Stella

(43 Posts)
Beachballfamily Wed 19-Feb-14 23:11:27

Going in for a c-section tomorrow. We know its a girl. After much agonising, think we've decided on Stella. DH is particularly keen and I really like it too - my only worries are the connection to the beer, and the fact that it can't really be shortened. What do you think? Can you reassure me?

Other options are Tessa and Merryn, if anyone thinks those are much better!

SomethingAboutNothing Wed 19-Feb-14 23:13:33

Sorry but it makes me think of the beer.

I quite like your other suggestions though.

NadiaWadia Wed 19-Feb-14 23:41:35

Stella is lovely. It was a classic name long before the beer. One day the beer will be forgotten.

NadiaWadia Wed 19-Feb-14 23:45:54

After all a manufacturer can name their product anything they like. When I was a kid there was car called a Marina. So people may have hesitated before naming their daughters that. But now probably hardly anyone remembers that car, and would just think of Marina as a nice name. Products are ephemeral.

AbiRoad Wed 19-Feb-14 23:59:34

I don't think it matters that a 2 syllable name can't be shortened. Shortening seems to be more prevalent for longer names - 1 syllable names get lengthened, 3 syllable names get shortened and 2 syllable names (for girls anyway) often survive just as they are. For boys i acknowledge 2syllable names are oftened shortened -tom, will, matt, joe etc.

I wouldn't worry about the beer, but I equally like the name flora and dont think margarine. I don't think of beer when I think of Stella McCartney or Stella tennant, , and the latter has 2 beer names!

ummingandahhing Thu 20-Feb-14 00:06:23

When I hear Stella, I think of Stella Gibbons, the author that wrote Cold Comfort Farm. Absolutely fabulous book!

squoosh Thu 20-Feb-14 00:53:17

It doesn't remind me of the beer. I just hear a feisty and feminine name.

Cezella Thu 20-Feb-14 02:34:12

My best friend is called Estelle but I always always call her "Stell" so it does have a shortening after all!!

meditrina Thu 20-Feb-14 04:54:54

Lager.

GertBySea Thu 20-Feb-14 05:01:19

I didn't think of the beer, but I so prefer the other two. We know a Merryn shortened to Merry, which is cute for a little girl.

Beachballfamily Thu 20-Feb-14 05:47:47

Hmm, not as reassuring as I was hoping. I appreciate the honesty though! Can I throw Zoe into the mix as well? Stella is the front runner, followed by Tessa, Merryn and Zoe. Not sure how to reach a decision on this one..

Iheartcrunchiebars Thu 20-Feb-14 05:50:43

I didn't think of the beer at all.

Thrillybumsmum Thu 20-Feb-14 06:24:29

I love Stella. I think it's very elegant and classy. If I thought of anything It would be Stella from a street car named desire or Estelle from Great Expectations. Good luck!

AuntieStella Thu 20-Feb-14 06:33:12

Beer

(I thought my homage would be obvious!)

SS3J Thu 20-Feb-14 07:14:36

I definitely prefer Stella to all your others. Lovely name, and there are enough well-known Stellas that the beer thing isn't a problem imo. All the best for today!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 20-Feb-14 07:16:28

I really like Stella. Good luck with your section!

capercaillie Thu 20-Feb-14 07:19:21

I love Stella. Know an 18 year old one wig is lovely!

YouCanTakeAHorseToWater Thu 20-Feb-14 07:21:19

Stella screams lager to me I'm afraid. Merryn is rather lovely though...

Thrillybumsmum Thu 20-Feb-14 07:21:45

I love Stella. I think it's very elegant and classy. If I thought of anything It would be Stella from a street car named desire or Estelle from Great Expectations. Good luck!

Yika Thu 20-Feb-14 07:22:05

I love Stella, and don't think of the beer (but then again, I don't drink beer).

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 20-Feb-14 07:22:42

Beer=- she would be popular with men in pubs with a name like that- sorry.

bakingtins Thu 20-Feb-14 07:23:05

Much prefer Merryn, but who cares what we think? Good luck today!

PlumSykes Thu 20-Feb-14 07:23:11

I love Stella, and Zoe too, actually. One of my best friends has a little Stella, it's a beautiful name. It makes me think of Stella McCartney, not a lager.

baskingseals Thu 20-Feb-14 07:23:27

Stella is by far the loveliest name on your list. Beautiful name.

Cezella Thu 20-Feb-14 08:23:07

I think Stella is the loveliest name on your list followed by Merryn, then Tessa and then Zoe. Good luck with your c section! Come back and let us know what you decide to go for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now