma1 Mon 24-Feb-14 14:03:36

Haha smile you could always go with Aidan for a boy!!!

Highlystrungmum Mon 24-Feb-14 14:29:53

Gorgeous name for a girl

Oxtailchambermaid Mon 24-Feb-14 14:51:41

I worked with a chunky, rugby playing New Zealander called Eden so for that reason alone I sit in the "it's a boys name" camp.

27mummmy2boys Mon 24-Feb-14 14:59:54

I'm having a girl and I have two boys was convinced it was a boy aswell so you never know!!

I think I would use Eden more for a middle name but I do like it! smile

HomeHelpMeGawd Mon 24-Feb-14 15:04:48

It's a lovely name. Here are three pronunciations: ee-den, ay-den and edden.

HomeHelpMeGawd Mon 24-Feb-14 15:04:57

There not here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now