same names different spellings?

(21 Posts)
MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 19:50:39

Aimee or Amy?
Hollie or Holly?
Amelia or Emilia?

DD1 is Ella and our surname ends "ie".

Tea1Sugar Tue 18-Feb-14 20:07:14

You know what I'll say!! Emilia :-) In fact I love the fact we've chosen it for dd2 so much I've had a large wall sticker made for the nursery :-)

MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 20:20:07

No going back now then!!!! have you chosen her middle name yet? Your Emilia influence has defo crept onto our list...! grin

Tea1Sugar Tue 18-Feb-14 20:29:17

Perhaps Emilia and Ella are are a bit similar? Two identical sounds. What about Amelie?

MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 20:43:07

And we have an Emma and an Emily in the family....

Amelie is lovely but I just can't see a 30 year old woman being called Amelie... Amelia/Emilia is just timeless, ageless and classic. Amelie just seems like a very "now" name.

Hubs likes Amy and Holly. DD when asked what her sister is called says Holly. She can barely even talk but is quite dismissive of other names and insists on Holly everytime.

Have just text hubs with Aria... we shall see. Prob a bit too out there for him though. I seem to have a thing about A and E names...Alice, Aurelia, Amelia, Alicia, Amy, Aria... Emilia, Ella, Elsie, Eliza, Elise. Shame hubs is a fuckwit :-)

HyvaPaiva Tue 18-Feb-14 20:44:46

Amalia?

Tea1Sugar Tue 18-Feb-14 20:48:40

Ava? Annalise? Esme? Erin?
Just smack him :D

MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 20:51:50

Do you think we should avoid E names? Love Ava but surname begins V... so all a bit "v"ey.

smack him? poor DH wink

MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 20:52:06

sorry... couldn't resist!!!!

Tea1Sugar Tue 18-Feb-14 20:59:49

Oh God!!! Haha. Yes don't. You'll be banged up by the mn feminist brigade...

Maybe so that the girls don't both get post to Miss E. V...

Ummm Abigail, Annabel, Anna, Alana, Aliyah, Amy, Amber, alexia, Alexis, Amanda. I'll keep thinking!

To answer the original question:

Amy
Holly
Amelia

would also suggest:

Heidi
Amarys
Astrid

MrsRV Tue 18-Feb-14 21:41:54

soontobe... Amarys... Is this pronounced Am(as in I am...)-ar-iss?

SimplySara Tue 18-Feb-14 21:58:03

Not a fan of -ie instead of -y endings, especially in the case of Amy, it just looks like you are trying to over complicate it. Its attraction is its simplicity

Mrs RV, yes. Also spelled Amaris. Sounds modern but I think it is actually Biblical.

bouncingbelle Tue 18-Feb-14 22:10:36

Amber?

Just checked Amaris seems the more traditional spelling and it is a Hebrew name (so would be old testament)

HenriettaTurkey Tue 18-Feb-14 22:15:27

Amy
Holly
Amelia

I also like Anaïs and Elodie.

And I think Nina and Dinah go well with Ella...

HenriettaTurkey Tue 18-Feb-14 22:16:37

...that says Anais, btw! But with an umlaut on the i.

How about Amelia and Amy for short? Best of both worlds.

florascotia Wed 19-Feb-14 09:34:41

This may not be relevant, and I may be wrong, but I think Amaris is a Hebrew word now used as a name, especially in America. I don't think it's actually mentioned as a name in the Bible.

On the other hand, Damaris was a woman who lived in Greece, and certainly is mentioned in the New Testament en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damaris_%28biblical_figure%29

MrsRV Thu 20-Feb-14 21:59:29

thanks all.. however, we have now found "the one"!!!! hooray!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now